• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Cen/Qst

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Probably a silly question, but will a ticket to Glasgow Cen/Qst be retained by barriers at Glasgow Central? A friend told me it's valid on the SPT subway but the barriers retain the such tickets, and I want to use the subway (if it's of course valid).

It's not really worth me getting a Roundabout, so what would be the cheapest for doing a full circle of the subway? It will be 1 adult 1 child with a Family and Friends.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, it should be retained, and no, it will not be valid on the Subway.

A single on the subway is valid for one trip around the circle up to the origin station - £1.40 adult 70p child.

sheff1

Established Member
I don't agree that all tickets should be retained as some have continuing validity (but not on the Subway).

1E05

Tickets showing a start / end point of Glasgow cen/qst will not be valid on the Subway and instead will be retained by the barriers at the main Glasgow termini.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I don't agree that all tickets should be retained as some have continuing validity (but not on the Subway).

Are you suggesting that it should be valid via Partick to Queen Street?

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Thanks for the help.

I also need the tickets as the trip technically is a business trip (with a few hours beforehand to bash the subway :D) and expenses can be claimed but proof of travel as well as a receipt is needed, unless the train arrives into ungated platform 1 and 2, how would I go about keeping the ticket? Are the staff friendly about that or will they insist you put it through the barrier? The SR website says that ticket's can't be retracted once eaten and that a receipt should be used instead.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Just ask to keep the ticket and use the manual gate. There shouldn't be an issue.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Nice one mate. I asked because my mum was refused to keep the ticket last time she tried to keep it at a barriered station (Cardiff Central) and she had trouble at work claiming it back.

As for the subway, I'll just have to buy a single.

Altnabreac

Established Member
Thanks for the help.

I also need the tickets as the trip technically is a business trip (with a few hours beforehand to bash the subway :D) and expenses can be claimed but proof of travel as well as a receipt is needed, unless the train arrives into ungated platform 1 and 2, how would I go about keeping the ticket? Are the staff friendly about that or will they insist you put it through the barrier? The SR website says that ticket's can't be retracted once eaten and that a receipt should be used instead.

For validity via Partick or to retain tickets without needing to go through manual gates just make sure you purchase to Argyle St (from the north) or High St Glasgow (from the south). On most local flows the price will be identical but you can travel cross city either via the bus or via Partick.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes - 'the shortest route is always a permitted route'. We have had this discussion before ;)

I see what you mean, although I am not sure about that myself, but that is for another thread.

Nice one mate. I asked because my mum was refused to keep the ticket last time she tried to keep it at a barriered station (Cardiff Central) and she had trouble at work claiming it back.

As for the subway, I'll just have to buy a single.

This can happen. There are some staff around the country who insist on retaining passengers' tickets at the end of their validity. Strictly speaking, they are correct, but there aren't many of those around and the chance of running into one is extremely low. I am yet to encounter one in all my travels. The worst I had was some mumble about getting a receipt next time but was still allowed to keep the ticket. Most staff are happy to exercise discretion to allow you to keep it if asked nicely.

Altnabreac's suggestion of buying long is a good workaround if you have not yet bought the ticket.

headshot119

Established Member
I see what you mean, although I am not sure about that myself, but that is for another thread.

This can happen. There are some staff around the country who insist on retaining passengers' tickets at the end of their validity. Strictly speaking, they are correct, but there aren't many of those around and the chance of running into one is extremely low. I am yet to encounter one in all my travels. The worst I had was some mumble about getting a receipt next time but was still allowed to keep the ticket. Most staff are happy to exercise discretion to allow you to keep it if asked nicely.

Altnabreac's suggestion of buying long is a good workaround if you have not yet bought the ticket.

I had a member of FGW staff at Paddington try and take my expired Advance ticket off me at the gateline, and wouldn't let me through unless he took it off me. :roll:

I ended up wandering around for a bit and finding a different member of staff who happily let me through.

Clip

Established Member
I had a member of FGW staff at Paddington try and take my expired Advance ticket off me at the gateline, and wouldn't let me through unless he took it off me. :roll:

As bb21 has already pointed out - technically they are correct in doing so. The ticket remains the property of the railway at all times. And without sounding too harsh here, its not the railways issue should people need to claim back from expenses using the ticket - reciept of purchase should be enough.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
As bb21 has already pointed out - technically they are correct in doing so. The ticket remains the property of the railway at all times. And without sounding too harsh here, its not the railways issue should people need to claim back from expenses using the ticket - reciept of purchase should be enough.

