• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaleCooper

Established Member
Is it to do with phonetics with them grouped according to the last syllable?

Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger
Leopard, Snow Leopard
Lion, Mountain Lion

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it to do with phonetics with them grouped according to the last syllable?

Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger
Leopard, Snow Leopard
Lion, Mountain Lion

That's clever. I was wondering if it was something to do with the earliest fossils found of each species but I haven't a clue really.

fowler9

Established Member
Apple operating systems in chronological order? Apologies if everyone knew this anyway and there is some deeper reason behind the names which we are looking for. Just got home from a late shift and my brain is frazzled.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
I think the Panther Tiger and Leopard were/are German tanks but not the rest. The Leopard being more recent than WW2.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Apple operating systems in chronological order? Apologies if everyone knew this anyway and there is some deeper reason behind the names which we are looking for. Just got home from a late shift and my brain is frazzled.

Your brain isn't over-frazzled (or if it is,it's equally frazzled as mine). They are the code names used for releases of Apples' Mac OS X from 2001 to 2012. By that point they were running out of cool big cat names, and switched to using landmarks instead. This problem was lampshaded by the xkcd webcomic:

A graph organizing various feline species labeled with common names ordered by genera (in order of which would win in a fight) on the y axis, and coolness of name on the x axis. Names already used by Apple are circled.

The floor is yours, fowler9...

fowler9

Established Member
Your brain isn't over-frazzled (or if it is,it's equally frazzled as mine). They are the code names used for releases of Apples' Mac OS X from 2001 to 2012. By that point they were running out of cool big cat names, and switched to using landmarks instead. This problem was lampshaded by the xkcd webcomic:

A graph organizing various feline species labeled with common names ordered by genera (in order of which would win in a fight) on the y axis, and coolness of name on the x axis. Names already used by Apple are circled.

The floor is yours, fowler9...

Cheers mate, I spent 3 months working at Vodafone and amongst our training that was completely useless for the job was a list of operating system names that various companies used.

My question may or may not be a bit tough. What do Incemore, Lochmore, Craigmore, Erylmore, Lismore, Lammermore, Cairnmore, Kirkmore, Rexmore, Benmore & Boxmore all have in common with the inventor of goal nets? As a clue it is to do with the area I live in.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Are they types of nylon - which I think is what goal nets are made of - nd did he (whoever he was / is invent / discover them all?

deltic1989

Established Member
The goal net was invented by John Brodie. i'm given to understand that as well as being a sports fan, he was a big mover in prefabricated housing.
So my submission would be that the listed places have a large concentration of prefabs.

Last edited:

RJ21

Some are place names in the Ordnance Survey gazetteer, however they are all names of roads in Liverpool, all cul-de-sacs leading off Brodie Avenue in the order given when travelling north from Booker Avenue.

fowler9

Established Member
Some are place names in the Ordnance Survey gazetteer, however they are all names of roads in Liverpool, all cul-de-sacs leading off Brodie Avenue in the order given when travelling north from Booker Avenue.

"Back of the net" as Alan Partridge may say. :D I used to live on Cairnmore Road back in the day, still live pretty close to it. A very nice area to live. John Brodie was the Liverpool City Engineer and as I understand planned the tree line dual carriageways which fan out from the city. Brodie Avenue itself was originally meant to carry on towards the centre past Rose Lane. Never happened I suspect because at Rose Lane it met a large number of very large and rather old town houses/mansions which I suspect people didn't want knocked down.

Anyway, I'll pick that one out of the onion bag and throw it to you. :D

Last edited:

RJ21

Next question, what connects Caernarfon, Inverness, Humberside, Lydd, Lee-on-Solent, Newquay, Prestwick, St Athan, Stornoway and Sumburgh?

RJ21

theageofthetrain, yes, home stations for the Bristow operated HMCG rescue helicopters.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
What what you not find at the Mcdonalds restaurant in Downey California which you would normally expect find at other branches?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Teenagers/kids? I'm wondering if it's in an OAPs complex? :)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Acne?
Actually forget that silliness. Proper answer: Customers, maybe it's a film set?

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Ronald McDonald ?

Correct!- this branch was the earliest they opened that survives and it features their original mascot- Speedy, who is a sort of chef.

It was due to be demolished in 1994 but was put on the list of historic places

Your fries with that.

Last edited: