• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GNER £5 tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

1D53

Established Member
From TRC:

GNER is launching a discounted ‘Devil Of An Offer’ that’s sure to be a ghoul’s best friend this Hallowe’en!

For one week only from Monday, 29 October to Sunday, 4 November, GNER is offering a special one-way Standard Advance fare, for just £5 for travel anywhere on the GNER route.

The discount deal can only be booked online via the GNER website at www.gner.co.uk for journeys made between 30 October and 27 January 2008, subject to availability. Over 100,000 tickets will be made available, creating great opportunities for short breaks, sightseeing and visiting family and friends.

The offer comes at a great time for travellers from Glasgow and Motherwell, as a full GNER service from both destinations is due to resume on Monday, 19 November with the completion of essential engineering works on the line between Motherwell and Edinburgh via Carstairs.

And for travellers looking to sink their teeth into something tasty this Hallowe’en, an exclusive voucher giving £1 off any purchase over £5 from GNER’s on-train catering service will be available only to those booking one of the cut-price fares.

Extra discounts will also be available on holidays with Superbreak and on dining at The Living Room restaurants in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, York, Leeds or London, for those booking tickets through GNER’s ‘Devil Of An Offer’ promotion.

GNER’s commercial director Michelle Drage said: “This is an unmissable chance for one week only to book a super bargain at a great time of year to visit the great destinations served by GNER. Whether it’s early Christmas shopping, sightseeing or catching up with friends and family, there are lots of reasons to go – and with GNER’s Devil of an Offer, no-one need be spooked by the cost!”

Full details and conditions of the ‘Devil of An Offer’ deal are available online at www.gner.co.uk.

Available already on tickets.gner.co.uk

0710 Leeds to Aberdeen (1304)
1451 Aberdeen to London Kings Cross (2225)
2330 London Kings Cross to Leeds (0235)
for £15? Yes please!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
You need to be using their new ticket engine first of all.

Try something in late Nov or Dec and there is some. There appears to only be tickets on direct routes as well. For example Leeds-London is fine but Huddersfield-London will throw a paddy.

Gizmogle

Established Member
For real? London to Aberdeen for £5?
Very tempting indeed!
How fast do you think tickets are gonna sell out?

1D53

Established Member
For real? London to Aberdeen for £5?
Very tempting indeed!
How fast do you think tickets are gonna sell out?

Well it was to be launched today but the fares have been available over the weekend so I reckon availability will go quickly.

I've got my Leeds - Aberdeen - London - Leeds run booked for 6th Dec!

1D53

Established Member
I've managed to find some again today. Remember its GNER only, no changes etc.

adambro

Might be useful to read this http://www.gner.co.uk/gner/seatsale/SeatSaleOct07.htm.

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Unfortunately, due to a technical issue we are currently only able to take bookings at least 7 days in advance of travel. This will be resolved by the morning of Thursday 1 November at which point you will be able to make a booking up to 18.00hrs the day before travel, subject to availability."

Could explain why some people aren't able to find these tickets.

Coxster

Established Member
Random image of the day:

GNERAdvertisingCampaign.jpg

Tom B

Established Member
But often pointless. The number of trains on which the staff can't be arsed to put out the reservation slips seems to be increasing.

Daniel

Established Member
Still, if the reservation label isn't up your within you right to throw a wobbly and get the TM involved if someone is in your seat and won't move...

Tom B

Established Member
If you can find the guard / train manager / customer service leader / whatever they're called this week. I was on a train on Sunday where two locked themselves in their vestibule at the end of Coach B and chatted for the whole journey - not answering the door to passengers.

Craig

Established Member
Still, if the reservation label isn't up your within you right to throw a wobbly and get the TM involved if someone is in your seat and won't move...

Do you really think throwing a wobbly at staff will get you anywhere? Do you enjoy abusing staff? At the end of the day, what when those people refuse to move, the TM can't physically move them and if there are no other seats available, first or standard? Most staff will tell you if you speak nicely to them they will do all they can to help you but if you throw a "wobbly" they will do far less. I thought you'd know that having done work experience and stolen a uniform.

I too have noticed an increase in this recently with GNER but whilst it may be frustrating the reservations are the property of the company and they have to the right to withdraw them at any time and not nescessarily declassify. In this instance your seat reservation is null and void.

Don't know about safety "breech", that would depend on what the customer's query is. Although at least not answering the door is a bit poor.

Tom B

Established Member
I think the people in question were trying to ask about refunds - they were off a train in front that had been chucked out at York. If it had been a case of something seriously being wrong, there's this fancy invention called the communication cord... or the emergency door handle if the conductor is required.

Daniel

Established Member
Craig, I meant at a passenger who refused to move. If you re-read my post you'll see I didn't say throw a wobbly at the staff members.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why throw a wobbly at anything?

To be fair, I'm sure you'd be slightly annoyed if someone was sat in your seat reservation on a completely wedged train.

The best way of dealing with the situation if the passenger refuses to move point blank is to find the train manager/conductor and ask him/her nicely to come and help. If you have a go at the passenger they can then play the card of 'oooo but he/she was really rude to me!'.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Wrong, wrong and wrong.

Firstly, if there are no reservation labels then that means exactly that - no reservation. End of.

Secondly, throwing a wobbly won't help.

And thirdly, why on earth should they move?

me123

Established Member
Actually, to be fair, it could e the case that the reservation could have been removed by the person in the chair in an attempt to get a seat. I've seen it happen.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Actually, to be fair, it could e the case that the reservation could have been removed by the person in the chair in an attempt to get a seat. I've seen it happen.
In that case, yes. But the scenario that was originally mentioned which Memorex replied to was staff not putting out reservation slips (which I think is more likely down to a fault rather than laziness).

me123

Established Member
Fair enough. I haven't seen staff be lazy before. But if I was the reservee, I would ask the "intruder" kindly to move seats and show him/her my reservation. Providing I have it on me (which I should do) then am I not entitled to the seat I may have paid extra money to reserve? (Of course, that argument doesn't apply to GNER but hopefully you get my drift?)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Fair enough. I haven't seen staff be lazy before. But if I was the reservee, I would ask the "intruder" kindly to move seats and show him/her my reservation. Providing I have it on me (which I should do) then am I not entitled to the seat I may have paid extra money to reserve? (Of course, that argument doesn't apply to GNER but hopefully you get my drift?)
No. If there are no reservations, then it means exactly that - there are no reservations and it's a free-for-all. Otherwise you end up with a situation where someone could end up being turfed out of their seat with no warning, which is not acceptable.

The only company that I am aware charges extra money for seats is FGW, in which case I am sure they'd refund you the cost. And this cost only applies if reserving after having already bought the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.