• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow flexi-ticket to use across different bus companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Willbe interesting to hear of price and its geographical limits . McGills domt even accept the daytripper !

radamfi

Established Member
Still rubbish, even compared to English PTEs where day tickets cover all operators, not just selected operators. It won't cover single journeys involving a change of bus, even when both buses are run by the same operator.

No doubt it will cost more than single operator day tickets just like in other PTE areas.

New technology is not necessary for integrated ticketing. Integrated ticketing has existed outside Britain for decades using low technology paper.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
There really is no need for this really. What needs to happen is a complete overhaul of SPT's Zonecard. That already offers multi operator travel but is notoriously outdated and complex.

ChathillMan

Has anyone seen the price of a Zonecard? £68.10 all zones for one week.

Compared to £37.40 on Merseyside
£36.30 in GMPTE land (Not all Trams)
£28.00 in Tyne and Wear
£31.50 in Brum

Even a 7 day zone 1-6 London Travelcard costs LESS than the all zone Zonecard in SPT.

I know geography and population are a factor, but SPT products are eyewatering

route101

Established Member
Has anyone seen the price of a Zonecard? £68.10 all zones for one week.

Compared to £37.40 on Merseyside
£36.30 in GMPTE land (Not all Trams)
£28.00 in Tyne and Wear
£31.50 in Brum

Even a 7 day zone 1-6 London Travelcard costs LESS than the all zone Zonecard in SPT.

I know geography and population are a factor, but SPT products are eyewatering

Yes its dear but only people who buy it are people needing it for 2 forms of transport , most people buy the cheaper first bus pass or equiv or train season . There should just be one ticket but not at zonecard prices . The day ticket or daytripper is a one of them scratchcard things , really useful for the barriers .

radamfi

Established Member
I know geography and population are a factor

It is the main factor. Ayr to Glasgow, for example, is 41 miles. A seven day train only season ticket between Ayr and Glasgow is £59.20. So the Zonecard has to cost at least that.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
It would be good for users of the Zonecard if they could get their prices reduced if they forfeit the Subway portion of it if they never use the Subway.

SPT unfortunately are stuck in doldrums and don't seem to be moving with the times very well...

route101

Established Member
Will be interesting to see the prices and the range of the ticket .

overthewater

Established Member
On McGills, I have been told this evening, that it will be valid on their zone 1.

Thomas.

Which is £18 a week

gozone1_2016%201.png

Volvodart

Established Member
The above website now has the details. Only an adult day ticket is currently available (£5). You will also neeed to pay £1.75 for the card, first time.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
And look whos running the scheme:

WRITE TO US:
Glasgow Tripper Customer Services, c/o McGill's, Old Greenock Road, Inchinnan, PA4 9PG

Also Why is Whitelaws in the scheme when none of its Buses are really into expect for a very short journey around EK

xIaAHtl.jpg

route101

Established Member
And look whos running the scheme:

Also Why is Whitelaws in the scheme when none of its Buses are really into expect for a very short journey around EK

xIaAHtl.jpg
Yet McGills refuse the use of the daytripper !
Funny how whitelaws are involved , might be links to Hospital and EK village

d1672

Glasgow Tripper is issued on a smartcard and you have to send a photograph with your application.

xIaAHtl.jpg
[/QUOTE]

KGGXXXY

Why cant it just be issued as a ticket ?
I don't see why a paper ticket couldn't be printed. If the card could be topped up online or was an app I could see it taking off. But can you imagine going onto a first bus placing this on the machine then asking to paying by contactless, Hardly speedy!

d1672

I don't see why a paper ticket couldn't be printed. If the card could be topped up online or was an app I could see it taking off. But can you imagine going onto a first bus placing this on the machine then asking to paying by contactless, Hardly speedy!

I applied for my smart card on 01/12/2017. I am still waiting for it, and this is 19/12/2017.

Volvodart

Established Member
They are offering the "first 1,000" cards for free now, perhaps the take up has been less than they hoped for.

Last edited:

Volvodart

Established Member
Not that you would know from the publicity, but you cannot yet load day tickets onto the card with Stagecoach!

d1672

I applied for my smart card on 01/12/2017. I am still waiting for it, and this is 19/12/2017.
It arrived this morning. I somehow get the feeling that this may not be the success that the operators want. Why have a photocard for a day ticket ? Seems a bit strange. I will see what happens tomorrow when I use my ticket for the first time.

d1672

It arrived this morning. I somehow get the feeling that this may not be the success that the operators want. Why have a photocard for a day ticket ? Seems a bit strange. I will see what happens tomorrow when I use my ticket for the first time.
Hi,
I used my Glasgow Tripper Card today. I made 17 journeys in total with, First, McGills, Stagecoach and Glasgow Citybus. I bought 3 tickets, so I still have 2 stored on the card. There were no problems with the card working and no driver problems either. I had a very good day.

Thomas

route101

Established Member
Hi,
I used my Glasgow Tripper Card today. I made 17 journeys in total with, First, McGills, Stagecoach and Glasgow Citybus. I bought 3 tickets, so I still have 2 stored on the card. There were no problems with the card working and no driver problems either. I had a very good day.

Thomas
Surprising though many drivers i think will not notice on the new ticket machines when you have to scan it . Id be surprised if they even got 1000 people applying . Still think a paper ticket option should be offered .

d1672

Surprising though many drivers i think will not notice on the new ticket machines when you have to scan it . Id be surprised if they even got 1000 people applying . Still think a paper ticket option should be offered .
When the ticket is loaded onto the smartcard, you get a paper receipt. I loaded 3 tickets on to my smartcard and got 3 paper printed receipts.

Thomas

route101

Established Member
When the ticket is loaded onto the smartcard, you get a paper receipt. I loaded 3 tickets on to my smartcard and got 3 paper printed receipts.

Thomas
Yeah but i feel this ticket should be offered without a smartcard . Simply ask the driver for the ticket .

laseandre

Established Member
Yeah but i feel this ticket should be offered without a smartcard . Simply ask the driver for the ticket .
The whole point of issuing smartcards is to save on paper waste from god knows how many thousands of paper tickets issued every day...

My main concern is that this is now the 3rd different transport smartcard to be launched in Glasgow... At least the other 2 (Scotrail and Glasgow Subway) actually work with each other's tickets, unlike this. Methinks McGills really just want to keep on their petty dispute with SPT to the detriment of customers.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
McGill's will quite happily hoover up the SPT contracts but yet they refuse to accept the Discovery ticket that SPT offer. Unfortunately, now that contactless is available on First Glasgow and hopefully Stagecoach in the future, there will be no need for me to buy this ticket. Can't remember that last time I used McGill's as their prices are verging on extortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.