• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

RJ21

As a clue, the highest point in this county lies on a long distance path which follows the route of a historic boundary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok this is doing my head in, Herefordshire? (Can't be many around there left)

RJ21

It is Herefordshire, a point South of Hay Bluff in the Black Mountains on the border with Powys, 703m AMSL, 67m higher than Kinder Scout in Derbyshire and 33m lower than Whernside in North Yorkshire.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That was a good question. Following the theme then, what is highest point of the UK south of the Brecon Beacons?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I recall parts of Dartmoor are pretty high, so I'll guess High Willhays in Devon ?

You guessed very well. It is High Willhays at 621 metres, next to Yes Tor on Northern Dartmoor.
Your windswept moor.

Springs Branch

Established Member
There is indeed a tenuous connection between the previous answer (on Dartmoor) and this one (on a Dartboard).
The sequence of numbers from 6 o'clock onwards to be specific.

It's a big one-hundred-and-eighty and the floor to DaleCooper.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Something tells me that there was something odd about the recording session - but I can't remember what!

I sounds like it's a live recording, but whether that was overdubbed I don't know. Okay, one last guess .... the Air Studios?

DaleCooper

Established Member
Something tells me that there was something odd about the recording session - but I can't remember what!

I sounds like it's a live recording, but whether that was overdubbed I don't know. Okay, one last guess .... the Air Studios?

You're getting closer, it was a live recording.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I didn't go looking (honest!), but I've just seen this on another forum: "However I can claim to have had a hit record having sang on My Ding-A-Ling. I was at the concert in Coventry in 1972 when it was recorded and which was part of the Lanchester Polytechnic's Art Festival. It was a great concert and Ding-A-Ling was an amusing interlude at the time and didn't take away from the Rock and roll experience. I think Leon Russell was also on the bill."

So, I guess the answer is "somewhere in Coventry" ... at the Student's Union, perhaps?

DaleCooper

Established Member
I didn't go looking (honest!), but I've just seen this on another forum: "However I can claim to have had a hit record having sang on My Ding-A-Ling. I was at the concert in Coventry in 1972 when it was recorded and which was part of the Lanchester Polytechnic's Art Festival. It was a great concert and Ding-A-Ling was an amusing interlude at the time and didn't take away from the Rock and roll experience. I think Leon Russell was also on the bill."

So, I guess the answer is "somewhere in Coventry" ... at the Student's Union, perhaps?

"somewhere in Coventry" is correct but I'd like the name of the venue; surely you can remember where it was or were you too stoned?

The full answer was on the BBC news website yesterday after I set the question; I couldn't believe that no one spotted it.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
"somewhere in Coventry" is correct but I'd like the name of the venue; surely you can remember where it was or were you too stoned?

The full answer was on the BBC news website yesterday after I set the question; I couldn't believe that no one spotted it.

No, this is a quote from someone else, who didn't say where it was .... I wasn't there, honest guv!

Not being familiar with venues in Coventry apart from the Cathedral (which is obviously incorrect!), I don't know.

DaleCooper

Established Member
No one is going to get it so I'll give the answer, it was The Locarno, Coventry.

As EbbwJunction1 got close I offer the floor to him...

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Ah, thank you.

Whose names have been removed from here?

"XX XX was a real ****ant
Who was very rarely stable
XX, XX was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table

XX XX could out-consume
XX and XX
And XX was a beery swine
Who was just as sloshed as XX

There's nothing XX couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist
XX, himself, was permanently ****ed

XX XX XX, of his own free will
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill
XX, they say, could stick it away
Half a crate of whiskey every day

XX, XX was a bugger for the bottle
XX was fond of his dram
And XX XX was a drunken fart
"I drink, therefore I am"

Yes, XX, himself, is particularly missed
A lovely little thinker
But a bugger when he's ****ed"

Note: Each XX represents part of or the whole of a name.

One point (or should it be pint?) for each name given!