• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go North West

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
On a low loader? Wouldn't it be cheaper to drive it there?
Not really

You have a low loader with one driver and one tractor unit/trailer. Alternatively, you have a bus with one driver AND then a car with another driver following to pick up the first one or at least pay out for taxis/train fares to get them back.

That's because refurb takes a few weeks. Should you be transferring a number of vehicles at the same time, then it does make sense to drive them in convoy and then have a driver in a car to repatriate the drivers.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It's standard practice for Thornton's to collect and redelivery the vehicles. Typically speaking they'll do two at a time. So when the first two are finished they take them back to the operator and then take another two down.

Knowing first, there's probably something wrong with it and they left it to go ahead or it's an hybrid probably won't hit 55 on the motorway.

Depends where the limiter is set, B5LH's can quite happily sit at 60MPH.

Galaxy

Indeed, i was made aware not long after making that comment, but had yet to edit it here to reflect that.

It's such a bland and repetitive design that i was mistaken for thinking it was the word of Stenning! Looking at Buzz Marketing's previous work they quite evidently lack any buzz!

Had a colleague not been "in the know" I would have swore blind it was the work of Best Impressions. It isn't bad, but did hope for something a little more revolutionary.

That said, anything is better than the pastels of Olympia.

overthewater

Established Member
I doubt all the fleet getting sent, especially if brand new stuff is bought. Could it be 50%

mic

Kian Lewis also reports that they have 33843.
no 33843 is a Bolton bus a driver Buses 2012 on flicker who works there said no more are moving this person who reported it has told me stuff that is false and i do get weekly reports for FGM

RustySpoons

They were also behind Pulham Coaches rather bland and boring Citaro's... And to think they got paid money to come up with this "design"!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/steves-travels/37261516532/

This is what I don't understand. Stenning's designs are well known in the industry, any bus manager who is looking to work with a design agency will be aware of his designs, so when another agency comes up with a design like this why do they hand over money and go along with it? Surely it wasn't the only design they came up with? Just paying money to make your bus look the same as everyone elses.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
This is what I don't understand. Stenning's designs are well known in the industry, any bus manager who is looking to work with a design agency will be aware of his designs, so when another agency comes up with a design like this why do they hand over money and go along with it? Surely it wasn't the only design they came up with? Just paying money to make your bus look the same as everyone elses.

But does it look the same as everyone else’s? It looks similar to 15 POTN vehicles of Transdev of which most are in central Lancashire or Yorkshire. Spotters know that - the average punter won’t

RustySpoons

But does it look the same as everyone else’s? It looks similar to 15 POTN vehicles of Transdev of which most are in central Lancashire or Yorkshire. Spotters know that - the average punter won’t

True. It's not unusual for Transdev to run PotN liveried buses into Manchester though, so there probably is a chance they'll cross paths at some point.

If I was paying for someone to design a livery/brand for my company though, I wouldn't be impressed if it looked the same or similar to another company operating in the same field. I understand that there are only a finite amount of colours and designs you can put on a bus, but it doesn't take a lot to have a classy and unique livery. Look at the pre-Transdev Blazefield liveries, or Reliance, Delaine, etc.

The whole two-colour-diagonal-line livery has been done to death and seems synonymous with Best Impressions, which I guess is why most people seem to think the GoNW livery is one of their designs.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
True. It's not unusual for Transdev to run PotN liveried buses into Manchester though, so there probably is a chance they'll cross paths at some point.

If I was paying for someone to design a livery/brand for my company though, I wouldn't be impressed if it looked the same or similar to another company operating in the same field. I understand that there are only a finite amount of colours and designs you can put on a bus, but it doesn't take a lot to have a classy and unique livery. Look at the pre-Transdev Blazefield liveries, or Reliance, Delaine, etc.

