• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Purple Train

Established Member
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.."
Who wrote these words? One bonus brownie point is on offer for those who can name the poem.

DaleCooper

Established Member
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.."
Who wrote these words? One bonus brownie point is on offer for those who can name the poem.
The version I know is:

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
I left my shoes and socks there. I wonder if they're dry?

Spike Milligan

Calthrop

Established Member
The version I know is:

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
I left my shoes and socks there. I wonder if they're dry?

Spike Milligan

Another of his famous-poem-adaptations, which has always tickled me;

The boy stood on the burning deck
Which all but he had fled --

Twit !

Taking it that it's my go:

What is a squill?

341o2

Established Member
Gerald Durrell was once brought a squill-lill (squirrel) in Africa, but it is in fact a flowering bulbous plant Drimia Maritima

Calthrop

Established Member
Gerald Durrell was once brought a squill-lill (squirrel) in Africa, but it is in fact a flowering bulbous plant Drimia Maritima

Ah, yes -- Mr. Durrell's friend Squill-Lill Small. You're absolutely right -- the flowering bulbous plant (lily family). The plant was widely used in medicine in days gone by -- for coughs among other things -- those back then who thought, with some justification, that doctors and herbalists didn't have much clue about what they were doing: enjoyed using the sonorous word "squill", in their abuse of them.)

Hence, sirrah, and brew the vile and likely-ineffective nostrum of thine choice ...

(@DaleCooper -- full marks for "weird and wild" answers; alas, not right ones, though.)

341o2

Established Member
In Tom Sharpe's novel Indecent Exposure, Dr. von Blimenstein is determined to marry Lt Verkramp of the Peimburg police. How does she get him to the alter only for it all to go wrong in an instant?

341o2

Established Member
She arrests him, only to discover that he is in fact a policewoman in disguise.
Afraid not. Earlier in the book, she tries to seduce him, so she is in no doubt of his gender. A clue is think of the actual order of wedding service - what is said

DaleCooper

Established Member
Afraid not. Earlier in the book, she tries to seduce him, so she is in no doubt of his gender. A clue is think of the actual order of wedding service - what is said
Is it the part of the Lutheran marriage service that's about disembowelling squirrels?

341o2

Established Member
Is it the part of the Lutheran marriage service that's about disembowelling squirrels?
Afraid not. What question is put to the congregation at any wedding service, Christian at least? That is half the answer, the other half is knowing what therapy Dr von Blimenstein advocates and contributed to Lt Verkramp's situation. It was he who scuppered the marriage.

MotCO

Established Member
Afraid not. What question is put to the congregation? That is half the answer, the other half is knowing what therapy Dr von Blimenstein advocates and contributed to Lt Verkramp's situation. It was he who scuppered the marriage.

"Does anyone here know any just reason why ths man and woman cannot be legally married". Was one of them already married? Were they both of the same sex?

341o2

Established Member
Time to reveal the answer methinks.

Kommandant van Heerden has taken two weeks' leave, wanting to learn how to be an English gentleman. On return to Piemburg, he finds half of the town blown up, apparently by Communist saboteurs. Also, police konstabels have been found to be fraternising with black women, so Lt Verkramp being in charge in the Kommandant's absence visited Dr von Blimenstein, who advised aversion therapy, to show pictures of naked black women while administering an electric shock. This works too well, in that the konstabels treated turn gay and won't go near any woman, black or white.

As a consequence, Lt Verkramp has been declared insane and placed in an institution, where Dr von Blimenstein, determined to get her man to the alter hypnotises him to say "I do."Again, it works only too well, when the minister asks "If anyone present knows any just cause or impediment..." Verkramp says "I do", thus putting an end to the ceremony.

The novel is a satire on Apartheid

Open floor please

Last edited:

Spamcan81

Time to reveal the answer methinks.

Kommandant van Heerden has taken two weeks' leave, wanting to learn how to be an English gentleman. On return to Piemburg, he finds half of the town blown up, apparently by Communist saboteurs. Also, police konstabels have been found to be fraternising with black women, so Lt Verkramp being in charge in the Kommandant's absence visited Dr von Blimenstein, who advised aversion therapy, to show pictures of naked black women while administering an electric shock. This works too well, in that the konstabels treated turn gay and won't go near any woman, black or white.

As a consequence, Lt Verkramp has been declared insane and placed in an institution, where Dr von Blimenstein, determined to get her man to the alter hypnotises him to say "I do."Again, it works only too well, when the minister asks "If anyone present knows any just cause or impediment..." Verkramp says "I do", thus putting an end to the ceremony.

The novel is a satire on Apartheid

Open floor please
And a good one at that. Been a long while since I've read it though so had forgotten much of the detail.

linmanfu

What question is put to the congregation at any wedding service, Christian at least?
Again, it works only too well, when the minister asks "If anyone present knows any just cause or impediment..." Verkramp says "I do", thus putting an end to the ceremony.
I once attended a wedding that used a Mandarin Chinese translation of the Book of Common Prayer. When the minister asked "If anyone present knows any just cause or impediment...", I expected the usual deliberate silence, but there was an eruption of noise.... I was severely startled. :o Then I realized the question had been asked using a Chinese construction that requires a answer, so most of the congregation had correctly replied "there's none!" (没有). Phew! :D

Anyone, back on topic, and let's stay on the Anglican theme. What place is said by cynics to resemble the Church of England because "it goes from Broad to High and straight past Jesus"?

Calthrop

Established Member
I once attended a wedding that used a Mandarin Chinese translation of the Book of Common Prayer. When the minister asked "If anyone present knows any just cause or impediment...", I expected the usual deliberate silence, but there was an eruption of noise.... I was severely startled. :o Then I realized the question had been asked using a Chinese construction that requires a answer, so most of the congregation had correctly replied "there's none!" (没有). Phew! :D

Anyone, back on topic, and let's stay on the Anglican theme. What place is said by cynics to resemble the Church of England because "it goes from Broad to High and straight past Jesus"?

Oxford: referring to that city / university's Broad Street, High Street, and Jesus College.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hmm. Basically you've got it, but the answer I was looking for is a specific place within Oxford that links Broad Street, High Street, and Jesus College....

Ah ! Turl Street, isn't it? -- runs between Broad and High, and Jesus College lies on it. Taking it that that is indeed what you were looking for: I attended that seat of learning (not that particular college), for heaven's sake -- albeit long ago, and disastrously. So -- assuming "the Turl" is indeed the answer -- I certainly don't deserve the next go; if things are thus -- open floor, please.