• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow - Cardiff

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Afternoon y'all. The 'Cheapest Fare Finder' on the NRE website suggests that there are some via CrossCountry Advance tickets available for Glasgow - Cardiff ... but despite repeated searching on various dates on the NXEC website, I can't find them (even going into the options and deselecting faster journeys etc). Do Advance fares exist for this journey?

Thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
There are both 'XC only' and 'XC & Connections' advance fares available for Glasgow-Cardiff. To check for availability on the NXEC site, press 'show slower routes' on the left hand side, then tick the relevent boxes and press 'update'.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
There are both 'XC only' and 'XC & Connections' advance fares available for Glasgow-Cardiff. To check for availability on the NXEC site, press 'show slower routes' on the left hand side, then tick the relevent boxes and press 'update'.

Hmm... still no luck :(

The Advance fares aren't even showing up as greyed out boxes on the upper part of the mixing deck screen; the cheapest single fares Off-Peak and Anytime... will go and try some more dates, but I suspect I'm going to have to do some splitting...

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I've never been able to find any advance tickets from Scotland to South Wales. I phoned Virign to check several years ago when they were running the XC franchise and their call centre suggested I try searching tickets to Bristol Parkway instead, and then buying a second ticket onwards!!

I had hoped that more would be available now with the relentless push towards booking in advance but I still can't find any

krus_aragon

Established Member
Splitting tickets should help you find some advance fares. If you split at Crewe, then you'll be using Virgin West Coast allocations from Glasgow to Crewe, and then Arriva Wales from Crewe to Cardiff. Looking at the 31st of August as an example, there are tickets available from ~£50 one way.

OwlMan

Established Member
You can also try splitting at Birmingham - looking at the end of September there are £19 fares to Birmingham & £11 fares Birmingham - Cardiff

Peter

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Thanks everyone. It's a longer trip than I was expecting; ashamed to admit I'm only considering it by rail because FlyBe have changed their schedule of their flights and my booked flights no longer work.

Failed Unit

Established Member
You could find the quickest and cheapest way now splitting in London and getting Glasgow - London & London - Cardiff combo!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I'm no expert but this seems to work - but more to the point, it ends with one of the strangest tickets I know (£7 for a 150mile 8 hour journey from Carlisle to Carstairs which goes through Carstairs without stopping on to Edinburgh where either you change to return to Carstairs, or, you just get off, of course!) Not available every day.

Cardiff - Bristol P'way £3
Bristol P'way - B'ham New Street £11
B'ham - Crewe £6
Crewe - Penrith £12:50
Penrith - Lockerbie £4 (this is another good one, you'll stop at Carlisle)
then Carlisle - Carstairs (via Edinburgh) £7
Total £43:50

clagmonster

Established Member
Please can you explain how the Carlisle-Carstairs ticket is valid via Glasgow? I have looked in the routing guide, and both Carlisle and Carstairs are routing points,, and the only mapped route between the two is map FK, which only allows Carlisle-Carstairs direct. I can't see any relevent easements so I assume I am missing something.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Apologies. I see the title of the posting is Cardiff-Glasgow but somehow got sidetracked into thinking the OP just wanted to get "to Scotland".
I wouldn't have posted if it wasn't for my astonishment at the Carlisle - Carstairs ticket via Edin as I described which I thought others might find amusing too. No, it doesn't help get to Glasgow, but there is one which does ! - here's the details:

1. VIA GLASGOW
I've just searched again on NR .co.uk for Carlisle - Carstairs on (randomly) Sat Sept 26th and it offered me the route:
Carlisle - Carstairs cost £9:50
Travel north by VT Dep Carlisle 13:47 arr Glasgow Cent 15:01 Then south by FSR dep Glasgow Cent 15:19 arr Carstairs 15:56

2. VIA EDINBURGH
I got the "via Edinburgh" price from NXEC site (for the same date) in the return direction (Carstairs - Carlisle):
Sat Sept 26th and it offers me 4 services, all via either Glasgow or Edinburgh.:
e.g.
FSR dep Carstairs 15:56 arr Edin 16:35 VT dep Edin 16:52 arr Carlisle 18:05

or 3. VIA GLASGOW
FSR dep Carstairs 9:40 arr Glasgow 10:15 VT dep Glasgow 10:40 arr Carlisle 11:46

Sorry not to notice the OP wanted to go to Glasgow, but it seems it still can be done, (but at a little more than £7) for a trip which is mostly doubling back is a bit exceptional!

Last edited:

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Apologies. I see the title of the posting is Cardiff-Glasgow but somehow got sidetracked into thinking the OP just wanted to get "to Scotland".

Well, it's a start :)

Thanks for the input re: split ticketing full fare tickets. However I may be able to get the best deal by looking for Advance tickets for Glasgow/Crewe and Crewe/Cardiff. I should have lots of notice for this trip, so getting Advance fares shouldn't be a problem.

jwos

Buy a single from Inverness to Rosslare - £32. No Advance Purchase requirements. Break of journey of rail portion permitted. Sorted!

The same applies with this journey, but start the ticket at Glasgow if you wish. A very handy trick to remember...

Railjet

The same applies with this journey, but start the ticket at Glasgow if you wish. A very handy trick to remember...

Has this been attempted successfully? I would have thought there would have serious problems breaking your journey with the Sail & Rail ticket. Avantix is certainly ambiguous.

jwos

The Restriction code is 6C,

which states that:

"Validity
Code

6C

ATW

Outward Travel
Return Travel

Valid on date on ticket only

Valid on Stena Line services port to port only

Reservations are compulsory on the ship leg

Break of journey on rail leg only

No unaccompanied children under 16 permitted to travel
Valid on date on ticket only

Valid on Stena Line services port to port only

Reservations are compulsory on the ship leg

Break of journey on rail leg only

No unaccompanied children under 16 permitted to travel

Refunds

Tickets issued in the UK
Normal refund rules apply.

Tickets issued in Republic of Ireland
Refunds cannot be given. The customer must claim through Irish Rail"

Break of journey is defined as:

"Break of journey
Break of Journey, including starting or finishing a journey at an intermediate station between the origin and destination, is generally allowed as stated in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.

Break of Journey is not available:-

· with Advance tickets issued from a quota;

· where the restriction code specifically restricts this;

· for any ticket with a validity shown as not available at intermediate stations;

· At London Underground (LU) stations other than at LU stations on a Train Company route where Train Company trains are scheduled to call, and subject to the general terms and conditions of the ticket permitting break of journey. EXAMPLE: with an Off-Peak Day Return from Luton to Brighton, break of journey is permitted at Kentish Town or Farringdon.

These conditions do not apply to:

1. Travelcards, which allow unlimited journeys within their zones of availability (for further details click here).

2. Journeys made on LU tickets between LU-controlled stations on inter-available routes (for further details click here).

Break of journey is always available for changing between trains and stations to continue the journey."

So, you can finish the journey at an intermediate station.

Shout all this from the rooftops too much tho, and they'll probably change the restrictions!!!

Railjet

Yes, Avantix has this, but also:

Ticket Code: ECS
Ticket Class: STANDARD
Ticket Name: ECONOMY SINGLE
Single/Return: SINGLE
Out Validity:-
DATE ON TICKET ONLY
Break of Journey: NO

Reservation coupons for the
ship leg are mandatory and
rail tickets are not valid
without them

NOT VALID PORT TO PORT

Ticket Code: ECR
Ticket Class: STANDARD
Ticket Name: ECONOMY RETURN
Single/Return: RETURN
Out and Return Validity:-
DATE ON TICKET ONLY
Break of Journey: NO

Reservation coupons for the
ship leg are mandatory and
rail tickets are not valid
without them

NOT VALID PORT TO PORT

Also, from the Irish Ferries website - OK, not necessarily definitive, but of interest:

Ticket Validity:
Tickets are valid for 1 month only from the outward travel date. These tickets do not permit a break in journey and are valid for point to point travel only. Please note that lost tickets cannot be replaced and a new ticket must be purchased for travel.

jwos

Hmm... A 3chee to my touchee...

The terms and conditions of Economy Singles as shown in 'the manual', which ATOC advertise as now being the only source for such information, and from where info in the Avantix is taken, state that break of journey is permitted on the rail portion.

I'd hazard a guess that the info in the Avantix is wrong, particularly as you could never actually issue one of these through a mobile TIS anyway, due to the requirement to make reservations and produce a sea control ticket, neither of which are possible on them.

Also, in cases like this where there is a degree of ambiguity, with conflicting instructions to staff, staff are urged towards leniency in the passenger's favour.

Should the passenger nevertheless face an obstinate guard who makes them pay more or pay again, TOC customer relations offices will always have to back down and refund it as long as there is still published information which states that the ticket is valid.

Railjet

I agree with you, but I wouldn't be the one to risk it. :)

Still haven't heard if anyone has actually any experience of trying this ....

Status
Not open for further replies.