In an ideal world a receipt of purchase would be enough, but the railways don't help the issue when they can't or won't provide a receipt with enough detail in all cases. If the railway insists on preventing me claiming my expenses I would simply stop using them. Perhaps that's what they want?

londiscape

I agree that the ticket remains the property of the railway and therefore the staff are entitled to retain the ticket at the end of its validity, but as I have pointed out in another thread, some clueless employers (a previous one of mine included) will not let you claim expenses unless you provide point-to-point proof of travel.

Is this the railway's fault? No - in my opinion, it is the idiot employer's fault for having a ridiculous expenses policy. Hint - public sector.

When I worked for this particular organisation, and had to travel for work purposes, I found that explaining the matter in a friendly manner to the gentlemen on the gate line resulted in my being permitted to keep my ticket, hence no problems.

However it does beg the question as to what a person would do if denied this option by a staff member rigorously enforcing the rules? Potentially would be out of pocket by a significant amount.

Clip

Established Member
In an ideal world a receipt of purchase would be enough, but the railways don't help the issue when they can't or won't provide a receipt with enough detail in all cases. If the railway insists on preventing me claiming my expenses I would simply stop using them. Perhaps that's what they want?

I'd say thats down to your employer more than the railways, as londiscape has attained to above.

Maybe the method used by your company is wrong in as much as making you pay for travel then claim it back. A more sensible way to do such a thing and have control over your travel expenses would be the company to purchase your tickets in advance so they would have the proof there and then.

I know that any travel I do on the company credit card just has to have a reciept for the transaction on it and not the tickets.

Altnabreac

Established Member
I'd say thats down to your employer more than the railways, as londiscape has attained to above.

Maybe the method used by your company is wrong in as much as making you pay for travel then claim it back. A more sensible way to do such a thing and have control over your travel expenses would be the company to purchase your tickets in advance so they would have the proof there and then.

I know that any travel I do on the company credit card just has to have a reciept for the transaction on it and not the tickets.

Yes but sensible railway companies will make life simple for people using the railways for business use. The choice of travel mode is often up to staff. The bureaucracy of travel claims however is never within staff's control.

I always use the train for business travel but have a colleague who refuses to do so after a bad experience with gateline staff who retained his ticket. This left him out of pocket due to our company expenses policies.

He now drives everywhere and the railways get zero income from him thanks to one overzealous staff member. Petrol station staff meanwhile are always happy to provide receipts...

Clip

Established Member
Yes but sensible railway companies will make life simple for people using the railways for business use. The choice of travel mode is often up to staff. The bureaucracy of travel claims however is never within staff's control.

I always use the train for business travel but have a colleague who refuses to do so after a bad experience with gateline staff who retained his ticket. This left him out of pocket due to our company expenses policies.

He now drives everywhere and the railways get zero income from him thanks to one overzealous staff member. Petrol station staff meanwhile are always happy to provide receipts...

Well again, no. The railway has its rules and those rules state that the ticket remains the property of them at all times.

Its up to businesses to adjust their own policies to suit the mode of travel not the railway. We provide a service, we do not and really should not have to bend over backwards just because some companies either do not trust their staff when they make expenses claims or do not have a satisfactory system of travel payments within their system.

Lots of companies have these and for them its no problem - person buys tickets - gives them to staff. No problem.

Altnabreac

Established Member
Well again, no. The railway has its rules and those rules state that the ticket remains the property of them at all times.

Its up to businesses to adjust their own policies to suit the mode of travel not the railway. We provide a service, we do not and really should not have to bend over backwards just because some companies either do not trust their staff when they make expenses claims or do not have a satisfactory system of travel payments within their system.

Lots of companies have these and for them its no problem - person buys tickets - gives them to staff. No problem.

Sadly its attitudes like this that show some people working on the railways don't fully understand the reality of being a customer facing industry. It's up to railway companies and their staff to adapt their systems to suit customers. Otherwise people just drive, or fly, or take a coach etc.

I am always advocating use of the railways to friends and colleagues but it only takes one bad experience with jobsworth staff to put people off rail travel where they have a choice of mode.

A small minority of rail staff take great pleasure in being unpleasant to customers and enforcing inflexible industry rules (real or imagined), its a shame as 99% of staff I meet are really nice and go out of their way to be helpful.

