• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Germany: Strike action likely from Jan 8

k-c-p

The membership of the train drivers union GDL has voted for strikes. After two one day strikes in the last few weeks, multi-day strikes are likely from Jan 8. The union leader had stated recently that no strike will take place until Jan 7.
Strikes should/will be announced 48 hours in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Should be 2 weeks, not 2 days. But 8th of Jan is still well over a fortnight away.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Not sure if they will strike on 8th I read it as from then they will announce strikes.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Should be 2 weeks, not 2 days. But 8th of Jan is still well over a fortnight away.
no such notice needs to be given in Germany. They could walk out immidietly if they feel like it. GDL knows that they will loose sympathy if they do it in the Xmas period, hence the generous notification.

Fragezeichnen

I suspect the strikes will go on for a while. The last major round of GDL-DB strike action ended in an indefinite strike in May and was eventually resolved by appointing two former state presidents to negotiate on behalf the two parties.

They negotiating aims include reduction in the working week from 38 to 35 hours which quite apart from any financial consderations, would present practical problems for Deutsche Bahn in recruiting and training about 1500 new drivers on top of the normal recruitment cycle in order to retain the same capacity.

This is the last round of tariff negotiations that high profile Union Chairman Claus Weselsky will oversee before retirement. Even by his own members he has been accused of autocracy and of being more interested in increasing the power and influence of the union than negotiating. He will no doubt want to go out on a high and leave the union in a strong position.

bahnause

I suspect the strikes will go on for a while. The last major round of GDL-DB strike action ended in an indefinite strike in May and was eventually resolved by appointing two former state presidents to negotiate on behalf the two parties.

They negotiating aims include reduction in the working week from 38 to 35 hours which quite apart from any financial consderations, would present practical problems for Deutsche Bahn in recruiting and training about 1500 new drivers on top of the normal recruitment cycle in order to retain the same capacity.

This is the last round of tariff negotiations that high profile Union Chairman Claus Weselsky will oversee before retirement. Even by his own members he has been accused of autocracy and of being more interested in increasing the power and influence of the union than negotiating. He will no doubt want to go out on a high and leave the union in a strong position.
As always, there was a ballot before the strike action. He therefore has to have a pretty solid support from the unions members. The accusations of a lack of willingness to negotiate sound a little far-fetched after the agreement reached with the private operator Netinera, where a compromise including a reduction in working hours was reached without strike action. Might not be a "militant union" problem after all.

nwales58

Ballot was 97% in favour with 70% turnout according to Tagesschau the other day.

Weselsky is enjoying himself beng moderate, only 3-5 day strikes, plural, initially despite a mandate for indefinite (needs 75% approval in Germany, which was achieved)

Off topic, but the weather is trying to upstage the strike damage today.

Link because the images are copyright FAZ, the picture half way down of Hamburg Hbf overcrowded platform is impressive:

Last edited:

Polrail

And a new strike is announced. This one for longer than the previous ones:

Nationwide strike in Germany from Wednesday, 24 January 2024 until Monday, 29 January (incl.)

DB asks passengers to postpone their journey if possible - goodwill of the railway towards customers

The trade-union of the German train-drivers (GDL) will execute countrywide strike-activities between 24 January until end of Monday, 29 January. The strike will have a massive impact on all German railway operations. DB very much regrets that this will affect the travel plans of millions of rail customers. Passengers are asked to refrain from non-essential travel with DB during the strike or to postpone their journey.

doc7austin

My advise since December last year:
Do not plan any long-distance train journey through Germany until the GDL and Deutsche Bahn have signed a new salary agreement !

YorkshireBear

Established Member
My advise since December last year:
Do not plan any long-distance train journey through Germany until the GDL and Deutsche Bahn have signed a new salary agreement !
Indeed that is now my advice to others, unfortunately I've already booked a trip over a weekend in March from Cologne to Copenhagen with an overnight in Hamburg. Will keep my eye on things and have already looked at flights etc and what my options are. It appears these longer strikes are announced with more notice.

Does anyone know if the strikes have impacted Germany to Denmark services?

Last edited:

doc7austin

Does anyone know if the strikes have impacted Germany to Denmark services?
Most likely cancelled on the German segment: Padborg-Hamburg.

The strike action will most likely escalate this February. At one point - hopefully by March - Deutsche Bahn will cave into the demands by the GDL union.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Most likely cancelled on the German segment: Padborg-Hamburg.

The strike action will most likely escalate this February. At one point - hopefully by March - Deutsche Bahn will cave into the demands by the GDL union.
That sounds logical.

Well I've looked at my options and if I have to fly/bus the Cologne to Copenhagen but so be it. It's not till early march and I'm hoping these longer strikes force an agreement of sorts.

doc7austin

5-6 years ago -> GDL was striking like crazy.
After four rounds of "limited" strikes (e.g. 2-5 days each), GDL announced an "unlimited" strike without any end-date.
Only then Deutsche Bahn caved in.

