• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Bridge Project

38Cto15E

Are GCR(N) responsible for maintenance of the permanent way between Loughborough and Ruddington? If so where is the actual dividing line between GCR(N)'s responsibility and Network Rail's, is it the Leicester side of the A60 Nottingham Road bridge? TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
As GCR(N) trains have run down and over the A60 bridge onto the embankment, I think the end point is effectively at the top of the chord line to the MML.DSCF7061a.JPG
This taken from the A60 road between the MML road-bridge and the GCR overbridge.

Last edited:

Nottingham59

Established Member
Are GCR(N) responsible for maintenance of the permanent way between Loughborough and Ruddington? If so where is the actual dividing line between GCR(N)'s responsibility and Network Rail's?

According to the 2000 Order allowing the transfer of the line to GCR(N), the actual dividing line seems to be 78 metres along the chord from the GCR London Extension (Railway No1) towards the MML.

The Chord is referred to as Railway No.2: "An existing railway (78 metres in length) in the county of Leicestershire, borough of Charnwood, consisting of part of the railway (Work No.8) described in and authorised by the British Railways Act 1971 commencing with a junction with Railway No.1 at its termination and extending in the direction of the junction between that existing railway and the Midland main line railway from Leicester to Derby."

That makes sense as the boundary would be on plain track, rather than within a junction. Looking at Google Maps, I'd say that was about half way down the chord.

On the GCR Line, ownership seems to extend all the way to "a point adjoining the north-eastern abutments of the demolished bridge which formerly carried the London extension over the Midland main line" (Railway No3).

See the Schedule here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/2585/made

Last edited:

38Cto15E

Thanks Phil presumably that is about 100 metres maximum on the south side of the A60 bridge, which I assume GCR(N) is responsible for.

Therefore it is very doubtful that the GCR could join up with the chord line and still have a big enough headshunt to accomodate say a 10 coach train without crossing the A60 bridge, I wouldn't think so.

I am just trying to get my head around some of the suggestions in Main Line magazine of joining up with Network Rail for a MML connection to the GCR.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I think there is a degree of misunderstanding as a result of the clumsily worded article in Main Line.
In completing the "Bridging the Gap" with the laying of track North from Loughborough over the canal bridge, the ""to be built", embankment, Factory flyover arches and bridges etc, there will be connection to the GCR(N) operation and connection to the Midland Main Line (Via that existing Chord line). It may well be Commercially more useful to use that chord connection whilst the operations at Ruddington are brought up to the ORR standard. We hope of course that this improvement will have happened much sooner. I'm sure we will see the running of trains North from Loughborough as soon as the "gap" is closed. As ever it will depend on fundraising and the total is approaching £500,000 in less than a year for stages 3 and 4 - the Factory Flyover.

38Cto15E

Once again Thanks Phil and also to Nottingham59.
Unfortunately the Coronavirus Covid-19 virus could set the reunification of the railway back a few years with the massive decline in income to the GCR.
I was a bit late in paying my membership renewal last Autumn, I hadn't had a reminder and I completely forgot about renewal as I wasn't visiting the railway.

Flying Phil

Established Member
There is good news that the A60 bridge will be able to re open for rail traffic in the near future.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Andy
It seems that there was a concern but, following a more detailed assessment, the basic structure was still relatively sound - at least until the "Gap" refurb is needed.

In other good news...from GCR and on the TV local news last night
"latest ‘Money Match March’ promotion. Just a year into the ‘Factory Flyover’ appeal, we have more than half a million pounds in the pot - and now we can boost that even further! During March 2021, thanks to a very generous supporter, any money given to the appeal will be matched pound for pound up to a value of one hundred thousand pounds."

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hi Andy
It seems that there was a concern but, following a more detailed assessment, the basic structure was still relatively sound - at least until the "Gap" refurb is needed.

In other good news...from GCR and on the TV local news last night
"latest ‘Money Match March’ promotion. Just a year into the ‘Factory Flyover’ appeal, we have more than half a million pounds in the pot - and now we can boost that even further! During March 2021, thanks to a very generous supporter, any money given to the appeal will be matched pound for pound up to a value of one hundred thousand pounds."
That is good news to hear.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Much more information has now been posted on the "Reunification" section on the GCR website including this......

"While one of the reclaimed Reading bridge decks will still be used to cross Railway Terrace road, the remainder of the new sixty metres of formation are expected to be created using pre stressed concrete bridge beams and decks. Cass Hayward believe this approach will be more economic, simpler to build and in the long term simpler to maintain".

Flying Phil

Established Member
The "Money Match March" total donated has already reached over £50,000 - so halfway to the match funding available of £100,000.......Well done to all concerned!

More news from the GCR
"...we’re going to be holding another one of our popular online talks at short notice on Sunday the 28th of March. This time, the subject is the award winning signalling on our double track main line. Join broadcaster Tom Ingall exploring the signal boxes and systems that make our gala events spectacular. Unusual videos, behind the scene pictures and diagrams galore will fill this brand new sixty minute talk.
As always the online Zoom meeting will begin at 7pm with the presentation beginning at 7.15pm BST. (Please note, this is the day the UK switches to BST). We ask for a £10 minimum donation to join the talk and the limit is 100 places. Anything donated above the £10 will qualify for Money Match March.
You’ll need Zoom on your PC, Mac or tablet which can be downloaded for free. Once you’ve donated, you’ll receive the meeting number and passcode to join, via email around midday on the 28th."

