• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Calthrop

Established Member
All of these are the forenames of notable lady writers. Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Georgette Heyer, and Dorothy L. Sayers.
Could the connection be as simple as they are all writers?

They are indeed; more specifically, all female (obviously -- and none of them males writing under a pseudonym, pace highly "fringe" theories); and stock-in-trade of all of them, novels definitely in the love / romance ballpark. You've correctly identified all four: your floor.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Err, .. not Dorothy L Sayers, her "stock in trade" was detective fiction !

I'd defend myself by saying that for many fans, Sayers's detective content is overshadowed by the intense and course-not-running-smooth love affair between Lord Peter Wimsey and the love of his life, Harriet Vane. I'm not among their number: I detest that blasted misery-guts biddy, and consider that the Wimsey series took a sharp down-turn when she showed up in it -- but there are lots of romantic-fiction-buffs (chiefly female) for whom the Peter / Harriet **** is what DLS is all about.

Last edited:

deltic1989

Established Member
What was unique (or certainly different) about Volvo's entry into the 1994 British Touring Car Championship?

Last edited:

deltic1989

Established Member
It was an estate car and not a saloon.

It certainly was. Volvo used a version of their 850 estate, utilizing a 2.0l version of their 5 cylinder engine. They went back to an 850 saloon the following year, and on to an S40 in 1996. But for one glorious year, the old bus showed what it was made of.
Start your engine sir.

fowler9

Established Member
It certainly was. Volvo used a version of their 850 estate, utilizing a 2.0l version of their 5 cylinder engine. They went back to an 850 saloon the following year, and on to an S40 in 1996. But for one glorious year, the old bus showed what it was made of.
Start your engine sir.
Oddly enough I saw an n reg 850 by ours not two hours ago. So one had clearly made some modifications to it. Ha ha. My mind is blank at the mo so open floor.

Spamcan81

Humpty Dumpty? There is a story that a large cannon on the walls of Colchester was so known and during the English Civil War it was destroyed by a shot from a parliamentary gun.

deltic1989

Established Member
The Kinks (1964) and The Who (1965) both did a song called 'Bald Headed Woman'. The Wind Chimes clue has thrown me a bit though, because that seems to refer to the Beach Boys song from 1967, which would steer me towards 'Shes Goin' Bald' which was on the same album as 'Wind Chimes' (Smiley Smile (1967)).

If by some miracle my inane ramblings turn out to be correct, open floor.

Spamcan81

The Kinks (1964) and The Who (1965) both did a song called 'Bald Headed Woman'. The Wind Chimes clue has thrown me a bit though, because that seems to refer to the Beach Boys song from 1967, which would steer me towards 'Shes Goin' Bald' which was on the same album as 'Wind Chimes' (Smiley Smile (1967)).

If by some miracle my inane ramblings turn out to be correct, open floor.

Sorry for the delay in replying but your Beach Boys supposition is absolutely right. Smiley Smile is a strange album that received poor reviews at the time but has since achieved cult status.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Some anniversaries for you to guess, please:

1. Today in 1613, which London building burnt down? (But it's been rebuilt since!)
2. Today in 1800, which current national newspaper was published for the first time?
3. Today in 1956, which actress married which playwright?
4. Today in 1966, what aid to consumer spending was introduced for the first time?

Best of luck!

Warwick

1 The Globe theatre burned down
2 No idea. Too late for the Times, too early for the Grundiad, too early for the Mirror and too early for the Mail. Assuming the
answer is a U.K. newspaper.
3 Timeline seems about right for Arthur Miller and Marilyn Monroe. Anita Ekberg married the same year but I don't know who to.
4 I seem to remember the abolishing of retail price maintenance about then.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
1. No idea
2. I'm going to have a guess at the Telegraph
3. Marylin Monroe and Arthur Miller
4. Was Which? launched in 1966?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I reckon number 4 might be credit cards.

To be specific, it wasn't credit cards, but the Barclaycard, but as it was the first one of it's type, it's still the right answer.

See my post 10973. Question 1 answered.

Yes, I missed that, you're right - well done. In fact, you got MM & AM getting married as well, so that's two for you. Your guesses beat GusB by five minutes, so it's your floor, sir.

deltic1989

Established Member
Since it's been a while since the last post may I venture to post a question to avoid the thread disappearing into the void of page 2?
Of course if there is an objection I'll relinqush the floor.

In the RAF, which airfields would usually be visited on a Western Ranger?

fowler9

Established Member
Since it's been a while since the last post may I venture to post a question to avoid the thread disappearing into the void of page 2?
Of course if there is an objection I'll relinqush the floor.

In the RAF, which airfields would usually be visited on a Western Ranger?
Going to have a mad guess at St Mawgan and St Athan. Perhaps Yoevilton.