• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go South Coast

Soundwave

A quick glance at 'Bustimes" at 1836 just now, shows the M1 has 21 buses on it and the 5/5A has 7 buses.
Will they be standard 10.9m low height MMC models? just idle speculation, why not 11m full height models?
I believe that the M1 is mostly operated from Bournemouth depot - Bustimes shows Poole but I think Bournemouth is the flag for the ex Yellowbus routes and Bournemouth also operate the 13 & M1, - happy to be corrected if I have got this wrong?
So what will happen to the displaced E200MMC? - displace the B7RLE - maybe to Swindon to get rid of the remaining Scanias and Streetlites?
They can't replace the streetlites in Swindon due to the low bridge at the station. I could see them in Salisbury replacing the classic E200s which could then move to Swindon to replace the Streetlites

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Surreyman

They can't replace the streetlites in Swindon due to the low bridge at the station. I could see them in Salisbury replacing the classic E200s which could then move to Swindon to replace the Streetlites
Confused - assume there is a difference in height between B7RLE/E200/Streetlite?

MotCO

Established Member
I see the article also says they (E400s) will be allocated to the m1 converting it to double deck operation and to the 5/5A.
It actually says initially serving the m1, converting it to double deck. What does that mean? Are different new buses arriving for the m1?

Dorsetbus

It actually says initially serving the m1, converting it to double deck. What does that mean? Are different new buses arriving for the m1?
It means the m1 will get priority for the new vehicles with the being later for conversion.

baza585

I see the article also says they (E400s) will be allocated to the m1 converting it to double deck operation and to the 5/5A.
Daytime PVR is currently 22 m1 and 8 5/5A. Suggests a minor frequency change is likely when the m1 is deckered....

Eyersey468

Established Member
There are 7 ADL Enviro 400MMC on order for Southern Vectis to be delivered later this year

Dorsetbus

Daytime PVR is currently 22 m1 and 8 5/5A. Suggests a minor frequency change is likely when the m1 is deckered....
The 5's are only getting the left overs of the batch. The rest will be made up with older deckers. Ex uni vehicles most likely.

baza585

The 5's are only getting the left overs of the batch. The rest will be made up with older deckers. Ex uni vehicles most likely.
Makes sense. I'm about surprised about the 5/5a given the previous vandalism problems on that route!

Soundwave

Makes sense. I'm about surprised about the 5/5a given the previous vandalism problems on that route!
The 5/5A operates through areas of high deprivation. So it will be good bus territory.

At the end of the day, vandalism is a problem for society to sort out. I'm have no doubt that the management team at Morebus wouldn't hesitate to withdraw the buses to prove a point. In the same way Lothian did. Throw the problem back at society to sort out.

baza585

The 5/5A operates through areas of high deprivation. So it will be good bus territory.

At the end of the day, vandalism is a problem for society to sort out. I'm have no doubt that the management team at Morebus wouldn't hesitate to withdraw the buses to prove a point. In the same way Lothian did. Throw the problem back at society to sort out.
Absolutely agree but I might be tempted to use more elderly double deckers rather than brand new targets for the local stone throwers.

Certainly Yellows didn't put their E400MMCs on that route.......

Dorsetbus

Absolutely agree but I might be tempted to use more elderly double deckers rather than brand new targets for the local stone throwers.

Certainly Yellows didn't put their E400MMCs on that route.......
The ex uni e400 have been on there since the take over and have been fine. Plus extra cctv goes a long way too.

James H

This year's Purbeck / Poole / Bournemouth / Christchurch open top routes have been announced:

https://www.morebus.co.uk/breezers-summer-launch-event-friday-7-april-poole-park

We are exctied to unveil increased services and new-look buses for additional Breezer routes across Dorset

Local people and visitors wishing to travel across Dorset on some of the nation’s most picturesque bus routes can enjoy an exciting new family of Breezer services this summer.

We are extending popular Purbeck Breezer routes - with more open-top buses and a fresh new look planned. We will unveil them at an event in Poole Park on Good Friday (Friday 7 April), between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm.

We’re very excited to be revealing our striking new family of Breezers at Poole Park during the Dolphin Marching Band’s Easter Fair.

We will have four buses to showcase, along with lots of family fun, traditional fete games with a twist and prizes can be won too! It's a great family day out.

These new services are the result of a recent review of our offering here. We’ve listened to what our customers have told us they would like, in terms of bus services during the summer across Dorset, and we think they will be impressed by these changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

fgwrich

Established Member

RELL6L

The 30 and 31 look exactly the same as last year. They were closed top deckers last year too. I took a 30 from Weymouth to Wareham via Lulworth. Yes, parallels First routes quite substantially from Wareham westwards.

BenS123

Just saw one of morebus' buses borrowed(?) from Go North East on the 88 so that means morebus have now taken over.

Looked to be on time so looks like morebus have made a good start!

(post below is unrelated, the forum software seems to have merged them)

Morebus have announced a new route supported by the Levelling Up Fund: the circular route 99 between Boscombe Pier, Boscombe Bus Station and Pokesdown Rail Station.

The bus will run up to every 30 minutes between 9.30 am and 6.30 pm, seven days a week
Route 99 is a trial and will operate daily until Sunday 29 October. The project has been delivered by the Bournemouth Towns Fund, which is funded by the Government Department of Levelling Up alongside BCP Council.

