• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow to Aberdeen routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

trei2k

I might have to take a large number of trips between Glasgow Queen Street and Aberdeen in September.

I was wondering if someone with routing knowledge is able to advise what the standard valid routes that are available between the two stations? (Either for a season ticket or off-peak return).

Is there anything that I could do that would allow me to travel via Inverness or Edinburgh (if I felt like taking a trip there one day)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Tickets that will allow you travel via Inverness or Edinburgh are more expensive than tickets to Aberdeen.

Strangely enough, I can't find any options for seasons on brfares.com, but so far, the cheapest option I've found that will allow you this flexibility to travel either way is from Glasgow Central to Huntly at £61.60 for the SVR.

This is in comparison to £58.00 for an SVR from Glasgow to Aberdeen. Furthermore, GLC - ABD has seasons available at £181.50/week.

Please note that if you were travelling on a ticket to Huntly, but your ultimate destination was Aberdeen, you cannot travel via Inverness on the outward and return portions of your ticket. Ie: if you travel out via Edinburgh/Dundee, you can choose to return via EDB or you can travel onwards and return via INV. But if you travel out via INV the return journey must be made via Dundee, to prevent doubling back.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Glasgow - Aberdeen is valid via Edinburgh but not Inverness.

Glasgow - Inverness via any permitted is valid via Aberdeen.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Is this still the case? I was informed by bb21 (I think it was) in another thread that these had been axed the latest round of Routeing Guide changes.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Is this still the case? I was informed..... that these had been axed the latest round of Routeing Guide changes.

Don't worry too much about that - my routeing guide was issued in nineteen canteen and has not been updated since. Almost all guards operate on the "reasonable route" principle anyway.

See this post for our local routeing guide that is currently displayed on our commercial notice board.

E3191

If you are travelling after 09.15 and making more than one return journey per week your best bet may be a Freedom of Scotland Travelpass (£134 for 4 days in 8 or £179.70 for 8 in 15, but not before 09.15 M-F); then you won't have worry about routing!

Status
Not open for further replies.