The same same soap opera "GDL vs. Deutsche Bahn" repeats itself every 5-6 years.

Last edited:

doc7austin

The GDL has so far successfully concluded agreements with 18 railway companies that fulfil its main demands. Only with Deutsche Bahn there always seems to be a problem...
That's also because there is a war between two unions: EVG (its umbrella organisation is the DGB) and the GDL (its umbrella organisation is the dbb).
The DGB is known to be closely associated with the ruling SPD party.

Most employees have the right to chose themselves whether and to which union they belong it. And they are allowed to keep it secret.

You can also read critical statements of the DGB about the strike - well, that's understandle because there is a war ongoing against the GDL/dbb.

Those other 18 train operators do not want to get sucked into that war.

But when it comes to Deutsche Bahn: there is political pressure to act against the GDL.

Last edited:

bahnause

Those other 18 train operators do not want to get sucked into that war.
I tend to think that Deutsche Bahn is suffering from a loss of reality, while its competitors have largely recognised the signs of the times. Competition is not just limited to routes and franchises, but is increasingly expanding to include competition for staff. The sooner DB accepts this reality, the sooner an agreement with the GDL will be reached.

popeter45

yea real concerned for my trip in febuary now, prob going to book backup flixbus tickets just in case
is european sleeper effected by this?, i know OBB are but not heard about european sleeper yet

rvdborgt

yea real concerned for my trip in febuary now, prob going to book backup flixbus tickets just in case
is european sleeper effected by this?, i know OBB are but not heard about european sleeper yet
They'll probably run when they're not stopped by signal boxes on strike.

SeanG

I'm due to be heading to Germany the week after (5th -9th) so hoping that as this is so soon after this strike, I won't be affected

popeter45

I'm due to be heading to Germany the week after (5th -9th) so hoping that as this is so soon after this strike, I won't be affected
there was one only 2 weeks ago (9th-12th) so if they are pushing further and further to "indefinite strike" i fear the strike actions will get closer and closer

Small operators with a commercial stake in the game being more receptive is hardly unique to germany.
Look at the relative successes bus drivers are having here compared to those negotiating with the DfT whose bosses gets thr same pay wether the trains are running or not

duesselmartin

Established Member
Could be if GDL signalling staff is on the route.
I double booked to Brussels now. First DB, now Flixbus just in case.

doc7austin

There is a very high probability that your trip will be affected by strikes.
The strike cycle is around 2 weeks at the moment.

Last edited:

doc7austin

Brussels - Paris - Basel - Zürich - Salzburg

Many of my colleagues since December have been booking flights for their business trips (e.g. Berlin - Munich or Hamburg - Munich), when normally they would opt for the train.

JB_B

Established Member
I''ll be travelling in Germany 3&4 Feb so quite interested to know if there's likely to be further strike action then. Is there any requirement for a notice period ( like the 14 day rule in the UK )?

doc7austin

I''ll be travelling in Germany 3&4 Feb so quite interested to know if there's likely to be further strike action then.

Well, I think that mentioned here a couple of times already.
The dispute between GDL and Deutsche Bahn is going to escalate.
That means the strike period will become longer and longer (first 24 hours, then 2 days, then 5 days, then 7 days, then unlimited).

You might get lucky and avoid the strike. The current strike goes from Jan 24 to Jan 29.
Usually, there you will see at least one week of peace. So the next round is slated to start at around Feb 8 (my expectation).

Is there any requirement for a notice period ( like the 14 day rule in the UK )?

No !
Any period of notice (now its 2 days) is just a "service gesture" by the unions to avoid people getting stranded.

popeter45

Well, I think that mentioned here a couple of times already.
The dispute between GDL and Deutsche Bahn is going to escalate.
That means the strike period will become longer and longer (first 24 hours, then 2 days, then 5 days, then 7 days, then unlimited).

You might get lucky and avoid the strike. The current strike goes from Jan 24 to Jan 29.
Usually, there you will see at least one week of peace. So the next round is slated to start at around Feb 8 (my expectation).
yea worse case possible for me as traveling 10th to 12th on NJ's on a Paris-Vennia-Hamburg trip then 14th on DSB to Copenhagen, both use DB drivers inside Germany :(
got a backup flixbus booked but so hoping i can cancel that
Could be if GDL signalling staff is on the route.
I double booked to Brussels now. First DB, now Flixbus just in case.
chatted with them and they say they should not be affected

SeanG

Think we will be in the clear (sort of) if the strike starts on 8th. Mean to be doing Chur - Friedrichshafen on 8th and then Friedrichshafen - Ulm - Paris on 9th. So I've just booked a hotel in Basel on 8th and can divert that way to pick up our TGV at Strasbourg