• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GNER at Inverness?

Zander trains

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
I was looking through my local stations when I seen a GNER train going from Inverness - Craigentinny under 5G13. Does anyone know what it’s doing and why it’s here? https://live.rail-record.co.uk/train.php/?c=44915&d=2024-02-05 here is says that it’s GNER but when I go to RTT it says it’s LNER so maybe it’s the LNER to London King’s Cross? https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:44915/2024-02-05/detailed

GNER hasn't existed for years. RTT claims it's pathed as a diesel locomotive and the daily LNER service to London leaves Inverness at 0755 (cancelled today anyway) so clearly it's not that.

mangyiscute

Established Member
All lines are shut from Perth to Inverness, hence the cancellation of the 07:55, so now LNER have a train sitting in Inverness so I guess this is to get the train back to Edinburgh where it is needed for this evening/tomorrow

sprinterguy

Established Member
The two letter operator code for the Intercity East Coast franchise has remained 'GR' since it was set up for GNER at the time of privatisation: Presumably Rail Record is just translating that into a stated operator incorrectly.

As the Inverness - London train was cancelled today, this'll probably be a path to get the unit back to Edinburgh to balance out the diagrams by end of day.

louis97

Established Member
GNER hasn't existed for years. RTT claims it's pathed as a diesel locomotive and the daily LNER service to London leaves Inverness at 0755 (cancelled today anyway) so clearly it's not that.
Given its a VSTP schedule I would not read anything into that. It likely is the stock from the cancelled 0755 departure heading south.

Zander trains

That’s why I was confused that it said GNER I probably could have worded it a bit better

leightonbd

All lines are shut from Perth to Inverness, hence the cancellation of the 07:55, so now LNER have a train sitting in Inverness so I guess this is to get the train back to Edinburgh where it is needed for this evening/tomorrow
ScotRail said the lines are closed due to flooding ‘between Inverness and Kingussie’ - which I read as being at the flat section just north of Kingussie where the fields often flood - in which case the stock won’t be able to move south.

Zander trains

ScotRail said the lines are closed due to flooding ‘between Inverness and Kingussie’ - which I read as being at the flat section just north of Kingussie where the fields often flood - in which case the stock won’t be able to move south.
It will be going to Edinburgh via Aberdeen

Rhysdabeast

Established Member
I imagine Rail Record shows that as being operated by GNER as the VSTP schedule hasn't got a TOC code attached to it so I imagine it will look at the Train Service Code instead and according to the list of Train Service Codes they have https://www.rail-record.co.uk/train-service-codes/, GNER is the operator associated with the Train Service Code on the VSTP schedule.

Crossover

Established Member
It’s just appeared now on RTT as LNER 800112
As expected, this is the unit which went north last night

As an aside, does anyone know if this is being driven by LNER drivers? From memory, the route via Keith was part of their route knowledge, although unsure if it is still the case

Tom

VSTP paths don't have train operators contained within them when they come from NR. They should be derived from the train service code - obviously different services will do this in different ways. RTT looks at the currently active service codes in schedules and pulls the operator code from those (and ZZ if it can't). Other services might just have an archived list - and of course this one is a hand me down from GNER days.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I probably could have worded it a bit better
As long as you didn't say "When I seen" again, as per the opening post ;)
But yes, it's actually quite widespread across the network. Avanti West Coast is "VT" and Greater Anglia is the rather obscure sounding "LE"

dk1

Veteran Member
As long as you didn't say "When I seen" again, as per the opening post ;)
But yes, it's actually quite widespread across the network. Avanti West Coast is "VT" and Greater Anglia is the rather obscure sounding "LE"
LE was ‘London Eastern Railway’ the trading name for National Express from 2004 when it took over the East Anglia franchise which amalgamated AR, GE & WA.

Established Member
As expected, this is the unit which went north last night

As an aside, does anyone know if this is being driven by LNER drivers? From memory, the route via Keith was part of their route knowledge, although unsure if it is still the case
Driven by an LNER driver who was route conducted by a Scotrail driver.

It was Gynack river at Kingussie, which had reached the red marker for safety and was in danger of coming over onto the train.

Class 170101

Established Member
Surprised given the northbound train is also cancelled that it wasn't just left at Inverness until the next southbound run.

Established Member
Surprised given the northbound train is also cancelled that it wasn't just left at Inverness until the next southbound run.
The unit stables in the station overnight, so if southbound cancelled that unit sits blocking a platform.

This morning was no guarantee that the line would reopen today with heavy rain all day in the Kinguissie area.

Best option to move the set to at least Edinburgh to start it from there in morning.

Last edited:

38Cto15E

Can The Highland Chieftain stock manage not re-fueling overnight at Inverness, I think it starts at Leeds, then Kings Cross to Inverness then Inverness to Kings Cross then? I guess Leeds.
I was on this train on the 18th January, there was plenty of snow at Kingussie. There is a photo in the latest Railway Magazine of the train at Blackford.

InOban

Established Member
Remember it's also a lodging turn for the crew who would be required further south

Established Member
Can The Highland Chieftain stock manage not re-fueling overnight at Inverness, I think it starts at Leeds, then Kings Cross to Inverness then Inverness to Kings Cross then? I guess Leeds.
I was on this train on the 18th January, there was plenty of snow at Kingussie. There is a photo in the latest Railway Magazine of the train at Blackford.
It obviously can manage not to be fuelled as that is what it does now.

It works Neville Hill to Harrogate, Harrogate to London and then London to Inverness.

Following day it’s Inverness to London, then ecs to Bounds Green for a short layover then back to Kings Cross, the London to Sunderland, finishing at Heaton.

38Cto15E

Thanks for that 800001, my brain wasn't working too well and I forgot the train would be running under the wires for a long part of it's journey. I was still in HST dreamworld.
Do they fill up the water tanks at Inverness whilst the train is stabled?
Last one now, I had a great cooked breakfast a couple of weeks ago, is the following mornings food still put on the down train at Waverley the previous teatime and then kept at the correct temperarure whilst the train is in the platform at Inverness.
TIA

Established Member
Thanks for that 800001, my brain wasn't working too well and I forgot the train would be running under the wires for a long part of it's journey. I was still in HST dreamworld.
Do they fill up the water tanks at Inverness whilst the train is stabled?
Last one now, I had a great cooked breakfast a couple of weeks ago, is the following mornings food still put on the down train at Waverley the previous teatime and then kept at the correct temperarure whilst the train is in the platform at Inverness.
TIA
Nothing gets done to the train at Inverness, when it terminates it’s locked up and shut down until the following morning.

Regards breakfast, yes food is loaded at Edinburgh to enable it to be served on the southbound service.

I believe, that the train is plugged into shore supply to enable the chillers to receive power overnight.

fraser158

I think it's no longer fuelled at Inverness to enable an earlier finish for the driver?

I believe the driver who takes it north takes it south now.

Established Member
I think it's no longer fuelled at Inverness to enable an earlier finish for the driver?

I believe the driver who takes it north takes it south now.
You are correct, no it does not get fuelled, it’s stabled in station overnight, shut down immediately after arrival.

And yes same driver takes it back south.

Last edited: