• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Generational Smoking Bans

Are you a smoker, and do you support or oppose generational smoking bans?

• I am a smoker, and I support generational smoking bans.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • I am a smoker, and I oppose generational smoking bans.

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • I am not a smoker, and I support generational smoking bans.

Votes: 112 47.9%
  • I am not a smoker, and I oppose generational smoking bans.

Votes: 82 35.0%
  • I am unsure.

Votes: 19 8.1%

• Total voters

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Just had another thought, I'm sure they came in something that looked near enough like a cigarette packet.
They did! I well remember having "sweetie fags" as a kid; thankfully they're long gone.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rapmastaj

Looking at the BBC report about this (link), it seems one problem could be that this bill simply isn't yet sufficiently advanced in its journey through the various Parliamentary procedures to stand much chance of being completed before Parliament is dissolved for the election.

I would also surmise that the Tories would also be reluctant to try to push through something that many Tory MPs are likely to vote against: A split party is not a good look just before the election. Must be disappointing for Sunak though as the reports seemed to be that he wanted this legislation to be one of his legacies.

Thank god we won't have to put up with Sunak for much longer. Prohibition and the war on drugs have been fairly widely recognised as disastrous, and more sensible countries are generally moving towards cannabis legalisation / decriminalisation. So going in the complete opposition direction and banning tobacco really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

gg1

Established Member
They even had a red end(!) :D I can remember pretending to ‘smoke’ them like real cigarettes.
There exists a picture of me aged 3 doing exactly that :lol:

I also remember beer glass shaped gummy sweets which did actually taste of beer.

Howardh

Established Member
Thank god we won't have to put up with Sunak for much longer. Prohibition and the war on drugs have been fairly widely recognised as disastrous, and more sensible countries are generally moving towards cannabis legalisation / decriminalisation. So going in the complete opposition direction and banning tobacco really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
If this ban went ahead, would that also apply to anyone "underage" who would be legally entitled to buy tobacco at the point of departure bringing it in to the UK for their own consumption? Thinking if I were 18, subject to this "ban" I could circumnavigate by having several foreign holidays and using duty-free? Also would someone in NI be able to simply cross the border and buy legitimately??

jfollows

Established Member
If this ban went ahead, would that also apply to anyone "underage" who would be legally entitled to buy tobacco at the point of departure bringing it in to the UK for their own consumption? Thinking if I were 18, subject to this "ban" I could circumnavigate by having several foreign holidays and using duty-free? Also would someone in NI be able to simply cross the border and buy legitimately??
No, it’s a ban on purchase rather than a ban on use, you don’t bypass it by buying elsewhere, it’s simply not in the scope of the bill.
Post 54 and others above.

philthetube

Established Member
They even had a red end(!) :D I can remember pretending to ‘smoke’ them like real cigarettes.

Thankfully I’ve never turned to smoking, apart from a few drags in the old school toilets. Getting caught and receiving the cane soon put a stop to my smoking life.
Also available were paper fags with a powder inside which you could blow through and "smoke" came out.

Howardh

Established Member
Also available were paper fags with a powder inside which you could blow through and "smoke" came out.
Early vapes? 2024 and we're at the situation where people carry small tubes around with them all day and suck/blow out of them.

jfollows

Established Member
Labour will include reintroduction of the legislation in its manifesto, it is reported.
The smoking ban is not dead, merely resting. It will appear in Labour manifesto, @theipaper understands, while Sunak would make it a priority if Tories re-elected.

Yew

Established Member
Labour will include reintroduction of the legislation in its manifesto, it is reported.
So no effort on student fees, and illiberal generational bans on smoking, Starmer is looking more and more like a Conservative PM in all but (party) name.

Trackman

Established Member
Early vapes? 2024 and we're at the situation where people carry small tubes around with them all day and suck/blow out of them.
No, it was a joke thing for kids in the 70's at least. Gawd knows what would happen to you if you actually inhaled them.

takno

Established Member
No, it was a joke thing for kids in the 70's at least. Gawd knows what would happen to you if you actually inhaled them.
It's only chalk dust. You can't get cancer from something innocuous like that...