• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

DerekC

Established Member
That's very generous. I wouldn't have got any closer,

What did the Petlyakov PV-8 have in common with the Blohm & Voss BV138? (apart from the fact that they were both WWII military aircraft)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marton

Gaelic is Dùn Èideann. The kiwis anglicised it.

I’ll try Princess Street.

Marton

It’s the Main Street in both cities.
I don’t think it’s the same Princes. Edinburgh’s is called for George III’s sons. Bit early for NZ?

Spamcan81

It’s the Main Street in both cities.
I don’t think it’s the same Princes. Edinburgh’s is called for George III’s sons. Bit early for NZ?

It's not the connection I'm looking for as I suspect there will be more than one shared road name.
I'm minded to give it to you though for the "the kiwis anglicised it" in your previous post. Dunedin is the anglicised spelling of the Gaelic name for Edinburgh Dùn Èideann. krus_aragon was pretty close too so you can fight it out amongst yourselves as to who goes next. :)

DaleCooper

Established Member
It's not the connection I'm looking for as I suspect there will be more than one shared road name.
I'm minded to give it to you though for the "the kiwis anglicised it" in your previous post. Dunedin is the anglicised spelling of the Gaelic name for Edinburgh Dùn Èideann. krus_aragon was pretty close too so you can fight it out amongst yourselves as to who goes next. :)

As an unbiased observer I would say krus_aragon takes the honours.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I'll take the floor up, as I have a question in mind, ready to go:

It's General Election Season, hooray!

There is one constituency that during the course of the twentieth century, returned Members of Parliament for four different (and distinct*) political parties. Even more noteworthy is the fact that for the past hundred years no standing Member has been voted out by the electorate: the seat only changed hands when the existing MP stood down.

Which constituency is this?

*In terms of distinct political parties, I'm considering closely related parties, such as the Liberal Party and the Liberal Democrats, to be the one and the same.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I am guessing Wales (Plaid/Con/Lab/Lib Dem). Shot in the dark - Aberystwyth?
Wales is a good hunch, given the four political parties. Unfortunately Aberystwyth's constituency (Ceredigion, previously Cardiganshire) hasn't had a Conservative MP since the election of 1874, so it's only seen three parties since 1900 (Liberal, Labour, Plaid).

DaleCooper

Established Member
Billericay? I don't really think that's the answer but I've liked the sound of the name ever since it used to be the first to declare results on election night.

DerekC

Established Member
Wales is a good hunch, given the four political parties. Unfortunately Aberystwyth's constituency (Ceredigion, previously Cardiganshire) hasn't had a Conservative MP since the election of 1874, so it's only seen three parties since 1900 (Liberal, Labour, Plaid).

Hmm - so maybe Wales is right but somewhere a bit more Conservative. How about Caernarfon? I think David Lloyd-George was MP for that constituency.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Billericay? I don't really think that's the answer but I've liked the sound of the name ever since it used to be the first to declare results on election night.
Looking into things, it seems that Billericay's only existed as a constituency since the 1950s, and even looking at previous/other constituencies in the area, I can't find four different parties winning over the course of the century.

The name and boundaries of the constituency I'm looking for are virtually unchanged for the last 100 years.

Hmm - so maybe Wales is right but somewhere a bit more Conservative. How about Caernarfon? I think David Lloyd-George was MP for that constituency.
In the wake of David Lloyd George's departure, there have been another three parties holding Caernarfon (and latterly Arfon), so that meets the four parties requirement. Unfortunately, in 1945, the Conservative candidate David Price-White defeated the incumbent Liberal, Seaborne Davies, and in February 1974 Plaid Cymru's Dafydd Wigley defeated Labour's incumbent Goronwy Roberts. So that constituency fails on the second test...

krus_aragon

Established Member
Just to summarise some hints:
  • The constituency I have in mind is in Wales
  • The boundaries of the constituencies are pretty much the same as they were a hundred years ago

krus_aragon

Established Member
Ynys Mon / Anglesey ?
That's the one I had in mind.

After being a Whig/Liberal stronghold for centuries, things got a bit more interesting in the 20th century, with the Liberals, Labour, Conservatives and Plaid Cymru each holding the seat at least once.

I have to admit a mea cupla, in that I've just found that there has been one instance of an incumbent being voted out by the people on Anglesey in the past century: 1951 saw Liberal MP Megan Lloyd George lose her seat to Labour's Cledwyn Hughes. With that one exception, the people of Anglesey have proved themselves to be very faithful to whoever they've elected in the past, and only changed their allegiance when the incumbent has chosen not to stand.

(The current MP, Albert Owen, has chosen to stand down at this election, so that trend is destined to continue for at least another Parliamentary session.)

With apologies for the minor slip-up, the polling booth is yours, martinsh...