• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Indeed, no Hells Angels; or blacksmiths, or Vikings. It concerns something trans-lingual (no Scandinavian language involved !).

Calthrop

Established Member
Something like Pignon prounced peeenyyonn so I suppose French or Flemish Belgium.

The "foreign" connection is less complicated than that: this kind of hammer is supposedly called after its alleged inventor, a French metal-worker named Jacques Balpien. Wiki gives this derivation, alongside the stodgy-in-comparison everyday definition: a double-headed hammer with its smaller, rounded (hence "ball") head used for peening, i.e. bending, shaping, or flattening stuff. The "Jacques Balpien" thing strikes me as having a strong urban-legend-ish feel -- but as more fun than the straight, practical explanation.

Nobody came up with Monsieur Balpien; and @GRALISTAIR, you got the "called after the inventor" element; so, the floor is yours.

Didn't they lose their 1st match to Pakistan Railways by an innings and 851 runs and then didn't play a game for 20 years ?

MotCO

Established Member
Were all players out for 0, and possibly the only runs scored were extras?