• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Gloster

Established Member
I don’t know if there is anything to say that if an MP becomes completely ga-ga they have to resign (insert joke here) or can the house throw him or her out? I think it is the same with an MP who is deselected: they are stuck with him or her until the next election. There is a system of calling-in nowadays, so was an MP (of, for example, Peterborough) booted out by this method.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
1. Can the son of a peer become an MP, but when the father dies, he is elevated to the Lords and therefore has to resign as an MP.

2. MP takes the 'Chiltern Hundreds'.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I don’t know if there is anything to say that if an MP becomes completely ga-ga they have to resign (insert joke here) or can the house throw him or her out? I think it is the same with an MP who is deselected: they are stuck with him or her until the next election. There is a system of calling-in nowadays, so was an MP (of, for example, Peterborough) booted out by this method.
Yes, that's it ... deselected by his / her own local party.
Deselection.

Edit: Just seen that @Gloster beat me to it!
Correct!
The Peterborough MP lied about swapping speeding points and had to go.

Have other politicians been punished for lying?
There is a saying, of course: "How do you tell when a politician is lying?" ... "When they open their mouth!"
1. Can the son of a peer become an MP, but when the father dies, he is elevated to the Lords and therefore has to resign as an MP.

2. MP takes the 'Chiltern Hundreds'.
Yes, xotGD has got that one.

I'll also give you the last one, which I'm surprised that no-one has got .... simply, it's deciding not to stand for election!

So, Gloster wins the vote with seven; over to you!

Gloster

Established Member
Please name the last three (i.e. most recent) British monarchs to have died on territory that they had not ruled at any time during their lifetime. If possible, please add where they died and why they fit the question.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Got one possibly, King Edward VIII, who was king in 1936 before abdicating, died in France in the early 1970s.

Obviously, Britain hasn't ruled over any part of France anytime recently.

Calthrop

Established Member
Previous monarch in this category (I think) -- King James II: ousted in favour of William III, over period 1688 - 90 -- James was Catholic and openly so: not acceptable in G.B. at that time. Died in 1701 at St. Germain-en-Laye, France.

xotGD

Established Member
Richard the First.

Did he die in the Middle East leading a crusade?

Gloster

Established Member
Richard the First.

Did he die in the Middle East leading a crusade?
No, not him. Even though he died in France.

EDIT: To be more exact, he does fit the question, except that he was not one of the last three.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Henry V - of disease, in France, but not part he ruled at the time (though it was agreed his son would be King of France)?
No, he is not the answer as he is not the remaining one of the last three. He died in 1422 in France, in a part that he would have ruled if he had outlived Charles V, who died two months later.

Calthrop

Established Member
Not, I suppose, Edward V -- briefly and technically King in 1483: disappeared in mysterious circumstances, succeeded by Richard III: Edward being one of the "Princes in the Tower" -- his death there, surmise but not certainty?

Gloster

Established Member
Not, I suppose, Edward V -- briefly and technically King in 1483: disappeared in mysterious circumstances, succeeded by Richard III: Edward being one of the "Princes in the Tower" -- his death there, surmise but not certainty?
No, not him either. He probably did die on territory that he had ruled, but nobody knows for certain.

I will give it a bit longer before a clue.

Gloster

Established Member
Is it a trick question? Perhaps Lady Jane Grey, who was a de facto monarch but never ruled, and died in England.
No, it is not a trick question. However, the remaining answer might be guessed, but for the wrong reason. (That is not an obscure hint.)

A small clue: the question had to be carefully phrased.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I assume the technicality is around "ruled", so I will go with Edward VI, who died as a teenager having had, for the entirety of his monarchy, a regency arrangement?

SteveM70

Established Member
Is it George I? He was the first Hanoverian and only acceded because of the terms of the act of settlement, and spent a lot of time in Germany. Did he die there too?

Gloster

Established Member
Is it George I? He was the first Hanoverian and only acceded because of the terms of the act of settlement, and spent a lot of time in Germany. Did he die there too?
You are right, sir. George I is the third answer. The small catch is that, in addition to being King over here, he was Elector of Hanover. However, he did not die in either Britain or Hanover, the territories that he ruled, but in Osnabruck, which was a Prince-Bishopric that did not become part of Hanover until 1803. George had appointed the existing ruler of Osnabruck as the Elector of Hanover appointed every other one, but did not rule it; at the time Osnabruck was ruled by his brother, the Duke of Albany.

So that is one each to Mcr Warrior, Calthrop and SteveM70. Here is a tie breaker if you want to decide between you:

Edward VIII was one of three kings in 1936. Give one of the other two years that were ‘Years of Three Kings’.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So that is one each to Mcr Warrior, Calthrop and SteveM70. Here is a tie breaker if you want to decide between you:

Edward VIII was one of three kings in 1936. Give one of the other two years that were ‘Years of Three Kings’.
Or 1483.