• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Subway new stock

py_megapixel

Established Member
I took it to be a warning to those standing at the doors that they were opening (as the side that opens isn’t always the same). Perhaps they’ll speed it up with increased usage?
Was that something that was causing issues on the old stock?

It does seem that it would be a good idea to speed it up - it seems to extend dwell times significantly and I can imagine it causing annoyance to passengers if e.g. they're running for a connection and have to stand around at the doors for no obvious reason while it beeps at them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buzby

I think the G2 stock pre-dated all this apparent need to underline supposed safety issues - I don’t think there were warning signs on the G1 stock that your fingers might get caught in the trellis gates….

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpeg
    IMG_0159.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 126

Rory N

I know this thread gets a bit repetitive but are there any new units out today just because I have got free time but I don’t know if there is any out because it is a public holiday in Scotland.

Buzby

For that very reason, it’s never a ‘full’ service on a public holiday so it would be highly unlikely - also the increased fares come into force today!

trei2k

I think the honest answer is we don't know.

SPT are so slow at anything they do. Every single project they seem to be involved with takes a disproportionate amount of time!

jagardner1984

Given the news article announcing the project being funded was in April 2010, the first set delivered close to 5 years ago in May 2019, and the majority of the trains are not in the country yet let along completed Fault free running, there are still platform monitors missing from an entire circle and platform door structures still to go in - never previously implemented in the UK on existing infrastructure, the tolerances for ATO are incredibly tight, I’d say the full UTO implementation is still some way away. Perhaps the “modernisation programme” which has left much of the network looking like a building site covered in green netting for, in some cases, over a decade, will have its 20 year birthday before final completion ?

I look forward to being wrong, but I’ll be surprised if the new stock is still operating in 45 years time.

Travelmonkey

Is the introduction of the new Stadler units proving to be problematic or straightforward? As I have not heard of any major reliability hinderment.
Slightly problematic for me only saw the new ones in the sidings adjacent the Ibrox football ground, did want one in service but sadly none were running Fri & Sat.

Are the units back out in afternoons again?
Still just outer about 2-4?
I did wonder if they were the reason for the signal failure suspending both circles on Friday,

InOban

Established Member
Are they still only running M-F, middle of the day, outer circle only?

trei2k

I had a new unit at around 09:45 yesterday (Friday) on the Outer Circle.

The first time I have caught a new unit in the morning.

youngac

I notice unit 303 has been in service over the last week, meaning that at least 3 of the new stock (302, 303 and 306) have now entered passenger service.

jagardner1984

I hope they are have plans to accelerate the role out soon, it's taking a while
Even assuming 100% reliability (which would be a first for a train fleet) - they need 12 service units to deliver the existing peak service, and more to deliver the discussed surge service when UTO is implemented. With platform edge doors etc still to go in and a full resignal to complete, the completion of the 2010 modernisation programme is still some years away IMHO.

Buzby

Can't see in due to condensation
This is odd - it happened on the first day of public service but it was (1) cold up top in December and the set had just entered the warm tunnels. But today? Not freezing. I was told (2) the aircon needed adjusting - but that was 6 weeks ago!

The SPT are a public body and as such they publish their meeting minutes online (PDF). The last partnership meeting was last month and section 6 deals with the the Subway Modernisation programme. The minute also links to a more detailed report from the Project Delivery team.

"After considerable discussion and having heard from Mrs Davidson, Mr Robinson and Mr Wylie in response to members’ questions, specifically relating to:
(i) the aspirations of longer operational hours and the difficulty of achieving this prior to completion of physical works;
(ii) confirmation that such aspirations were being built into the assumed operational model; and
(iii) the spend profile to date and that remaining for the remainder of the programme"

"3.6 Vehicle handover and new fleet introduction
Once each vehicle has completed its respective Fault Free Running phase, each train then undergoes a thorough final inspection by SPT and any issues identified are rectified by ANSTA before each vehicle is formally handed over to SPT. At the current time it is expected that the first two trains will be ready to be handed over to SPT at start of December 2023. It is expected that the remaining trains will be handed over sequentially between December 2023 and mid-2024."

Buzby

So they’ve got 5 months to get ALL the remaining sets through the Fault Free Running Phase (less the 3 already in service)? I don’t see that happening.

Buzby

17 sets, they are all built with 15 delivered to Govan.
One would have thought they would have been evident at the Broomloan Depot but whilst I was awaiting the first public running I had 4 hours to kill, so walked round the entire yard’s perimeter fence - which took 2 hours. Nothing was seen - And even if the first 2 car sets were in the sheds, the remaining 13 were invisible. I wonder where they’re being stored, ‘cos it can’t be there! Here’s some pix I took that day. The concrete wall You see in the foreground of the first picture is the access ramp down to the tunnels.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.jpeg
    IMG_0690.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0692.jpeg
    IMG_0692.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 123

Blindtraveler

Established Member
So if they want the rollout complete by The summer they have to basically be approving roughly two trains a month into traffic. Doesn't sound unachievable but I don't know how their accumulating the fault free running, I assume at night which can't work particularly well for engineering possessions surely

InOban

Established Member
One would have thought they would have been evident at the Broomloan Depot but whilst I was awaiting the first public running I had 4 hours to kill, so walked round the entire yard’s perimeter fence - which took 2 hours. Nothing was seen - And even if the first 2 car sets were in the sheds, the remaining 13 were invisible. I wonder where they’re being stored, ‘cos it can’t be there! Here’s some pix I took that day. The concrete wall You see in the foreground of the first picture is the access ramp down to the tunnels.
I was looking on Google maps and followed the tracks SW from Broomloan depot under Edmiston Drive to where they terminate just short of the lines out of Central. It seems that's where the new stock is hiding!

Buzby

Ah thanks - I crossed the Edmiston Drive over bridge (looking north - that second picture) and never thought that further south there’d be car sheds! That’ll teach me!

cakefiend

The new trains are stored right where you took that second photo, on the other side of the road.

Buzby

The new trains are stored right where you took that second photo, on the other side of the road.
Yes, As @InOban pointed out - it was a busy dual carriageway and I was heading to McD’s for a coffee - as all the tracks had been progressively getting reduced in the cutting - I hadn’t thought they’d actually sneak a couple through! :D

EMU303

Have these car sheds always been there or were they built specifically to temporarily house the new trains?