• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Central - low level refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmad

this is purely window dressing so the 'customers' can see something change for the huge disruption needed to fix the structural issues in the tunnel. It needed to be (a) quick to develop (b) largely non disruptive in terms of track access and, above all (c) cheap.

Any works in the next couple of years that could be brought forward without lengthening the overall programme (given that there are effectively only 2 access points for heavy plant) has been.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Albaman

Sewers/Drains.
I was reminded of the smell when travelling to the SECC yesterday. I agree that sewers/drains are a feature but there is something else that I can't identify but always reminds me of curry/cooking of some sort. Anyway, hope it is eliminated as part of the refurbishment.

InOban

Established Member
I seem to recall from an episode of Inside Central Station that they were trying to open the other tunnel as part of the Tour. They had to locate the source of a substantial leak of water into that side, but I can't remember what the solution was, although they did AIR succeed in stopping it. Maybe the leak had something to do with the smell.

Peter0124

Established Member
Having also been down there on the tour I reckon a third platform could be put back in to use as a terminating platform in both directions. Doubt it will happen though.
Make it a decent length and in theory you could divert 390s there if the line through Polmadie (if Cathcart also closed) / Glasgow Central High Level is closed.

Nev85

Been a while since I'd hit GLCLL , but I was there this morning and had almost forgotten how depressing it is. Hopefully these plans at least brighten the place up.

That said, I don't recall having seen the entrance archway from HL, which google tells me has been there since 2014 so either I've missed it (possible!) or it really has been that long since I've been there.

XAM2175

Established Member
Make it a decent length and in theory you could divert 390s there if the line through Polmadie (if Cathcart also closed) / Glasgow Central High Level is closed.
I can think of about three hundred better uses for that much money, and that's before I get to the ones that are actually likely to happen.

clc

Established Member
Been a while since I'd hit GLCLL , but I was there this morning and had almost forgotten how depressing it is. Hopefully these plans at least brighten the place up.

That said, I don't recall having seen the entrance archway from HL, which google tells me has been there since 2014 so either I've missed it (possible!) or it really has been that long since I've been there.
I think Google is correct. I’m sure it was erected ahead of the Commonwealth Games.

What is the smell?

It's impossible to describe. It's not like any other underground station or system I've ever set foot in.

The Glasgow Subway smells like damp old tunnel and egg. The Berlin U-Bahn smells like tar and Jeyes Fluid.

Glasgow Central Low Level? It's like a mixture of egg and bad breath with a hint of sewage.

Peter0124

Established Member
I don't understand why there is express Hamilton Circle-Cambuslang-Glasgow services ONLY in the 'peak' during this blockade. Why can't they provide atleast one train an hour all day between say Larkhall and Central via Cambuslang fast? Is there insufficient demand? The Larkhall route goes Maxwell Park way creating a slightly longer journey end-end and thus halves the frequencies on the Hamilton Circle.

I'd like to know what Saturdays loadings will be like all day without any of the express extras and just 2tph via Cathcart.

AndrewE

Established Member
Certainly making the direction of running more clear for each platform is an improvement.
Completely pointless. You stand on the platform the doparture board tells you, check on the screen for the stops on your actual train and get on when it arrives. In most places in the UK it's almost certain to carry on in the same direction if you are fussy about which way your seat faces, if not then you will learn quickly!
If it is just part of the decor and lighting provision I hope it is as easily accessible for a wipe-down as lighting installed on the platform would be.

XAM2175

Established Member
Completely pointless. You stand on the platform the doparture board tells you, check on the screen for the stops on your actual train and get on when it arrives. In most places in the UK it's almost certain to carry on in the same direction if you are fussy about which way your seat faces, if not then you will learn quickly!
You may have noted my concurrent remark about the hopeless state of the information screens. If this is your attitude to passenger wayfinding I sincerely hope you've zero involvement in its specification and provision.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
You may have noted my concurrent remark about the hopeless state of the information screens. If this is your attitude to passenger wayfinding I sincerely hope you've zero involvement in its specification and provision.
I do find the screens at Central Low Level to be absolutely horrific. They spend most of the time scrolling through safety information and summary of departures than actual departures.

Thameslink style ones would work better imo.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A reminder that this thread is for discussion of the refurbishment of Glasgow Central low level.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
When will it be complete?
Normal service resumes May 8th

Anderston station is to stay closed until June.

Commuters have been dealt a blow with the news that Anderston train station is to remain closed until June.

The city centre station has been closed since March 13 as part of the ongoing eight-week closure of the Argyle line to deliver a £32m investment in repairing and renewing tunnels, bridges and tracks between Rutherglen and Exhibition Centre.
While the Argyle line re-opens when normal services resume on May 8, trains will not stop at Anderston until June 5.

Network Rail say that extending the closure of Anderston allows most of their critical work on the entrance, booking office, concourse and platforms to be finished earlier and reduces the overall time taken to renovate the station by 12 weeks, completing in the autumn instead of by December 2022.

A reasonable thing to do imo as Anderston station really is in one hell of a state.

Peter0124

Established Member
Normal service resumes May 8th

Anderston station is to stay closed until June.

A reasonable thing to do imo as Anderston station really is in one hell of a state.
They have an illustration on that article of what Anderston will look like after the refurbishment, basically the same as Central though I wish it was less grey.

AndrewE

Established Member
I do find the screens at Central Low Level to be absolutely horrific. They spend most of the time scrolling through safety information and summary of departures than actual departures.

Thameslink style ones would work better imo.
(referring to posts 47 and 48) but without local knowledge how does an arrow on the wall help you in any way at all? It's irrelevant, especially as it's odds-on that a train will keep going in the same direction as it was travelling when it arrived.
You need several good departure boards for each platform and (at least near the platform exit) one for departures from the whole of the station. Agree far too much time is wasted on "see it say it sorted" stuff.

Davester50

without local knowledge how does an arrow on the wall help you in any way at all?
Have to agree with that. A large map of stops on each side is much more useful, along with the West/Eastbound signs. The direction of travel arrows don't really aid navigation.

Mrwerdna1

With the Argyle line reopening on Monday, I'd like to ask if anyone here knows whether Argyle Street or Glasgow Central Low Level will also have been refurbished . It seems to me that only Anderston will have undergone gone major work in the last few months, with Glasgow Central presumably following at a later date and Argyle Street maybe, maybe not at an even later date still. Otherwise there would have been talk about Glasgow Central Low Level having undergone refurbishment also.

Peter0124

Established Member
With the Argyle line reopening on Monday, I'd like to ask if anyone here knows whether Argyle Street or Glasgow Central Low Level will also have been refurbished . It seems to me that only Anderston will have undergone gone major work in the last few months, with Glasgow Central presumably following at a later date and Argyle Street maybe, maybe not at an even later date still.
I'm unsure, though I'd hazard a guess that the panels on Argyle St and Anderston walls have been painted white to match that of Central done 7 years ago, and probably given them 'Good move' signs aswell which I dislike. I would prefer Zone markings on the platform to indicate where the train doors open, like at St Pancras Low Level rather than them signs. And also would be good if the floor was redone aswell.

I would also like to know why the 3 car stop sign at Argyle Street (heading east) is at the Bridgeton end of the platform (where the 6 cars stop) and not in the middle like it used to be, is it caused by signal sighting issues or a broken DOO monitor?

And also in my opinion I would like to see the old announcer come back (the one in 2019), I really dislike the current one.

Last edited:

JModulo

I'm unsure, though I'd hazard a guess that the panels on Argyle St and Anderston walls have been painted white to match that of Central done 7 years ago, and probably given them 'Good move' signs aswell which I dislike. I would prefer Zone markings on the platform to indicate where the train doors open, like at St Pancras Low Level rather than them signs. And also would be good if the floor was redone aswell.

I would also like to know why the 3 car stop sign at Argyle Street (heading east) is at the Bridgeton end of the platform (where the 6 cars stop) and not in the middle like it used to be, is it caused by signal sighting issues or a broken DOO monitor?

And also in my opinion I would like to see the old announcer come back (the one in 2019), I really dislike the current one.
DOO monitor, which has been broken for some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.