• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go jenson!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGV

Anyone else see that race?! Unbelievable - JB was 21st half way through and he won! Brilliant drive - one of the best I've ever seen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lampshade

Established Member
That's quite possibly the best race I've watched, and I've seen every one since Monaco 1996.

EDIT: Actually, I missed Canada 1996.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Cracking stuff - especially to nip it right at the end. But it was a stunning drive from him with everything that he had to put up with through the race.

NSE

Established Member
FWOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Union Flag is out the window tonight, as is standard practice when a British Driver wins :D
Amazing drive!

Heinz57

I thought it was an apsolutly fantastic race. Probably the best I've ever seen.

It had it all, including marshells tripping over. Did you see him slip over? Collecting debris from the Lotus, ran across to pick some up, slipped over and managed to get up and move in time for the I think it was a Toro Rosso coming through.

A fantastic and well deserved win for Jenson Button though, well done to him!

LE Greys

Established Member
Absolutely sensational drive! I've seen some astonishing performances, and that is up there with the best of them (Schumacher reeling in Alesi at the Nurburgring, Panis winning from behind at Monaco, Senna at Donnington perhaps). All those safety cars were a bit of a joke, but I know what the rain can be like, I've been there (pics available on request, including a lorry driving down the start-finish straight). Once the race got going, it was absolutely brilliant.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I thought it was an apsolutly fantastic race. Probably the best I've ever seen.

It had it all, including marshells tripping over. Did you see him slip over? Collecting debris from the Lotus, ran across to pick some up, slipped over and managed to get up and move in time for the I think it was a Toro Rosso coming through.

A fantastic and well deserved win for Jenson Button though, well done to him!

It almost looked as though he got run over, but I didn't quite see it.

Zoe

Established Member
Button may have benefited from the new rules for restarts. Under the old rules they would have saved all the times and restarted the race with actual position decided by aggregate timings rather than track position. If Button had been more than three seconds behind Vettel at the time of the red flag then Vettel would still have won the race even though Button was ahead on the track.

Lampshade

Established Member
Button may have benefited from the new rules for restarts. Under the old rules they would have saved all the times and restarted the race with actual position decided by aggregate timings rather than track position. If Button had been more than three seconds behind Vettel at the time of the red flag then Vettel would still have won the race even though Button was ahead on the track.

I was wondering about this the other week. In Japan 1994 (which I believe was the last time they used aggregate times), Damon Hill finished about 10 seconds ahead of Schumacher on the road but only 3.36 ahead overall as Schumi had been ahead at the time of the red flag.

Zoe

Established Member
I know the new rules were not introduced this year but I'm not sure exactly when it was changed.

Established Member
I thought the race was pretty crap. Switched on about four times during the stoppage and went to the pub instead.

j0hn0

I thought the race was pretty crap. Switched on about four times during the stoppage and went to the pub instead.

I was switching back and forth to James Mays train race, needless to say I turned back in time just as it kicked off for the final phase.

Fantastic by Jenson, Hamilton, again, ego gets the better of him, seems like sacking his dad as his manager has gone well then?!! :D

passmore

I was switching back and forth to James Mays train race, needless to say I turned back in time just as it kicked off for the final phase.

Fantastic by Jenson, Hamilton, again, ego gets the better of him, seems like sacking his dad as his manager has gone well then?!! :D

So a mistake that JB clearly admitted to was because of Hamilton's ego?

Riiiiiiight....

Ferret

Established Member
So a mistake that JB clearly admitted to was because of Hamilton's ego?

Riiiiiiight....

I didn't really view it as Button's fault either - the visibility must've been shocking in that weather with all the spray and I doubt Button had a prayer of seeing what Hamilton was doing. It was just a racing accident.

chris89

Established Member
The race in all honesty was quite boring, watched the begining got bored and changed it to James May's toy stories.

Hamiltons ego is getting bigger and bigger now and taking more risks, he should have stopped straight away after having that damage then causing an another safety care.

I only started to re-watch it with about 6 laps to go and was truely impressed by my 'local' hero being Button since was from near frome. Also im extremely glad that Vettel didn't win an another race as the season has been boring with him permently on pole and pretty much always finishing first.

I Just hope that Button wins a lot more races and gets Redbull of their high throne as watching 'Red Bull' wins race after race is boring as they get 10+ second leads.

Anyway Le-Mans was much more exciting and Allan McNish was extremely lucky, if they were still using the open top LMP1 cars i doubt he would have surrived.

Chris

chris89

Established Member
Last edited:

passmore

The race in all honesty was quite boring, watched the begining got bored and changed it to James May's toy stories.

Hamiltons ego is getting bigger and bigger now and taking more risks, he should have stopped straight away after having that damage then causing an another safety care.

I only started to re-watch it with about 6 laps to go and was truely impressed by my 'local' hero being Button since was from near frome. Also im extremely glad that Vettel didn't win an another race as the season has been boring with him permently on pole and pretty much always finishing first.

I Just hope that Button wins a lot more races and gets Redbull of their high throne as watching 'Red Bull' wins race after race is boring as they get 10+ second leads.

Anyway Le-Mans was much more exciting and Allan McNish was extremely lucky, if they were still using the open top LMP1 cars i doubt he would have surrived.

Chris

I still dispute that Hamilton's ego was the cause of the crash between him and Button. It was merely, as Ferret correctly pointed out, a case of the weather being so bad it obscured any visibility between the two cars. Button apologised and Hamilton accepted.
I agree that he shouldn't have taken a risk into the first corner causing him to make contact with Webber, but would we be having this discussion if he'd pulled off the manouevre without going into Webber?

Be that as it may, it was a deserved victory for Button and for McLaren.

LE Greys

Established Member
I still dispute that Hamilton's ego was the cause of the crash between him and Button. It was merely, as Ferret correctly pointed out, a case of the weather being so bad it obscured any visibility between the two cars. Button apologised and Hamilton accepted.
I agree that he shouldn't have taken a risk into the first corner causing him to make contact with Webber, but would we be having this discussion if he'd pulled off the manouevre without going into Webber?

Be that as it may, it was a deserved victory for Button and for McLaren.

I remember a certain Schumacher and Coulthard doing something similar, also in appalling conditions, at Spa. At least Jenson was able to continue in this case.

chris89

Established Member
Just my personal opion that is all. Especially after all the trouble he has been getting into recently.

But one good thing that Exhust technogly is finially being banned and will be in effect by Silverstone.

Chris

j0hn0

Just my personal opion that is all. Especially after all the trouble he has been getting into recently.

But one good thing that Exhust technogly is finially being banned and will be in effect by Silverstone.

Chris

Same here, i refer to all the previous incidents this season, especially at monaco. He is just always blaming someone else and that he has a god given right to get through, even when it is just his nose that is alongside.

His whole demeanour, persona has changed this year, he is really showing his ~sshole personality that apparently he shows at mclaren all the time. My friend worked for them for 2 years, everyone liked alonso, everyone hated hamilton.

Well not exclusively but you get the picture

passmore

Same here, i refer to all the previous incidents this season, especially at monaco. He is just always blaming someone else and that he has a god given right to get through, even when it is just his nose that is alongside.

His whole demeanour, persona has changed this year, he is really showing his ~sshole personality that apparently he shows at mclaren all the time. My friend worked for them for 2 years, everyone liked alonso, everyone hated hamilton.

Well not exclusively but you get the picture

Well you either like or you hate Lewis. I can remember Andy Murray behaving in a similar sort of way when he kicked off his career 4 years ago.

My opinion of him is someone who is of a 'do or die' attitude, an attitude which is a necessity when you drive in F1. I've already expressed my opinion of him during the Monaco saga and I won't say it again.

j0hn0

Well you either like or you hate Lewis. I can remember Andy Murray behaving in a similar sort of way when he kicked off his career 4 years ago.

My opinion of him is someone who is of a 'do or die' attitude, an attitude which is a necessity when you drive in F1. I've already expressed my opinion of him during the Monaco saga and I won't say it again.

Thats the thing though, i am a MASSIVE hamilton fan, but i just think that this year he is behaving like a little petulant twunt because he doesnt have the fastest car. Either way, he is turning me against him the more stupid stuff like this he does.

He ended up ending his own race IMO and even if he hadnt, the stewards would ve given him a drive thru anyway for more stupid manouevres.

I love the way he drives the nuts off the car, but jenson is clearly the most mature

TGV

I watched pretty much all of Le Mans live that eurosport showed, then I sat through all five hours of the GP - good thing the weather here was the same as Montreal all weekend.

Le Mans was a classic - 13 seconds between 1st and 2nd after 24 hours of racing. That's pretty special. Good that Audi got the win after their two monster shunts. Although I kinda want the pugs to win now - it's like the Vettel syndrome - getting bored of Audi's winning at la Sarthe.

The GP was also a classic - the lap chart (attached) shows that JB was 21st and DEAD LAST as he crossed the line to begin lap 42. 28 laps later he was 1st. And no trick tyre strategy here - he was on the same boots as Seb and Mark, and JB's were a lap older.

A champion's drive for sure. Lewis looked like a rookie for the second race running.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.PNG
    IMG_0014.PNG
    290.1 KB · Views: 13

starrymarkb

Established Member

Button was pretty much towards back in terms of track position when the race was red flagged, though his lap times were very good he'd made 2 pit stops and a penalty.

It's not possible to space the cars out by time when restarting from a Safety car, Bernt Maylander's job is to keep the field slow and in a bunch while the marshalls work to clear the track.

David

Established Member

Neither Lewis or Jensen did anything wrong there that I could see. Conditions were horrible with loads of spray coming of the back of the car. Jensen was slow coming off the corner but still took the normal racing line, as he was entiltled to seeing he was ahead.

Lewis saw that he was slow and tried an opportunistic move. A similar thing happened near the end when Jenson went past Mark Webber. That could have gon badly wrong as well, but I haven't seen any criticism of that "risky and foolhardy" move.

It was a bog standard racing incident that happens when you get a wet track and lots of spray like that ....

passmore

Neither Lewis or Jensen did anything wrong there that I could see. Conditions were horrible with loads of spray coming of the back of the car. Jensen was slow coming off the corner but still took the normal racing line, as he was entiltled to seeing he was ahead.

Lewis saw that he was slow and tried an opportunistic move. A similar thing happened near the end when Jenson went past Mark Webber. That could have gon badly wrong as well, but I haven't seen any criticism of that "risky and foolhardy" move.

It was a bog standard racing incident that happens when you get a wet track and lots of spray like that ....

It was merely a racing accident, neither driver was at fault, and hardly called for the anti-Hamilton brigade to come out in force, especially from the likes of Nikki Lauda on the BBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.