• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Network Rail tweeted this image of Dundas Lane this morning. Looking good!

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailGQS/status/1291642231497953281

EernahCWoAADcgH

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Voyager lad

Whilst in the station earlier this week, I noticed a sign for the first class lounge by the ticket office. Is this going to be on the ground floor squeezed in between the standard waiting room and ticket office, or will it be above them?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I really don’t know, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if those who are tasked with building it haven’t been told yet. :lol:

ScottDarg

Last week the Twitter account mentioned the ticket machines being moved to their final locations so I went and had a nosey today.
  1. The travel shop is now open for self service tickets. Also a couple more under the alphabetical destination screens next to (currently empty) spaces for ATMs
  2. Some new things attached to the frontage of the station - presumably upward facing spotlights?
  3. Some Gaelic stickers and a ScotRail sticker now added to the West George st entrance. Didn't see them at any other entrance
On the George Square entrance they had some machines pouring tarmac and workers compacting it today. Traffic lights also now in their positions. Looking like it should open imminently.

Pics:
20200811_122138.jpg
20200811_122153.jpg
20200811_122733.jpg
20200811_122758.jpg

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Friday is the target date for the George Square entrance but if it is all ready sooner then it might open earlier. Not sure that includes the lift though.

Last edited:

Tobberz

Sorry if I've missed this, but why is it called a "Travel Shop" not a "Ticket Office" as one might expect?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Has the tarmac flooring in the main concourse been replaced by the marble now or is it still the same?

Glad to see that the building is really in it's final touches now. Will there be a first class lounge too?

InOban

Established Member
I would hope that it isn't marble. The last thing a station needs is more hard, sound-reflecting surfaces to make announcements unintelligible.

Voyager lad

Has the tarmac flooring in the main concourse been replaced by the marble now or is it still the same?

Glad to see that the building is really in it's final touches now. Will there be a first class lounge too?
When I was in the station last week, there was a sign for the first class lounge adjacent to the sign for the cash machines and tickets. However it seems to have been removed/ covered up based on photos above.B06ECC4D-53EF-4F59-90F7-7320360C2075.jpeg

haggishunter

I'd just like somewhere that sells a coffee.

I noticed on Sunday evening that the ScotRail Coffee Carts had disappeared, is that linked to the moving of the ticket machines and will they reappear at some point or is that them gone for good.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Anyone passing through today – does the George Square entrance look like it might be ready to open? I haven’t been there for a week.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Another change since yesterday is the reopening of both lanes of traffic along the front of the station.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Thanks very much for that information, scotraildriver. Understandably NetworkRail and ScotRail don’t appear to be sharing non essential updates at the moment. Perhaps after Wednesday morning and if the weather situation improves we’ll hear more, but progress at Queen Street must be quite far down the list of priorities for rail employees at the moment.

ScottDarg

Had a look on my usual lunchtime walk today.

The pavement on the station side of West George St is still closed and the road was back down to 1 lane for what looked like drainage work (suction excavation?).

Lift at the George Sq entrance is in use and the stairs down to the toilets/left luggage area was open.

With most of the concourse hoardings now down you get a better idea of the circulation space available.

The protective wrapping has been removed from the George Sq entrance signage but still on the West George St and Dundas St signs.

The entrance to the low level platforms on the left as you enter from Dundas St entrance is also taking shape. No images though

Really does feel like we're into the final stages now.
20200817_162551.jpg
20200817_162303.jpg
20200817_162252.jpg
20200817_162226.jpg
20200817_162154.jpg
20200817_162038.jpg

Scotrail88

Certainly nearing completion!
Just wish they would announce platforms with more notice.

In fairness, it’s improved on the GLQ-EDIN post electrification but the Anniesland and other central Scotland services could be ready for boarding a lot earlier.

Fair enough about longer distance but that would help with keeping the concourse clear as much as possible.

Speed43125

They are going to be doing something about the floor right? It can't possibly be planned to leave it as dusty concrete.

takno

Established Member
I thought on Network Rail stations there is no charge for toilets now so why is there barriers on the loo?
I was thinking the same thing. I believe Queen Street is Scotrail-managed so the Network Rail decision doesn't apply, but it still seems a bit cheap and nasty

Status
Not open for further replies.