• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
No idea, Paul, but I wish my name was 'Marmion of Scrivelsby' :)

Did they carry the crown on a cushion?

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I can't remember the title even though I saw something about this on telly only a couple of weeks ago ( serves me right for being half asleep! ) but they used to have a bloke whose role was to defend the King's honour during a Coronation should the need arise - was it this?

( If I'm right then as I can't remember the title we should wait until someone offers it correctly and they should take the next question ).

Marton

King's Champion in case of challenge he fought for the king.

Also a standard bearer.

Marton

In two parts of Italy the Catholic Church starts Lent on different days.

Where, why and how?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
There are Orthodox Catholic churches in Italy (think there is one in Venice) & they follow a different calendar.

Marton

One why correct.
On the way to the associated how.
The where is not right. I am looking for general geography on this one, but a city for the other where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Harking back to some 50 years or more to my time at St Bede's College, Manchester, when theology was able to be studied by those boarders who hoped to train for the priesthood, I can remember having certain dates in history of the Church impressed on my memory. I feel that at the Council of Nicea in 325AD, a decree was made that the start of Lent (Quaresima) would in future be celebrated on the first Sunday after the full moon of the Spring Equinox. Some in the Church followed the Julian calendar and others followed the Gregorian calendar.

In Britain, in 664AD, the Synod of Whitby was convened to decide which of the two calendars should be followed here.

Marton

Sorry no. Easter is the Sunday you describe.

Lent is 40 days. But it depend how you count them an that depends on what I seek.

Welshman

Established Member
The Western church does not count Sundays, so you have 6 weeks of 6 days plus the 4 days from Ash Wednesday-Saturday of the week prior to Lent 1, making 40 days.
Does the Eastern Tradition include Sundays in its calculations? If it does, Lent would start a week or so later.

Marton

Closer. It's about one particular western rite which is not Roman and one eastern one.

Welshman

Established Member
Laetare Sunday in the Roman Rite is known as Mothering Sunday in other churches. That day is also known as Refreshment Sunday, as it was a day when the Lenten Fast was relaxed.

Marton

One of the places is Milan.

The other was known historically as, as has broadly been said, Magna Graecia, although the current area is rather smaller.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Milan has a following of the Ambrosian Rite of Christianity.

Naples had been part of the Greek-settled Magna Graecia that the Greek Orthodox Church was pre-eminent in the early part of Christianity after the division between the two parts of the religion.

Last edited:

Marton

It was a bit of a mean one so here's the answer. I will be less obscure in future.

Ash Wednesday is the usual start of Lent in the Western Rite, in italy that is the Roman Rite

However

In Milan the church is not Roman but Ambrosian and Lent starts on the following Monday

In the parts of the south there is, in parallel to the Roman Rite, the Greek Catholic Rite Church which starts Lent on the Monday before Ash Wednesday.

I think Paul got nearest to the answer, so its his chance if he wants it

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Thank you...that was indeed a most excellent last conundrum.....I will now revert back to my far more youthful days when my voice was much better when it came to folk-singing, when the "Child" compilation of ballads of folk songs were having somewhat of a revival.

The "Child" ballads included the sad story of "Little Musgrave and Lady Barnard" and a modern version of that was written and the best known recorded version of this was a 19-verse rendition by Fairport Convention.

What was the name given to the folk song when they recorded it?

Welshman

Established Member
What links the following:-
1] An ancient cure for kidney disorders
2] A small community near Huddersfield, and
3] An R.S.C. actor (in the singular) ?