• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

general health parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr203

I have followed with interest the blood pressure's thread, realising that I do not know exactly what will happen during the medical (if I ever get there, that is). Considering that I have applied for a signaller job, what is the doctor going to look at? I know hearing and eyesight tests, but do not know the thresholds. What about height, weight etc?

Thanks
Rory

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Not sure about the height, we have people of all shapes and sizes where I work from people who are 6'4" down to people who are about 5'4".

I do know weight limits tend to be centred on BMI, the upper limit is loosely 33 but I don't think it's an automatic fail if you are above that.

benno79

I had my medical for groundstaff a couple of days ago. It consisted of filling in quite a bit of paperwork detailing your medical history.
Vision - near and fields of vision, colour
blood pressure, pulse
mobility and balance, ie moving your arms and clapping, lifting your legs and turning them , crossing your arms, closing your eyes while nurse counts to 15
vision - distance
hearing
breath - normal and peak flow, taking a deep breath and blowing out for as long and then as hard as you can.
urine sample for drugs and alcohol, also breathe into a breathalyser.

I assume a signallers medical would be broadly similar.
I was told I was slightly overweight but that it wasn't a problem, the nurse asked if I was doing anything to lose weight and I said I hoped a more physical job would help me in that regard.

Last edited:

W230

Established Member
With driving they do all sorts like drug screening, ECG, the hearing and sight tests, colour vision, checked I didn't have restricted movement in my limbs. Also blood pressure and pulse. Not sure which of these would be required for signalling but I guess most will be.

TDK

Established Member
Not sure about the height, we have people of all shapes and sizes where I work from people who are 6'4" down to people who are about 5'4".

I do know weight limits tend to be centred on BMI, the upper limit is loosely 33 but I don't think it's an automatic fail if you are above that.

I think the BMI is only an issue for ergonomics especially for drivers, I do not think it will be so strict with a signal(wo)mans grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.