• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Subway new stock

trei2k

Strange, as there's usually 2-4 units out per day now in my experience.

Certainly, staff said an increase in new units was coming this Wednesday - with the Stadlers running out from start of service now, instead of more limited times.

Maybe I have just been unfortunate with timings. They've all been week days at very mixed times morning, afternoon and early evening. However, the news of them running from the start of service is good!

I wonder if the increased number of units in the depot is causing issues with exterior cleaning and such? Some of the older stock are now quite filthy on the outside, particularly the top of them, in a way that was never really the case in the past.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Maybe I have just been unfortunate with timings. They've all been week days at very mixed times morning, afternoon and early evening. However, the news of them running from the start of service is good!
That's exactly how it felt for me back in December - never lucky with timing!

Skymonster

Established Member
A few images of the new stock photographed on 6th March 2024. Three units (301, 302 and 303) in service during the afternoon plus 311, 313, 315 and two others [anon] on the Stadler depot near Ibrox stadium.

71C82D9F-9D12-4215-B411-9702B231B85E.jpegE7EDEAE5-BBB5-4FE4-9CE1-2BAF8247CE30.jpeg826CC2FB-66D0-4504-90CF-6D751B11591F.jpeg9B7BA79D-85D2-4D6E-BFF6-CC4C58FA4BE6.jpeg1D42CDE3-83A2-4703-9E97-44715B27546F.jpeg9F072A30-DE70-4EB2-815D-013B5D2F4E28.jpegC0822C95-3012-45B7-80F7-32EBFACE1C96.jpeg95322F9B-68E6-4CE5-8B7D-C93ED0705B06.jpegB0BBF820-27B9-4914-BCF3-22C4E02848A1.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Does anyone know if it’s still only weekdays (and if so, when this is likely to change?)

Basil Jet

On Moderation
What are the weird longitudinal smears on the roof of the cab? They are clearest in the first picture and the third-from-last one.

Skymonster

Established Member
What are the weird longitudinal smears on the roof of the cab? They are clearest in the first picture and the third-from-last one.
These new units are going to get a bit dirty pretty quickly - outside in the weather at the depot, then streaked with moisture in the tunnels. You should see some of the old units - they’re filthy on the front ends.

Supplementary question: does anyone know whether all of the new units are now in Glasgow? I noted 311, 313 and 315 beside the depot (numbers on a sticker in the windows), 301/302/303 were in service, 306 has been noted operating, and there were also two unmarked on the depot - the one in pic 5 above had “Stadler” below the cabs whereas the others do not, and all of those stabled at Ibrox lacked SPT logos and side/end numbers. While there would undoubtedly be others inside the Stadler depot it isn’t big enough for them all. Maybe there are more in the city but some have transferred up to Broomlan?

Last edited:

Northerngirl

Is there a best time/day to get to see one, I'm heading to Glasgow sometime next month and I'd like to see what they're like

Should be all day now.
I was on one of them yesterday (Thursday) after 5pm at Buchanan street for rangers game against benfica. Smooth and much better headroom compared to the old stock which i returned on one after the rangers game. Do the new stock have PIS or not?

Mothball

Posted on a Facebook group from a source at SPT, 115, 127 and 131 all out of service since various points of 2023 with faults won't be repaired "as the new fleet has taken there place". I'd imagine following withdrawals will be based on repairs required.

jagardner1984

Posted on a Facebook group from a source at SPT, 115, 127 and 131 all out of service since various points of 2023 with faults won't be repaired "as the new fleet has taken there place". I'd imagine following withdrawals will be based on repairs required.

I think most regular users of the subway would be surprised to know it was only 3 that were irrepairably faulty !

Credit where it is due to the maintenance staff though for keeping it all going well, well past its sell by date - I wonder whether the same proportion (33+8 = 41 Cars Built, 36 in Daily Service until very recently) of the Stadler stock will be in regular service in 16041 Days from Now (the number of days to today since the G2 Stock entered service in 1980). Namely

Wednesday 15th February 2068 !

50002Superb

Thanks, that’s good to know as I still needed 115 and 127 for sight.

Once they are out of service are they being stored at Broomloan depot?

I assume they need the space so will need to go for scrap relatively quickly.

Turtle

A few images of the new stock photographed on 6th March 2024. Three units (301, 302 and 303) in service during the afternoon plus 311, 313, 315 and two others [anon] on the Stadler depot near Ibrox stadium.

View attachment 154170View attachment 154171View attachment 154172View attachment 154173View attachment 154174View attachment 154176View attachment 154180View attachment 154181View attachment 154193
Seeing these pictures reminded me of something I've never been able to clarify. Is there any reason why the Subway rail gauge could not have been changed to standard during one or other of its upgrades. I appreciate that the loading gauge would remain unchanged.

These new units are going to get a bit dirty pretty quickly - outside in the weather at the depot, then streaked with moisture in the tunnels. You should see some of the old units - they’re filthy on the front ends.

Supplementary question: does anyone know whether all of the new units are now in Glasgow? I noted 311, 313 and 315 beside the depot (numbers on a sticker in the windows), 301/302/303 were in service, 306 has been noted operating, and there were also two unmarked on the depot - the one in pic 5 above had “Stadler” below the cabs whereas the others do not, and all of those stabled at Ibrox lacked SPT logos and side/end numbers. While there would undoubtedly be others inside the Stadler depot it isn’t big enough for them all. Maybe there are more in the city but some have transferred up to Broomlan?

15 in Glasgow, 2 to be sent from the Stadler factory once there is space in the depot

Strathclyder

Established Member
Seeing these pictures reminded me of something I've never been able to clarify. Is there any reason why the Subway rail gauge could not have been changed to standard during one or other of its upgrades. I appreciate that the loading gauge would remain unchanged.
Cost grounds, especially in the case of the 1977-80 refurbishment.

It was overall cheaper to retain and repair/refurbish/upgrade the tunnels and track gauge 'as they were', as conversion to standard gauge as per the Underground would've drove up the cost of the project significantly. Any attempt at widening the tunnels would've needed to account for the material the tunnels were originally driven through (not ideal for tunnelling overall, to say nothing of the materials where the line passes under the Rivers Clyde & Kelvin) and foundations of surrounding buildings (this is why Argyle Street mainline station is such a accessibilty headache, as one other local example).

Last edited:

banburybob

114, 131, 123 and another are stored at the new temp depot and 102 was being shunted down by L7 at midday wen I was there..

Am Broc

I see that some of the old trains have come out of the tunnels and gone to the test track depot in Ibrox.

Oxalin

Sorry if its already been mentioned - I last track a few pages ago! Have the new trains started running at weekends yet or is it still just weekdays?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Perfect, thanks! I'm not planning a trip up there for nothing then.
They've been out early morning, late evening and if you look at post #348, you'll see confirmation units were out on both circles on Saturday there.

Definitely moved into general use now, though it's still likely you might need to hang about on a platform for one to appear, the Met-Camm units still outnumber them in day-to-day running for the present.

Buzby

Do we know if there have been much major in the way of teething issues with the stock during introduction?
I have serious doubts this would be in the public domain - the stakeholders (SPT, Transport Scotland and Stadler) would clearly be kept in the loop but it would be a really hot potato if there were negative issues affecting the purchase/service.

We’d be the last to know - unless someone breaks ranks And spills the beans. Unlike the ferries, this appears to have gone as expected, so fingers crossed for a smooth passage!

Just heard that SPT is donating one of the 2G car sets due to be retired shortly to Glasgow Museums. It will most likely to be going straight into storage at their Nitshill Resource Centre as there’s no space at Riverside. No idea which one will be the lucky set, or whether it’ll just be the leading car alone.

Attachments

• IMG_1180.jpeg
    IMG_1180.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 33
Last edited: