• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go-juice

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

Anyone any idea how much bio-diesel is actually produced in this land each year? Also which plants does it actually come from? Is it all rape-seed or a mixture of allsorts?

[s'cuse my ignorance]

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
Don't know how much is produced in the UK but very nearly 100% does come from virgin rape seed. The EU provides a significant amount of financial support for growing rape, hence the proliferation of bright yellow fields every May.

In the US a proprotion of biodiesel (also known as RME) is produced from used cooking oil - a handy way of disposing of it.

H

HR2

Dennis said:
In the US a proprotion of biodiesel (also known as RME) is produced from used cooking oil - a handy way of disposing of it.

Yes I have heard of that and think it's very good idea. But of course with all good ideas authority won't take the trouble to implement a used cooking oil collection system by councils or whoever. Think of the thousands of gallons that go down drains and into bins each week?

I would like to see all bio-diesel reserved for public transport like buses and without any tax on it so that it makes it viable for them. Bus'es/trucks are bigger polluters than diesel cars so selling to private motorists is a bit silly. Let them use petrol and ordinary diesel and pay the revenue. After all there's millions of them to pay it why should bus passengers subsidise them?

Another thing is that road tax and insurance should be lumped in with the price you pay at the pump. That way ALL motorists pay their fair share and it will possibly mean a reduction in insurance premiums of those drivers that DO pay. Driving age should be raised to 18 also. [ which is, I hear, in the pipeline along with raising the age limit for tobacco purchase]

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Public bus companies don't have to pay tax on their diesel - although for a few months last year First in Glasgow were :P

Tom B

Established Member
Some bus companies don't bother with the rebate scheme and just use red diesel instead...

Dennis

Established Member
Isn't there a bit of fuss over growing palm oil for use as biofuel as a consequence of the jungle being chopped down to make may for it? Perhaps not so eco-friendly after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.