• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Subway new stock

Buzby

The last time I was there the tracks did not go under Edmiston Drive. With no space within the Broomloan complex, they made good use of the old track of the Govan Branch of Glasgow & Paisley Joint Railway. Don’t know if the new buildings will be ‘temporary’. Especially it’ll cost even more to move it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
306 is currently in service. Appears to have entered service about an hour ago.

Edit: 303 is also out.

Last edited:

Buzby

I’ve not heard of them showing up at any other time - currently only the M-F back shift drivers get to have a go on them!

DanNCL

Established Member
I tried just after 1400 and couldn’t find one. Tried again at 1500 and came across them within a few minutes. As with previous days they were on consecutive workings, 303 first followed by 306.
Not terribly helpful that they were both taken out of service at Ibrox at the same time too so there was about a 15 minute gap in service between Ibrox and Govan on the outer when that happened around 1630.

Post #287 suggests they’ve also been running late morning. I wasn’t on the Subway this morning so don’t know if that was the case today or not.

It seems like the condensation issue has been resolved too, neither of todays units had any visible condensation.

Internally 306 had some SPT posters on the advertising card slots, whilst on 303 the slots were empty.

Buzby

There will always be two running together on the Outer - primarily because the couplers are different between G2 and G3 stock. If there’s an unexpected failure on the G3, the leading (or following) car set can couple up and push/pull it back to the depot. It’ll be too risky to mix them in service.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I presume the next step will be for the new stock to work more services (i.e. staying out all day) on the outer line, with the older stock on the inner line?

DanNCL

Established Member
302 and 303 are both in service currently. 303 first, 302 running 4 minutes behind.

There will always be two running together on the Outer - primarily because the couplers are different between G2 and G3 stock. If there’s an unexpected failure on the G3, the leading (or following) car set can couple up and push/pull it back to the depot. It’ll be too risky to mix them in service.
I did wonder if that was why.

Do they have any emergency coupler adaptors?

Buzby

No
Do they have any emergency coupler adaptors?
No way of actually speaking to those who would know.

Since they plan to retire G2 progressively this year, it may be a needless expense - but as you cannot see into the dark-tinted cab area, it’s impossible to discern if this is available for emergency use.

The fact they run in tandem would suggest they don’t!

GLC

I’m getting adverts for the 2024 stock on Instagram now!

Attachments

• IMG_7653.png
    IMG_7653.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 88

jagardner1984

I’m getting adverts for the 2024 stock on Instagram now!
Interestingly much of the response to such posts are along the lines of "are we being gaslit" - since i think many would believe "Your new fleet is here" would imply there is some prospect of regular commuters experiencing them, rather than forum whispers of an hour on a Tuesday afternoon.

To be honest, many fellow travellers roll their eyes at each new breakdown, the regular 8 minutes gaps in the peak 4 minute service, the stations, which the latest SPT minutes were declared to be broadly completed, still covered in temporary netting. I suspect it will come as something of a (nice) surprise when the new stock is forming the full service on a circle, or even more prolonged running. Many do not believe them to be real !

It is extraordinary this 14 year old project has not received more scrutiny - it is ripe for an Al Dalton expose ....

DanNCL

Established Member
At some point in the last week 301 has entered service, and use of the new stock on the Inner Circle has began.

Units to have worked in service are now 301/302/303/306.

jagardner1984

Saw a unit out and about today for the first time. As anyone who has seen any of the G2 stock lately will attest - I think it is fair to say in 125 year old tunnels with considerable filth and water ingress, the choice of white as the primary colour on the G3 units is what Sir Humphrey might have called a “courageous decision.” :lol:

VioletEclipse

Saw a unit out and about today for the first time. As anyone who has seen any of the G2 stock lately will attest - I think it is fair to say in 125 year old tunnels with considerable filth and water ingress, the choice of white as the primary colour on the G3 units is what Sir Humphrey might have called a “courageous decision.” :lol:
that's something I was thinking as well! Orange as the main body colour of the G2 stock may be considered a bit old-fashioned with white being more in style currently, however the orange doesn't show the grime as badly as I expect the white will, that's unless they start thoroughly cleaning each unit each night!

DanNCL

Established Member
that's something I was thinking as well! Orange as the main body colour of the G2 stock may be considered a bit old-fashioned with white being more in style currently, however the orange doesn't show the grime as badly as I expect the white will, that's unless they start thoroughly cleaning each unit each night!
Indeed, can’t help wondering if they’ll eventually end up inverting the colour scheme on the new stock, changing it to Orange with White doors from the current White with Orange doors.

MF gorm

The G2 stock didn't last long in the original livery before they acquired a dark roof. Brown shortly changed to black.

Skymonster

Established Member
Three new units - 301(inner), 302(outer) and 303(outer) - running in public service this afternoon (none this morning). Having sampled them all - alongside the older stock of course - to me the new units seem vastly superior in terms of ambiance, climate, internal noise and ride.

InOban

Established Member
I thought they always ran two on each circle in case one needed to rescue the other - the old stock can't rescue the new. I'm surprised that they aren't running more by now.

Skymonster

Established Member
Are you sure you didn’t miss 306 on the inner? They hunt in packs of two….
Fairly, but it may have retired early. Interestingly (and contrary to what I expected) 302 and 303 weren’t running following each other, as there was at least one old stock unit between the two.

I thought they always ran two on each circle in case one needed to rescue the other - the old stock can't rescue the new. I'm surprised that they aren't running more by now.
Definitely not running in pairs - 302 and 303 were separated by at least one older unit.

InOban

Established Member
They must be confident of the reliability of the new units, which is good to see

trei2k

They don't seem to be in a rush to introduce these new units. Many of my trips recently have just been the older stock.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They don't seem to be in a rush to introduce these new units. Many of my trips recently have just been the older stock.
Strange, as there's usually 2-4 units out per day now in my experience.

Certainly, staff said an increase in new units was coming this Wednesday - with the Stadlers running out from start of service now, instead of more limited times.