• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

MotCO

Established Member
What do the following MPs have uniquely in common?

Winston Churchill
William Gladstone
Arthur Henderson
Sir Robert Peel

And what makes Walter Long unique?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Anything to do with achieving prominent (cabinet) positions having changed political parties?

MotCO

Established Member
Gladstone was PM several times, Churchill too, were the others PM more than once?

They may have been, but not uniquely.

Anything to do with achieving prominent (cabinet) positions having changed political parties?

Again, not uniquely. I recall Gordon Prentice changing sides and getting a ministerial position in a Tory government, not sure if it was a Cabinet post.

Did each represent four different constituencies during their careers?

So very, very close. Do you want a second guess?

xotGD

Established Member
Did they each represent constituencies in both England and Scotland?

MotCO

Established Member
Three different constituencies? Churchill was Oldham, Dundee and Woodford (Essex), I think - I did think there might have been another but clearly not.

Wrong way :s. Winston Churchill, William Gladstone, Arthur Henderson, and Sir Robert Peel each had five constituencies, and Walter Long had seven!

Winston Churchill: Oldham ; Manchester North West ; Dundee ; Epping; Woodford
William Gladstone: Newark ; Oxford University ; South Lancashire ; Greenwich ; Midlothian
Arthur Henderson: Barnard Castle ; Widnes ; Newcastle East ; Burnley ; Clay Cross
Sir Robert Peel: Cashel ; Chippenham ; Oxford University ; Westbury ; Tamworth

Walter Long: Wiltshire North ; Devizes ; Liverpool West Derby ; Bristol South ; Dublin County South ; Strand ; Westminster St George's

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recor...at_for_three_or_more_different_constituencies

I invite John to take the floor.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'll take it if I may.

There are quite a few entries in the list of "Shortest serving Members of Parliament", but there are a number of reasons for this. There are eleven reasons why these did not have longer terms of office; can you name them, please? These are all Members who took the Oath, although not all of them made their Maiden Speech; I don't want any names, just the reasons.

Best of luck!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
After yet another recount of votes, they were found to have fewer votes than another candidate.

The application was checked again and found to be invalid.

I guess occasionally MPs die soon after being 'returned to office'.

Translation to the House of Lords before one can say 'Rhosllanerchrugog'.

Arrested and taken away for whatever offences (electoral fraud?)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
After yet another recount of votes, they were found to have fewer votes than another candidate.
No, this isn't one.
The application was checked again and found to be invalid.
Or this one.
I guess occasionally MPs die soon after being 'returned to office'.
Yes, but can you be a little more specific about the cause of death, please? (There's two)
Translation to the House of Lords before one can say 'Rhosllanerchrugog'.
Yes, but again can you be a little more specific about the reason for this, please? (There's two)
Arrested and taken away for whatever offences (electoral fraud?)
You're close, but what would this be called? (It doesn't only have to be for electoral fraud, although this could be a reason)

Thanks.

Gloster

Established Member
I know that one MP was killed in a road crash on the way from his constituency to the House of Commons on the day following the election. It was 1945, I think. This makes him the shortest of all, with no days served.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I know that one MP was killed in a road crash on the way from his constituency to the House of Commons on the day following the election. It was 1945, I think. This makes him the shortest of all, with no days served.
Wasn't that also a plot line in a post WW2 episode of "Foyles War"?

Gloster

Established Member
I realise now that my submission above would not count as he couldn’t take the oath. As I have no TV, I have no idea if it appeared in Foyle’s War.

Did somebody resign - or be expelled - due to bankruptcy?

xotGD

Established Member
Being elevated to the House of Lords
Receiving a custodial sentence in excess of 6 months
Taking a paid office of the Crown
Resigning to force a by-election as a protest against something (wasn't there a mass-resignation of Northern Ireland Unionists at one point?)
Failing to declare unlawful election expenses

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Did somebody resign - or be expelled - due to bankruptcy?
Yes, that is one of the reasons, although it's just described as "Resigned". The person you may be thinking of is the future Jeffrey Archer, who resigned his seat at Louth in October fearing imminent bankruptcy.
Being elevated to the House of Lords
Yes, that's one of the ones I referred to in my reply to LSWR Cavalier above. There's another version of this which is slightly different - what is it?
Receiving a custodial sentence in excess of 6 months
I think that being "Disqualified" covers this one, so you're right.
Taking a paid office of the Crown
No, not so far as I know.
Resigning to force a by-election as a protest against something (wasn't there a mass-resignation of Northern Ireland Unionists at one point?)
"Resigning" is enough, the reason doesn't matter - but Gloster's already got it.
Failing to declare unlawful election expenses
I think that being "Disqualified" covers this one, and you've already got it.

Gloster

Established Member
I know that MPs have died for various reasons, including road accident, house fire, domestic accident, murder, suicide, and on active service. However, I don’t know if any of these would qualify as shortest serving members.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I know that MPs have died for various reasons, including road accident, house fire, domestic accident, murder, suicide, and on active service. However, I don’t know if any of these would qualify as shortest serving members.
You've actually got quite a few there that do count - Natural / Accidental Death, Murder (Assassination), Suicide, Killed in Action.

Inheriting a peerage. Didn't that happen to Tony Benn?
Correct, he did - although he renounced it and stood for election, but that part isn't relevant.

You're leading the count so far with five; XotGD has asked for a recount, but still has three (sorry, couldn't resist it!). Three to go - two of them quite obvious, I think.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Well, one could be said to be the will of the people, another the will of his party and the third his own decision.

xotGD

Established Member
MP elected in a by-election shortly before a General Election, in which they lose their seat.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Given some political appointment, such as governor of a territory.
Not specifically, but it could be described as resignation - which you've already got.

One in normal life could be described as being age-related, although it isn't in parliamentary terms always the case.
The other could be described as being the consequence of the local party's disenchantment with the member concerned, so they do what to him?