• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

TheEdge

Established Member
Immanuel Kant, Heidegger, David Hume, Schopenhauer, Hegel, Wittgenstein, Schlegel, Nietzche, Socrates, John Stuart Mill, Plato, Aristotle, Hobbes, Ren Descartes, Socrates.

If in doubt, Monty Python. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Immanuel Kant, Heidegger, David Hume, Schopenhauer, Hegel, Wittgenstein, Schlegel, Nietzche, Socrates, John Stuart Mill, Plato, Aristotle, Hobbes, Ren Descartes, Socrates.

If in doubt, Monty Python. :D

I am amazed ..... 100% right, and so quick! The opportunity to slander philosophers is yours, sir!

TheEdge

Established Member
I am amazed ..... 100% right, and so quick! The opportunity to slander philosophers is yours, sir!

I'll admit I was listening to it to try and get the more obscure ones, then judged that as I knew exactly where it was from and couldn't spell most of them getting the lyrics was okay. :lol:

What is so scary about Andy's birthday party in Toy Story 1?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'll admit I was listening to it to try and get the more obscure ones, then judged that as I knew exactly where it was from and couldn't spell most of them getting the lyrics was okay. :lol:

Ah, that explains it - still, well done!

deltic1989

Established Member
It was one of my favourite films as a kid, and still holds the attention of my kids today.

I don't have a question prepared at this point . So I'll declare an open floor.

Calthrop

Established Member
As it's open floor --

Which character in a much-liked fantasy / legend-re-telling, novel series; was living their (very long) life, "backwards" through history, in relation to everyone else: thus, in the Middle Ages they would reminisce to their associates, about the twentieth century ?

Strat-tastic

Established Member
You may have heard the phrase, 'Give him an inch and he'll take a mile.'

What was the original unit of measurement used in the phrase instead of mile, and how long is it?

Calthrop

Established Member
Bang on! Take it away :)

Thanks.

In biology / taxonomy, fish now extant on earth fall into three Classes; one of these three – the one featuring a far greater number of species, than the other two – is divided into two Sub-Classes. Please give a descriptive title of one kind or another for each of: the three Classes and the two sub-ditto. Virtual “bonus points” if you give the scientific Greek / Latin names of the categories concerned; but that is not insisted on !

Calthrop

Established Member
DC -- I'm much inclined to give you this one as correct -- could you do a job just a tad more serious, re the "bony" ones? (The difference is to do with their respective fins.) Look it up by all means, for me.

DaleCooper

Established Member
DC -- I'm much inclined to give you this one as correct -- could you do a job just a tad more serious, re the "bony" ones? (The difference is to do with their respective fins.) Look it up by all means, for me.

Lampreys was a complete shot in the dark and as for bony fish there's something lurking in my memory about spiny fins (the other variety presumably being non-spiny). Is that it?

Calthrop

Established Member
Lampreys was a complete shot in the dark and as for bony fish there's something lurking in my memory about spiny fins (the other variety presumably being non-spiny). Is that it?

I’ll say “correct” – I’m much impressed with your accomplishment in the memory line. Bony fishes are “ray-finned” = fins supported by bony or horny spines (an enormous majority of the sub-class are this kind); or “lobe-finned”.

Showing-off on my part –

Class “bony fish” (Osteichthyes); sub-classes

ray-finned (Actinopterygii) – comprising the great majority of fish

lobe-finned (Sarcopterygii)

Class “cartilaginous fish” (Chordrichthyes) – sharks, skates, rays

Class “jawless fish” (Agnatha) – lampreys, hagfish

The ocean floor is yours, my osteichthyic friend !

Last edited:

DaleCooper

Established Member
I’ll say “correct” – I’m much impressed with your accomplishment in the memory line. Bony fishes are “ray-finned” = fins supported by bony or horny spines (an enormous majority of the sub-class are this kind); or “lobe-finned”.

I had the idea that all bony fish had spiny fins that's why i didn't put it in my original answer, "Battered" and "Breaded" were just space fillers.

Next question:

Which river has been called "The Only River That Crosses Itself"?

Calthrop

Established Member
Which river has been called "The Only River That Crosses Itself"?[/QUOTE]

It's not the business in South America, I suppose -- the Orinoco and Rio Negro between them, flowing both into the Amazon, and directly into the Atlantic Ocean?