• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thanks for the pics @scotraildriver

Is it just me or does the internal finish at the entrance/stairs/ramp in that picture look absolutely appalling? Apologies if it's unfinished and work is still be done (I hope so!)

scotraildriver

Established Member
Thanks for the pics @scotraildriver

Is it just me or does the internal finish at the entrance/stairs/ramp in that picture look absolutely appalling? Apologies if it's unfinished and work is still be done (I hope so!)
It's not finished. The red bit is just plywood with a bit of matting on top, it's bouncier than a trampoline!

scotraildriver

Established Member
Groundwork, bollards and surfacing completed at North Hanover St. Just new signage to install and these areas will be finished.
IMG_20200613_120005.jpgIMG_20200613_120000.jpgIMG_20200613_120414.jpg

gsnedders

Established Member
Holy cow! Truly, a lot has happened since I was last in Glasgow! I definitely wasn't expecting Dundas St to look anywhere near so close to finished so soon, especially under the circumstances!

scotraildriver

Established Member
The second (original) North Hanover St entrance has reopened today, along with the low level gateline
IMG_20200615_135345.jpgIMG_20200615_135303.jpg

scotraildriver

Established Member
Has the main entrance facing George Square opened yet?
No. Only works to increase the space inside the station to allow social distancing are taking place at the moment. Removal of hoardings and opening up as much space as possible.

ScottDarg

Pics from today.

All of the external cladding visible from street level looks to be more or less complete. Inside it looks like most of the remaining cladding work is centred around the extreme ends of the station at North Hannover St and Dundas St.

Hard to see what progress has been made on the George Sq entrance or the new ticket office / waiting area. Also near impossible to see progress on the new staff area, but there were people working on it.

20200716_133456.jpg
20200716_133545.jpg
20200716_133643.jpg
20200715_133910.jpg
20200716_133755.jpg

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Haven’t been there for months, but there was enough room for a fire exit passageway. It’a in one of my Updates – I’ll find chapter and verse and post that shortly.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Haven’t been there for months, but there was enough room for a fire exit passageway. It’a in one of my Updates – I’ll find chapter and verse and post that shortly.
Thanks in advance, I’m fairly sure the demolished building was very close - were they linked internally?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Thanks in advance, I’m fairly sure the demolished building was very close - were they linked internally?

The excrescence that was the Millennium Hotel extension was linked to the hotel at about 2nd floor level (there being no ground or 1st floor levels in the extension which was out on stilts in front of the station).

Last edited:

och aye

Hopefully it looks like the station will be finished fairly soon, by the end of next month even? :)

InOban

Established Member
Am I right that there's a lift to go in within the George Square entrance?

ScottDarg

Am I right that there's a lift to go in within the George Square entrance?

Yeah - it'll be on the left side of the entrance as you look in from George Sq

What I'm just noticing is that they've removed the Queen St sign that was fitted above the entrance that sits on the corner with West George St / Dundas St. It was there Yesterday so was evidently done overnight - presumably prep for adding the permanent cladding to the canopy?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding the cladding that has been installed, have any tests or checks been made to make sure that the cladding is fire safe?

Whenever cladding is mentioned, the first thing I think of is the Grenfel Tower fire a few years ago, and the there would be reviews into the types of cladding that are used.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Regarding the cladding that has been installed, have any tests or checks been made to make sure that the cladding is fire safe?

Whenever cladding is mentioned, the first thing I think of is the Grenfel Tower fire a few years ago, and the there would be reviews into the types of cladding that are used.
From looking at the piles of cladding on site it appears to just be metal sheets with holes in them. There doesn't appear to be any other material or insulation properties within the panel, they are simply thin metal.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

There is zero chance of any material being used in the construction / upgrading of a station not having been tested to the latest applicable fire standards.

ScottDarg

The twitter feed has helpfully posted a poc that lets us have a look at the George Sq entrance:
‍♀‍♂ We're making good progress on our new George Square entrance. We'll share more progress pics as our work hard to complete the reconstruction of #GQS @ScotRail @NetworkRailSCOT https://t.co/cZfgXpvrT8
20200717_134517.jpg

Additionally; as I assumed Yesterday some cladding has now appeared on the canopy above the West George St / Dundas St corner entrance. Same style as that on the George Sq entrance and wiring in place for the lights

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.