• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

deltic1989

Established Member
Grease has a cartoon! So not that one

Admittedly the starting credits are a cartoon. However the opening scene of the film, is John Travolta and Olivia Newton John running along a beach.
I fear there is a grey area in this question. When does a film actually begin?
Is it when the starting credits roll? (In which case none of my answers are valid, as the James Bond ones are during the Pre-Title sequence (before the starting credits), and Julie Andrews appears walking over the mountains before the starting credits are shown)
Or (in the case of a live action film) when the first live action sequence appears, which would validate all of my answers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Golghar

The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner opened with Tom Courtenay running with a voice over, didn't it? It's been decades since I watched the film.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
For clarity I mean from the first frame so including the titles. Sound of Music is a good one I hadn't thought of that. The four I had (and there are loads more!) Are Hard Days Night, Saturday Night Fever, Trainspotting & Chariots of Fire. Open Floor

Welshman

Established Member
What do the words:-
"Cleave", "oversight", "sanction", "dust"
have in common?

Seacook

What are the answers to these four questions and what connections them?

Which actor played the third starring role in Clark Gable's and Marilyn Monroe's last film?
Where would you go to find tauntauns and wampas?
Which character was played by Timothy West in Brass?
Which knockleball pitcher played for the Philadelphia Athletics in the 1920s and early 1930s and later worked as an American League umpire for over 20 years?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What are the answers to these four questions and what connections them?

Which actor played the third starring role in Clark Gable's and Marilyn Monroe's last film?
Where would you go to find tauntauns and wampas?
Which character was played by Timothy West in Brass?
Which knockleball pitcher played for the Philadelphia Athletics in the 1920s and early 1930s and later worked as an American League umpire for over 20 years?

Can I ask whether or not the fourth part of your conundrum refers to knuckleball....rather than the knockleball one stated.

I recognise the ice planet Hoth from the Star Wars film series as the location where the second part of your conundrum is concerned

Timothy West played the part of Bradley Hardacre in "Brass"

I am at a loss with regards to the actor in the first part of your conundrum.

Marton

1 Montgomery Clift in the Misfit?

2 Hoth

3 Bradley Hardacre

4 Eddie Rommel

Connection. No idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seacook

1 Montgomery Clift in the Misfit?

2 Hoth

3 Bradley Hardacre

4 Eddie Rommel

Connection. No idea.

Completely correct. For the connection consider the title of this thread.

Paul: Eddie Rommel did indeed throw a knuckleball. Another contribution from Typos R Us.

Marton

Open floor as tied up with work for few days.

Welshman

Established Member
Name a connection between the writers P.D.James, Alan Hunter & G.F Newman.
[There may be more than one, so answers other to that I have in mind will be considered].
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK - a bit vague - so think of actors.

deltic1989

Established Member
Martin Shaw
He played, Adam Dalgliesh in, Death in Holy Orders and The Murder Room (P.D. James).
The Title role in Judge John Deed (G.F. Newman).
and the title role in Inspector George Gently (Alan Hunter)

Open Floor.

cjp

Harking back to your English classes here is a simple one which might get more than the usual suspects answering - resist for a moment :D

Give in each case two one word examples of

an Onomatopoeia, Homonym, and Pallindrome

Bonus points for a word that fits into more than one category - OK go for it :D:D

Buttsy

Established Member
'Croak' for the first 2 and 'level' for the 3rd for my first set
'Chirp' for the first 2 and 'redder' for the 3rd for my second

Last edited:

Darren R

Established Member
Are "croak" and "chirp" homonyms? (Or am I misunderstanding Buttsy's reply?)

I will suggest:
"buzz" and "hum" as onomatopoeic words
"read" and "reed" as homonyms, and
"deed" and "radar" as palindromic words (although strictly speaking "radar" is an acronym, but I can't think of another one without pinching Buttsy's "level"!)

Buttsy

Established Member
I understood a homonym to be same pronunciation, same spelling, different meaning, reed and read I think are homophones.

Open floor if I am right with my original answer.

Seacook

Unless I misunderstood the question the setter requires two examples in each category.

I will offer:

chirrup and clink
bear and bore
aa and anna

Darren R

Established Member
I understood a homonym to be same pronunciation, same spelling, different meaning, reed and read I think are homophones.

Reed and read are indeed homophones (words with different spellings but the same pronunciation), but a homophone is also a homonym. A homograph (same spelling, different meaning) is also a homonym. Homophones and homographs are homonyms, and a homonym is always either a homophone or a homograph.

Which sort of begs the question: why do we need the word homonym at all! :p. (Perhaps I should paid more attention at school! :lol:)

All of which is rendered moot, since I've just realised that 'croak' is a verb as well as a noun, making it a homograph (and also a therefore a homonym!) So Buttsy's answer was right all along! :oops:

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Reed and read are indeed homophones (words with different spellings but the same pronunciation), but a homophone is also a homonym. A homograph (same spelling, different meaning) is also a homonym. Homophones and homographs are homonyms, and a homonym is always either a homophone or a homograph. All of which is rendered moot, since I've just realised that 'croak' is a verb as well as a noun, making it a homograph (and also a therefore a homonym!)

"Sir Humphrey" would have been proud to have made such an explanation..:D

Golghar

In pre-literate languages the question of homographs does't arise. There homonyms are words with different meanings that sound alike but have two different origins.

In a language with a standardized spelling the term "homograph" is usually restricted to pairs of words that are spelt in the same way but pronounced differently, e.g lead (the metal) and (to) lead (Verb); "homophone" to pairs spelt differently but pronounced in the same way ("meat" and "meet") and homonym to pairs like rose (flower) and rose (past tense of "rise") which are written and pronounced identically but have completely different origins.

Furthermore one has to distinguish between "homonymy" and "polysemy". Here's a link with some examples and explanations: http://www2.hawaii.edu/~bergen/ling640G/lec/lec4.htm

I just thought fo a suitable example to illustrate homonymy and polysemy in English: mint

The herb and the place where coins are made are homonyms. The herb and the sweet are polysemes.

Last edited: