• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Speaking as a user rather than an enthusiast, Go Cornwall appear to have made a right pig's ear of the timetable changes, at least on the 25. 6 days in, bus stops are showing out of date timetables, parts of their own site are not showing updated times, passengers are confused and a there is a pretty much "don't care" attitude from so-called customer services. It's rather poor, l feel. Meanwhile the drivers, as ever, are first class.
The no 3 to Roscadghill is not shown on bus stop timetables in Penzance's main street, any more than when it was part of the 16: the 16/As that still travel eastbound to Penzance Bus Stn don't either. On the other hand, the two TfL M6 journeys on schooldays connecting Mousehot le to Humphry Davy School on schooldays, which go nowhere near Market Jew Street, are proudly displayed as TfL's sole contribution to a now-otherwise-deceased route number. Incredible incompetence!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
The combined Cornwall bus map is now on the Go Cornwall Bus (GCB) website. Looks great until you notice all the errors. Eg, Atlantic Coaster and Land's End Coaster are missing and the Mousehole is still shown as M6. That's just for starters.

The PDF timetables have also not been updated. While the current timetable for each route is shown in web format if you click on the PDF link it displays the old pre-5th September timetable.

Last edited by a moderator:

farwest

The combined Cornwall bus map is now on the Go Cornwall Bus (GCB) website. Looks great until you notice all the errors. Eg, Atlantic Coaster and Land's End Coaster are missing and the Mousehole is still shown as M6. That's just for starters.

The PDF timetables have also not been updated. While the current timetable for each route is shown in web format if you click on the PDF link it displays the old pre-5th September timetable.
It's a start for Transport for Cornwall; perhaps there will be a combined timetable next?

Last edited by a moderator:

SimH

Errors indeed. Both Newquay town services (58,59) are still secret, and the admittedly elusive D1 is also absent -- along with Atlantic Coaster.

Bungle158

I hesitate to bash Go Cornwall, because their drivers are overall, a great bunch, efficient, friendly and helpful.

Sadly however, the bus stop mounted timetables on route 25 are still not updated. The same is true of the PDF timetables on their site, along with those on the Bustimes pages.

Calls to customer support are in vain. What will they do when covid isn't around to blame?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I hesitate to bash Go Cornwall, because their drivers are overall, a great bunch, efficient, friendly and helpful.

Sadly however, the bus stop mounted timetables on route 25 are still not updated. The same is true of the PDF timetables on their site, along with those on the Bustimes pages.

Calls to customer support are in vain. What will they do when covid isn't around to blame?
I think on this forum we can distinguish driver bashing from operator/council bashing: it's even possible and desirable to distinguish between bashing the contractor (Go-Ahead) and the procuror (Cornwall Council.) I have no doubt which is more to blame for the deficiencies shown. If things had gone differently, it could have been First operating the network now known as Go Cornwall and I've little doubt that many of the problems and errors might then have erroneously been laid at their door.

I've really only seen the Penzance area drivers, but agree with you overall, some of it from the perspective of a car driver who meets their vehicles on a country road, when I will always do my best to make way for them. You get the odd one who appears angry and arrogant, but then that's my experience of a small proportion of First's Penzance-based drivers too, Marazion being the place that exposes them!

GBM

Like all jobs, there's far more to it than meets the eye. Also a shift can be between 10 and 12 hours, plus much overtime to try and keep the service running with so many drivers off.
Like you, they're only human, and can, and do have bad/off days which shouldn't (but do) affect their driving.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Like all jobs, there's far more to it than meets the eye. Also a shift can be between 10 and 12 hours, plus much overtime to try and keep the service running with so many drivers off.
Like you, they're only human, and can, and do have bad/off days which shouldn't (but do) affect their driving.
All true, but, as in all jobs which employ considerable numbers doing basically the same work, there'll be some exceedingly conscientious and some at the opposite extreme, with most drivers probably positioned somewhere between those two poles. We all have 'off' days which can affect our mood, but there are a few drivers I've seen over the years in different parts of England who didn't appear up to the job, either in their driving or their handling of the public, in some cases both. The trouble is, you remember the bad experiences more, which may be as few as 1% of journeys made. I might add that I've never driven a bus.

richw

Veteran Member
How is GCB coping given the current madness at petrol stations?
A friend at one of their depots commented on Facebook that they’d had to take a double deck on a single deck working yesterday evening as it was the only bus on that yard with fuel.

The owner of Oakleys in Plymouth has posted on Facebook that he has enough fuel in his service buses to do half a day on Monday if they can’t source any Diesel by then.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
How is GCB coping given the current madness at petrol stations?
I was driving past Long Rock Morrisons yesterday evening and saw a National Express coach drive into the petrol station followed by a Morrison's fuel tanker. As there were no cars queuing I assume the petrol station had been closed prior to this.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I was driving past Long Rock Morrisons yesterday evening and saw a National Express coach drive into the petrol station followed by a Morrison's fuel tanker. As there were no cars queuing I assume the petrol station had been closed prior to this.
Good timing on the part of the coach!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
The Green Line ones have London-type air chill units.

The main unit and air intake is above the stairs, with outlet vents above the off-side windows along the length of the deck.

On the Green Line Geminis the windows were always locked unless the air chill failed. On TfL spec buses windows are not lockable, which is just as well as the units never seem to be maintained.

Almost exactly a year, I know, but if you're on about which Wright Geminis with air con, then Oxford Bus Company's 351-369 (B5LH chassis) also have air con, with the vent located at the top deck above the stairs.

Difference between that and First's B7TL/B9TLs is that OBC'S B5LHs are 4.2m half height whilst First B7TL/B9TLs are 4.3m full height.

greengrey

2449 was in an accident this morning. Drove past it in Centenary St., Camborne. It had battered offside centre panels, and there was a car, facing in the opposite direction, behind it in the middle of the road. Saw the Fire Brigade and Police in attendance but didn't see an ambulance. Don't know if there were any injuries.

richw

Veteran Member
2449 was in an accident this morning. Drove past it in Centenary St., Camborne. It had battered offside centre panels, and there was a car, facing in the opposite direction, behind it in the middle of the road. Saw the Fire Brigade and Police in attendance but didn't see an ambulance. Don't know if there were any injuries.
I passed it on A30 with an engineer driving mid afternoon. Looked quite a mess

MotCO

Established Member
Almost exactly a year, I know, but if you're on about which Wright Geminis with air con, then Oxford Bus Company's 351-369 (B5LH chassis) also have air con, with the vent located at the top deck above the stairs.

London buses used to have an air chill cabinet in this position - are you sure that the Oxford Buses have air con, or is it the same air chill? Air con tends to be at the back of buses above the engine with no lower rear window.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
London buses used to have an air chill cabinet in this position - are you sure that the Oxford Buses have air con, or is it the same air chill? Air con tends to be at the back of buses above the engine with no lower rear window.

I think it's the air chill, but I don't know. Either way, those OBC B5LHs have the same feature as Tfl's double deckers.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I wasn't aware that Oxford had recently moved to Cornwall. Do please stay on-topic. Thanks :)

CornwallBus

So.... with Cornwall Council needing to save some rediculous amount of money, what if anything will happen to these tendered services carrying fresh air?? I know that I used to have 2 buses per hour ( Serv. 25 & 30) and it was only really the 25 carrying good numbers, now I have the 25, 25A, 29 & 30. 3 of which seem to bunch up almost running together. I just cant see the logic in splitting 25 into 25 & 29 as First use to carry regular through passengers from St.Blazey to Newquay!

Columbo

So.... with Cornwall Council needing to save some rediculous amount of money, what if anything will happen to these tendered services carrying fresh air?? I know that I used to have 2 buses per hour ( Serv. 25 & 30) and it was only really the 25 carrying good numbers, now I have the 25, 25A, 29 & 30. 3 of which seem to bunch up almost running together. I just cant see the logic in splitting 25 into 25 & 29 as First use to carry regular through passengers from St.Blazey to Newquay!
Is it not the case that the money funding the "Transport for Cornwall" initiative is from central government and thus ring-fenced? However, I agree some rationalisation to services could take place if only to save vehicle workings & driver duties given the current situation across the industry with staffing, recruitment & retention.

On the Buses

Is it not the case that the money funding the "Transport for Cornwall" initiative is from central government and thus ring-fenced? However, I agree some rationalisation to services could take place if only to save vehicle workings & driver duties given the current situation across the industry with staffing, recruitment & retention.
No

Kieanh4

Tap on Tap off ticketer machines. They are being rolled out across the country.. Go Ahead has them on Bringhton & Hove/Metrobus & Bluestar already
It must be at least be a TfC branded buses rollout because I also saw it on an OTS bus

cnjb8

Established Member
Not my photo
Wasn’t there an age limit for TfC buses? If so I don’t think introducing 15-year old former London E200s would comply with it, though I believe this bus has been converted to Euro 6 having been in London

richw

Veteran Member
Not my photo
Wasn’t there an age limit for TfC buses? If so I don’t think introducing 15-year old former London E200s would comply with it, though I believe this bus has been converted to Euro 6 having been in London
I believe there’s no age limit but a minimum Euro Standard