• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Consumed now by curiosity, I've consulted Google; and thus disqualified myself. I had previously heard of the place -- "only just" thus -- and had been vaguely aware that there was "something funny" about it...

Heh. OK, another clue: the last commissioner (= governor, but for unimportant places) of the territory was also a character in a major film by Bernardo Bertolucci.

Played by a famous 'hell-raising' British/Irish actor.

I don't think we'll get any more attempts so will say that Port Edward was the admin centre of the British Leased Territory of Weihaiwei. I suspect lots of you might know that the New Territories of Hong Kong were leased (at the barrel of a gun) from China in 1898 for 99 years (and it was the impending expiry of that lease that led to the negotiations for the rendition of all of Hong Kong to China in 1997. Free may know that Britain in 1898 also leased the naval port of Weihaiwei from China, for 99 years "or so long as Russia might occupy Port Arthur". WHW and Port Arthur were both Chinese naval bases in NE China controlling access to the Bohai Gulf, which gave access to Beijing. Russia had extorted Port Arthur from China in 1898; the Chinese saw British occupation of Weihaiwei as a handy counterbalance. When Japan conquered Port Arthur in the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05, Britain's ease technically expired, but it suited us and the Chinese to pretend otherwise. We continued to occupy Weihaiwei until 1930, despite undertaking it to return it to China in 1921, and conducting cack-handed negotiations that gave ground while causing the maximum of ill-feeling. Sounds familiar? The film reference was to Reginald Johnston, tutor to the 'Last Emperor' Puyi in the mid 1920s; Johnston was the Commissioner at the rendition of Weihaiwei on 1 October 1930.

Sorry for going on! This was the subject of my undergraduate dissertation in 1982.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was so long typing amendments -- yes to Peter O'Toole, but in The Last Emperor, tutor to the emperor Puyi, and (in 1930) the last Commissioner of the British Leased Territory of Weihaiwei.

Anyway, open floor.

Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
May I take the floor?

What connects the following:

• To throw or give off or out
  • An individual article or unit
  • A minute arachnid
  • A period or occasion

Is that the date of the change of calendar where 11 days disappeared and the Gregorian calendar was introduced ?

SteveM70

Established Member
Is that the date of the change of calendar where 11 days disappeared and the Gregorian calendar was introduced ?

You’re there or thereabouts. The correct answer is “absolutely nothing because that date didn’t exist”, but you’re spot on with the reasoning, so the floor is yours.....

xotGD

Established Member
I didn't realise that there had been any hosts in between!

Geography this time:

Where would you find the Straight of Messina?

Bonus points if you can name the two bodies of water it connects.

xotGD

Established Member
Is that Italy and Sicily so the two bodies would be The Adriatic and The Aegean ?
You are correct that it is the strip of water between Italy and Sicily.

However no bonus points, as it connects the Tyrrhenian Sea to the north with the Ionian Sea to the south.

A ticket for the ferry is yours...

Calthrop

Established Member
Probably an easy one and has maybe been asked before but what is in the top left hand quadrant of the State of Hawaii flag?

Britain's Union Flag -- Hawaii having been at any rate in the British sphere of influence, before it became US territory.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks.

There are at least two explanations of why a ball-peen hammer is so called. One of those, known to me, is straightforward and seems to make thoroughly good sense; the other would appear more colourful but less probable. What is this -- attractive but seemingly less likely -- supposed derivation of the name?

Calthrop

Established Member
No connotations of any sort of cruelty or nastiness -- mental processes following a totally different track. (I'll provide other hints, according to how things develop...)