• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBT question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbubbles

Good morning everyone

Apologies if this question has already been answered but I have searched high and low and cannot find the answer.

In the paper GBT, I understand you are marked on number of lines completed and number of errors & omissions. My question is this.

If I reach, for example, line 10 and I only have time to mark one or two dot groups in the line before my 2 minutes expires, how does the marker know that I did not miss however many 4 dot groups were in that line, and that instead I just did not have time to complete the line? How do they tell the difference between an uncompleted final line and a final line in which I made lots of omissions?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Good morning everyone

Apologies if this question has already been answered but I have searched high and low and cannot find the answer.

In the paper GBT, I understand you are marked on number of lines completed and number of errors & omissions. My question is this.

If I reach, for example, line 10 and I only have time to mark one or two dot groups in the line before my 2 minutes expires, how does the marker know that I did not miss however many 4 dot groups were in that line, and that instead I just did not have time to complete the line? How do they tell the difference between an uncompleted final line and a final line in which I made lots of omissions?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I am aware you are marked up to the last mark you have made. So if you mark the very first group on a line and nothing else, you won't be marked past that point.

I'm not an examiner though so this could be wrong, but it seems the most logical as they will not know how far along the line you have seen.

Jme_Bud

The number of dots or characters you are asked to find will appear quiet frequently, so can't see it being an issue.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

12guard4

I think you're overthinking this, you will not have time in the test to be thinking about this sort of thing and if you are then you obviously aren't giving the paper your full concentration. Best advice I can give is just do as much as you can as accurately as you can.

falcon

They only count full lines. It's easy to fiddle the GBT. You just make sure when you cross off a 4 dot configuration you always check the next two immediate configurations. You do this because they fail you if you miss three 4 dot configurations in a batch. You can miss single 4 dot shapes but miss one batch of three in a row and your gone. Missing 3 in a row that are all next to each other shows a lack of concentration. You have been warned ! :D

Bromley boy

Established Member
They only count full lines. It's easy to fiddle the GBT. You just make sure when you cross off a 4 dot configuration you always check the next two immediate configurations. You do this because they fail you if you miss three 4 dot configurations in a batch. You can miss single 4 dot shapes but miss one batch of three in a row and your gone. Missing 3 in a row that are all next to each other shows a lack of concentration. You have been warned ! :D

Where did you get this information from? Sounds like rubbish to me. :roll:

OP, don't mess around to cheat the system. Just buy the Richard McMunn book and practice. Focus on accuracy first and work on building up your speed. Worked for me!

Best of luck with it.

dazzayid

They mark you up until your last mark, that's why u should always go left to right. They will also tell u this so if you go left to right on the top line then right to left on next line u will mess up unless u get lucky. Also if u cannot follow a simply instruction they give u then u will fail.

Don't believe the cheat comment. Just practice hard. Print sheets off and practice practice practice. U will recognise patterns and u will mark them off without even counting dots.

vintagegt

There is a 'sticky' thread on this forum with the full GBT test software where you can take as many practice tests as you like. No need to buy any books.

...oh, and totally ignore the guy who suggested you attempt to cheat in some way. That is the single worst advice I've read anywhere on this forum.

Don't overthink it, practice hard and go in confident and relaxed. You will be fine.

Bromley boy

Established Member
There is a 'sticky' thread on this forum with the full GBT test software where you can take as many practice tests as you like. No need to buy any books.

He's doing the paper version of the test so it makes sense to practice on paper, rather than online.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.