As I say I have to retain tickets for retrospective travel claims, I don't have access to a company credit card and we don't have a corporate travel agent. I make 4-6 rail journeys a month totalling £100 or so. If I get a barrier assistant who insists on keeping a £30 ticket that money comes straight out of my pocket.

Alternatively I can pick up car keys at my office reception desk and take a pool vehicle straight to my destination, guaranteed no cost to me. If I need to stop for fuel, no problem, the petrol stations are happy to give me a receipt with all the details I need, no danger of not getting paid the costs.

Now I stick to the train despite this as I either buy long or stand my ground with barrier staff / find a nicer staff member but I can see why colleagues just don't bother using trains after those sort of experiences.

sheff1

Established Member

So it is the case then that 'the railway' prefers that business people use the car or plane rather than the train. Thanks for clearing that up.

Alternatively I can pick up car keys at my office reception desk and take a pool vehicle straight to my destination, guaranteed no cost to me. If I need to stop for fuel, no problem, the petrol stations are happy to give me a receipt with all the details I need, no danger of not getting paid the costs.

Which is exactly what the vast majority of people in my office did. I didn't realise at the time that was what 'the railway' wanted.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Can we please not start yet another thread about the rights and wrongs of retaining tickets?

causton

Established Member
What's to say that the driver providing a receipt for petrol actually used that petrol for work purposes?

...they could have got a lift from someone else and used that petrol for going to watch the football the next day!

So why do employers insist on seeing the actual tickets?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

I don't think the issue here is the advocacy that the railway should bend over backwards for whatever reason. It is perfectly fine that the industry retains this practice. Staff who insist on retaining used tickets are simply doing their job and haven't done anything wrong. I don't think anyone can argue against that.

However, the important point is that it may well be in the industry's interests to allow people to keep used tickets for expenses purposes. The industry cannot influence other companies' expenses policies, but neither can their own staff. The example provided by Altnabreac shows that this practice may well result in lost custom from a section of the population. When that happens, such as in those cases where the employees simply switched to driving instead, these employees themselves did not lose out as they were still reimbursed expenses. Their employers did not lose out because they paid their staff expenses regardless of which mode of transport they used. The petrol stations benefited from the additional custom, whereas the railway industry were the only losers.

So really this is not about right or wrong. The railway industry may well be doing the right thing by the book, but is it doing the most beneficial thing?

TUC

Established Member

If you have first class ticket you may want to retain it to gain access to the first class lounge at the station.

Clip

Established Member
Sadly its attitudes like this that show some people working on the railways don't fully understand the reality of being a customer facing industry. It's up to railway companies and their staff to adapt their systems to suit customers. Otherwise people just drive, or fly, or take a coach etc.

I am always advocating use of the railways to friends and colleagues but it only takes one bad experience with jobsworth staff to put people off rail travel where they have a choice of mode.

A small minority of rail staff take great pleasure in being unpleasant to customers and enforcing inflexible industry rules (real or imagined), its a shame as 99% of staff I meet are really nice and go out of their way to be helpful.

As I say I have to retain tickets for retrospective travel claims, I don't have access to a company credit card and we don't have a corporate travel agent. I make 4-6 rail journeys a month totalling £100 or so. If I get a barrier assistant who insists on keeping a £30 ticket that money comes straight out of my pocket.

Now I stick to the train despite this as I either buy long or stand my ground with barrier staff / find a nicer staff member but I can see why colleagues just don't bother using trains after those sort of experiences.

Telling me I dont know about customer facing industry and then calling my staff and others within the railway 'jobsworths' just for following the rules laid down is just bollocks.

You go pick up the keys to your car, marra.

As I have said quite clearly, it is not the fault of the railways that businesses have such a poor quality format for allowing their staff to travel.

Timster83

As I have said quite clearly, it is not the fault of the railways that businesses have such a poor quality format for allowing their staff to travel.

This is all well and good if you are working under the assumption that organisations have no obligation to change policies and processes which negatively impact on their customers.

Why do you believe that the railway companies should not adapt to serve the needs of its clients, other than the fact that they have a de facto monopoly and perhaps feel that their customers have little choice but to purchase from them?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We disscussed the rights and wrongs of retaining tickets, whether employers should change their policies or if the railway should change it's way of operating very recently. I see no need to go into it again on this thread.

The OP has the answer they're looking for and as such this thread is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.