• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
Going to have a mad guess at St Mawgan and St Athan. Perhaps Yoevilton.

Not quite. Western Rangers ventured a bit further West than that.

Offut was probably one

Offut AFB in Nebraska was usually the final destination of a Western Ranger, and even had an RAF Maintenance Unit on site.
I have in mind one other airfield that would have been visited on one of these trips.

fowler9

Established Member
Not quite. Western Rangers ventured a bit further West than that.

Offut AFB in Nebraska was usually the final destination of a Western Ranger, and even had an RAF Maintenance Unit on site.
I have in mind one other airfield that would have been visited on one of these trips.
Blimey I am miles out. Ha ha. Forgive my ignorance but what is a Western Ranger?

Warwick

Rangers were (usually) one or two aircraft that were sent off on an exercise somewhere. Offut in Nebraska and Goose Bay in Canada were common cold weather - and Nebraska in winter was bl***y cold - destinations. Offut now has - or it did have - a donated Vulcan.

deltic1989

Established Member
CFB Goose Bay was the missing link.
Officially the title of the exercise was Lone Ranger, but the crews dubbed them Western Rangers due to the direction of travel.
As Warwick correctly states they were an exercise were mostly one but sometimes two aircraft were dispatched from their home base with the intention of training them to operate away from home. Fuelling and servicing of the aircraft was usually carried out by the crew themselves, as would have happened if they were dispersed in time of war.
Offut's Vulcan (XM573) was gifted to the Strategic Air Command Museum, which was at the time located next to the base. It went with the museum when they relocated to Ashland, Nebraska in 1998. A Vulcan (XL361) was also gifted to CFB Goose Bay, after making an emergency landing there following a fire on board. It currently still lives there.
It's interesting to note that both of these Vulcans no longer have their refueling probes. They were "donated" to the Operation Black Buck detachment Vulcans in 1982. (Donated = A group of RAF technicians rocked up in the middle of the night and nicked them :D )

As Warwick got both of the answers I was looking for, you are cleared for take off sir.

fowler9

Established Member
Rangers were (usually) one or two aircraft that were sent off on an exercise somewhere. Offut in Nebraska and Goose Bay in Canada were common cold weather - and Nebraska in winter was bl***y cold - destinations. Offut now has - or it did have - a donated Vulcan.
Cheers Warwick. Love the info there. I love aircraft and the RAF but the question was clearly way beyond me, ha ha.

fowler9

Established Member
I'm not very good at this however...where is the connection for Victor and Vanquish?
Will say Aston Martin because of the Vanquish. Did they have something to do with building the Victor? Or did Handley Page have something to do with making Aston Martins?

krus_aragon

Established Member
A Victor submarine featured in the James Bond film The World is Not Enough, but that film had Bond driving a BMW, not an Aston Martin. The Vanquish didn't show up until Die Another Day :/

Warwick

I don't think there is a car called a Victor or a plane called a Vanquish. Ha ha. I could be wrong, it's not unheard of, ha ha.
Well, Vauxhall did make a model called Victor in the sixties...... but it's nothing to do with the question although the question's connection has a connection with the same era. I'll drop a clue in time if people are floundering. it

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As promised..a clue. 232. Think R.A.F.units.
232 must be a squadron or OCU (operational conversion unit). 232 OCU operated the Victor, but I'm not getting the Vanquish connection.

EDIT - I've got it now, I think. I did have to consult the Internets, though, so I'll hold back in case anyone actually knows it.

Last edited:

Warwick

OK, the answer - which "Gus B" alluded to.
Q. "Where is the connection between Victor and Vanquish"?

The connection is in the Warwickshire countryside at Gaydon. The Victor was the third of the R.A.F.'s "V" bombers to enter service which it did with 232 O.C.U. at Royal Air Force station Gaydon, staying there until June 1966. After their moving to Marham the base soldiered on but was eventually shut down.
Eventually Aston Martin bought the airfield and set up their factory there using the 10,000 foot runway as a proving ground.
So, Victor to Vanquish in one easy airfield.

I reckon Gus B is the only person to get close so, off you go.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

The connection is in the Warwickshire countryside at Gaydon. The Victor was the third of the R.A.F.'s "V" bombers to enter service which it did with 232 O.C.U. at Royal Air Force station Gaydon, staying there until June 1966. After their moving to Marham the base soldiered on but was eventually shut down.
Eventually Aston Martin bought the airfield and set up their factory there using the 10,000 foot runway as a proving ground.

That was a bit of a challenge! Open floor, please.

fowler9

Established Member

Ha ha, brilliant question.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Whose car (and it's the driver I'm after, not the owner) has recently been sold for approx. two million pounds at an auction?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm surprised that no-one's got this, so here's (I hope!) a clue: The driver is known by both his name and a code name.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
No, I'm afraid not …. so here's another clue.

The character is fictional, and has been played on screen by seven actors, of which the first and the next to last are most associated with the item that you're looking for.

deltic1989

Established Member
Commander James Bond (007). Aston Martin BMT 214A. Driven by Sean Connery in Goldfinger, and Pierce Brosnan in Goldeneye. This Aston has also been seen with Daniel Craig behind the wheel recently in Skyfall (where it was written off by an Augusta Westland EH-101 Merlin)

Edit- Why did I have to go full fan boy? :lol: Beaten to it.