The whole two-colour-diagonal-line livery has been done to death and seems synonymous with Best Impressions, which I guess is why most people seem to think the GoNW livery is one of their designs.
That’s my point - it won’t be most people. Really just enthusiasts to be honest.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
That’s my point - it won’t be most people. Really just enthusiasts to be honest.

But if that's the case why bother getting a so called "designer" to design a livery for your company when you could just copy another operators livery and change the colours. Seems a waste of money and a fraud to me.

JetBlast

Go North West operate the 17 into Rochdale. Rochdale is the main base where Rosso works out of so they will cross plenty of times in Rochdale bus station.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'm not a marketeer but i could probably do a better job of designing a livery that was at least not a copy+paste of somebody else's work!

Oh what it were so simple! I sit next to our firm’s graphic designer and it is a definite skill and more than just a nice colour scheme in MS paint.

Mind you, the similarity is definitely there. It’s not a direct copy but it’s not far off and I’m a bit surprised that it’s not more exiting!

Go North West operate the 17 into Rochdale. Rochdale is the main base where Rosso works out of so they will cross plenty of times in Rochdale bus station.

It’s four vehicles at Rochdale.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Oh what it were so simple! I sit next to our firm’s graphic designer and it is a definite skill and more than just a nice colour scheme in MS paint.

Mind you, the similarity is definitely there. It’s not a direct copy but it’s not far off and I’m a bit surprised that it’s not more exiting!

I'd agree, it's not simple creating a livery/brand and takes a true talent. My point was just about how these people are being paid to blatantly rip off some else's design (Two tone design with front colour wedge and some "decorative" vinyls just after the colour split).

Mal

With Go North West using Firsts' fleetnumbers, does anyone think this could be the start of a National numbering scheme. It would make sense especially if Go Ahead were thinking of expanding. It would need tidying up though to become more logical.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I do find this opprobrium towards Ray Stenning and Best Impressions perverse to say the least, particularly when he's getting the blame for a scheme that he's not responsible for. :oops: And who'd have thought so many graphic designers would be on this board :lol:

The reality is that most design agencies have a house style. Should an operator want something completely new, then I'm sure that BI would do it. However, that they can reuse designs and collateral means that they can create a livery plus all the other marketing collateral at a lower cost.

Also, liveries that are designed that reflect the two main manufacturers styling so they're going to look similar. I might also add that this is of little interest to the 99.99% of passengers; if you're a passenger on the Norwich Park and Ride, are you going to know that it's similar to Buses of Somerset? I'm guessing not.

Opinions are personal but I do tend to agree with the overall view on the GNW livery; it's restrained bordering on dull and I was thinking they might have gone for something bolder and brighter as a greater break from the past.

Agreed - poor old Ray, getting the blame because people don't like the livery on a bus that he's had nothing to do with...

I was underwhelmed with the colour scheme when I first saw it - I was expecting something a bit more vibrant, a bit more *orange* - but enthusiasts will criticise any livery - too busy, too bland, too many lines/colours, too plain, too vivid, too dull etc. Route branding gets too confusing but then operators who don't have branded buses are too corporate. You get the idea.

Realistically though, there are only so many designs that'll work on a bus. It's going to have to be fairly bold/ recognisable from a distance (so that passengers can identify it before it reaches their stop, know which one to run for).

Due to the big "black" space taken up by modern windows/ destination screens, there's a lot less "bus" to play around with, which means "clever" liveries like the Stagecoach horns can't really fit onto the bus shape, so I can see why a simple diagonal livery would be chosen - it should work on most vehicle types (rather than being designed for just one and then looking less good on others - e.g. the way that the Wrights "w" on the rear of the vehicle seemed to be integral to the First "Olympia" livery) - nothing new under the sun though, and with hundreds of current liveries/branding known to enthusiasts (and hundreds more of historic ones) it's not surprising that it looks a bit like the shape of another livery.

In a similar way, look at how most modern train liveries look the same as each other - the only difference is the door colour and the swoop of colour that comes down to the cab!

Status
Not open for further replies.