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
There were 3 or 4 workers on the A60 bridge yesterday who seemed to be shovelling ballast, so something is happening....Also the GCR (N) at Ruddington, is due to re-open in mid April I believe, with rail services following around May/June.

Last night there was a good Zoom talk on GCR Signal and Telegraph matters. It was recorded and will probably appear on the GCR website soon. It has also raised more money for the Gap project - This month nearly £100K has been raised, with match funding, this will bring the total in just over a year to about £750,000 - a Fantastic achievement by all donors.

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
Latest from GCR.....
".....Support was received from enthusiasts and well wishers around the world. A late flurry of donations just before the end of the month saw one hundred and fifty thousand pounds received, well over the available ‘matching funds’. When added to the match funding, the new grand total is an incredible seven hundred and fifty five thousand pounds".

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Latest from GCR.....
".....Support was received from enthusiasts and well wishers around the world. A late flurry of donations just before the end of the month saw one hundred and fifty thousand pounds received, well over the available ‘matching funds’. When added to the match funding, the new grand total is an incredible seven hundred and fifty five thousand pounds".

Really good to see such support for the railway Phil.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Thanks Cowley
What is really great is that the total on 1st Dec was £375,000 - so in just Four Months an extra £400,000 has been added. Even if you allow for the Money Match March £100,000, the fundraising is going really well......Well Done to all those people who are supporting the reunification project. Mind you, I still hope to see an engine in steam on the canal bridge in the near future......even if it is put there from a low loader!

Flying Phil

Established Member
In an update newsletter from the GCR it is stated that ....." Attention has also turned to Bridge 326 which crosses the A60 on the northern section of the Great Central and which has been closed to rail traffic following a detailed survey. Significant repairs are required and GCR plc are actively assisting with arriving at an effective and prompt solution as, by default, this becomes an essential part of linking up as rail traffic from the south must cross this bridge on the down side to link up with the up line from Ruddington."

Flying Phil

Established Member
There was a very useful Zoom update given tonight by Tom Ingall. (He was a late substitution for Nigel Harris). One important item mentioned is that the EMRT is very actively getting design work done for the A60 bridge repair/refurbishment/replacement.
The money raised total has now reached £906,000. The cost of the factory flyover (Sections 3 and 4 on the plan) has been reduced to £2.5M following the design revisions from Cass Hayward. The Pre planning consultation with Charnwood Council is going well and the intention is to - subject to money raising and Planning Approval, start work in early 2023....which is 50 years since trains started running on the preserved GCR.

38Cto15E

Thanks for the update Phil, what does EMRT stand for?
Secondly I assume the embankment between the new (ish) bridge over the MML and the GCRN will be the final part of the jigsaw.
A shame that Nigel Harris was unable to zoom in.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Thanks for the update Phil, what does EMRT stand for?
Secondly I assume the embankment between the new (ish) bridge over the MML and the GCRN will be the final part of the jigsaw.
A shame that Nigel Harris was unable to zoom in.
Hi
EMRT is the East Midlands Railway Trust and, I believe, they have the responsibility for the land that the GCR(N) runs over. They do have a new website which explains in much more detail the situation.
According to the zoom talk, that short missing bit of embankment could go in after the factory flyover - especially if the full £3M is raised.....this would "just" leave the 300m embankment North of the canal bridge to be built. Assuming the A60 bridge is also sorted soon.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I was excited to see some action on site North of the MML bridge....DSC00671.JPG

Is it for.....A 60 bridge?.....missing bit of the embankment?......No, it is apparently for NR to do some brook work under the MML.

I was able to visit North of the engine shed and saw that the area has been cleared of some clutter and it looks like the canal bridge is being prepared for some more work on the deck and approaches. There is a lot of "behind the scenes" work going on re the A60 bridge so that could well be the next major development.DSC00699.JPGDSC00700.JPG
Incidently it is a bit frustrating that my updates to this thread get "lost" because nobody else contributes between my posts- it is a peculiarity of this forum.

Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member
Thanks Phil an excellent update.

Yes the forums daft policy of not showing updates when you edit is a problem, especially on updates like yours. Maybe OK on the same date, but still in the following week? Nope!

Flying Phil

Established Member
It certainly is annoying to see the graffiti on that new brickwork - so senseless. I think they consider it part of "the rail system" therefore fair game for their "art".....?
I believe the canal bridge will be having ballast put down in the near future so that membrane will be straightened and covered.
I was also puzzled to see that new smokebox behind the shed on the left of the picture, not sure which locomotive it is going on...is it the RSH no 7686?

AndyY1951

I don't believe that the graffiti vandals consider anything, any flat surface is fair game to them, irrespective of ownership.
Once again the problem is lack of adequate punishment on the rare occasion that they are identified. They should be forced to clean it off at their own expense for starters.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I don't believe that the graffiti vandals consider anything, any flat surface is fair game to them, irrespective of ownership.
Once again the problem is lack of adequate punishment on the rare occasion that they are identified. They should be forced to clean it off at their own expense for starters.
I agree.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The good news is that the A 60 bridge is to be replaced by a new concrete precast structure (Similar, but longer to the recent Quorn replacement bridge 341). Also the fundraising is going ahead, lead by the East Midlands Railway Trust (EMRT). I'm sure the DCRT/GCR will also be involved. This could proceed quite quickly so that the Gypsum trains can restart.
Of course, this also means that 4 more out of the 7 sections for Re-unification are about to happen. 3 and 4 are the factory flyover, 5 is the infill Northern embankment, 7 is the A 60 bridge. That only leaves the 300m embankment by Preci-Spark to the canal bridge, section 6.