Last edited:

PTR 444

Established Member

Improvements to routes and times from 27 May 2023​

Yesterday Wed 12th Apr 2023

Great news, we are making more improvements to our timetables and routes. It's been quite a few months since we started operating some of the old Yellow Bus routes and we have now had the chance to fully assess the requirements of our services now things have settled down.
These changes will commence from 27 May and as well as new timetables, there are a few route number changes too (this is so we don't have two routes in different areas numbered the same). A summary of the changes are listed below. The timetables will be ready to view during May.
Here is a map of the new network.
Current Route NoNew Route NoDetails of Changes
1an/aThere will be extra journeys in the early morning, late evening and at peak times of the day.
1bn/aWill be extended beyond Christchurch to Burton via Purewell Cross every 30 minutes in the daytime.
11cRenumbered 1c and extended beyond Christchurch via either Hunt Road (current 23 route) or Mudeford (current X1 routing of Mudeford Lane, Avon Beach Approach & De Havilland Way). Buses will go outbound via Hunt Road returning via Mudeford and vice versa, therefore offering customers better connections. Evening journeys on 1b & 1c will continue to terminate at Two Riversmeet.
222renumbered 22 with a new timetable for reliability improvements.
412The existing Bournemouth to Castlepoint route 4 will be renumbered 12 with a new timetable.
5/5an/aNew route in Kinson to now terminate in Wimborne Road by the Library, no longer serving Millhams Road or Home Road.
6/6an/aNew timetable for reliability improvements and extra journeys.
525Poole to Tollerford Road - will be renumbered to 25 with no timetable changes.
626Poole to Tower Park - will be renumbered to 26 with no timetables changes.
14n/aBuses in Kinson towards Poole will now serve the stop in Millhams Road and not Wimborne Road.
18n/aIncreased to every half hour during the daytime, plus new Sunday timetable.
20n/anew timetable for reliability improvements.
23n/aThis route will be replaced by improvements on routes 1b & 1c. Burton customers will need to use 1b which will run up to every 30 minutes, whilst customers travelling to Hunt Road should use 1c.
24n/arerouted to run between Christchurch Two Riversmeet, Marsh Lane, St Catherines Hill, River Way & RBH to Castlepoint.
33n/aNew timetable for reliability improvements.
36n/aNew timetable for reliability improvements.
50n/aincreased summer timetable.
737n/aNew timetable for reliability improvements.
U1n/aNew timetable for reliability improvements.
X1/X2n/aRevised route from Hoburne Lane via Somerford Sainsburys and Somerford Road direct to Christchurch. Rerouted via St Swithuns Road instead of Holdenhurst Road to Lansdowne, with the pick up now being in Christchurch Road. Customers in Mudeford should use the new 1c route.
We have lots of seasonal route improvements for our summer Breezer routes too, offering more opportunities for a great sustainable day out by bus. Find out more about our new Breezers here...
Overall a very solid recast, long overdue. My thoughts:
  • 1a/1b/1c - Could have been renumbered but these are well-known routes so I accept that these are left as they are. The 1 becoming 1c is sensible to avoid confusion with the m1. The extensions to Burton and Mudeford are also a positive step forward, reinstating direct links to Bournemouth and Boscombe that were lost years ago.
  • 22 - A sensible number for the ex-YB 2. Avoids confusion with the m2.
  • 12 - Again, a sensible number for the ex-YB 4 since it shares a common section with the existing route 13.
  • 25/26 - A shame that two of Poole's most important routes have been allocated such high numbers, but this was probably a sensible compromise when putting the ex-YB 5/5a or 6/6a into context.
  • 18 - The doubling of frequency caught me by surprise but on the face of it this seems a very positive development. Whenever I've used this route it has always seemed quiet, but I imagine passengers must be finding the new Morebus offering an improvement over Yellows when they ran this route. I expect many passengers from Broadstone who previously caught the 3/3x/4 to Poole then changed onto an m1/m2 for Bournemouth will switch to the 18, considering that this route will now be quicker and more convenient than changing in most cases. Am I right in thinking that this route is still tendered by BCP council?
  • 24 - Extension to Castlepoint makes sense - reinstates a lost link previously run by Yellows.
  • X1/X2 - A good idea to divert away from Mudeford. I always thought this section of route was rather slow and urban for what was is a long distance service. Serving the Sainsbury's at Somerford will be welcomed by residents of New Milton, while Mudeford receives improved provision by the new 1c and 80 routes.
While the duplicated numbers have been removed, there is still an inconsistent pattern in the numbering, with some alphanumeric routes and others standalone. There is even inconsistency in the use of upper and lower case letters on the prefixed and suffixed routes, since the ex-Yellows routes use a lower case a, b or c, while the 7s are shown in upper case as 7A, 7B and 7C.

Last edited:

PTR 444

Established Member
Interestingly the 3x (not ex Yellows) uses a lower case suffix too . . .
That is true, and even the same colour on the map as the confusingly unrelated X3 route.

Not to mention that Yellows also had their own 3x route in existence at the same time as Morebus’s.

miklcct

On Moderation
12 - Again, a sensible number for the ex-YB 4 since it shares a common section with the existing route 13.
I think this is a bad choice of number since 12 has traditionally been the open top route between Alum Chine and Boscombe, which has been reused for a completely different purpose in less than a year.

Soundwave

Go South Coast proving yet again why they are one of the better operators about. Introducing an emergency network. Pretty much nailing that first time and then taking time to see how that has bedded in before making sensible tweaks to it.

I imagine the same will happen with Bluestar later in the year.

PTR 444

Established Member
I think this is a bad choice of number since 12 has traditionally been the open top route between Alum Chine and Boscombe, which has been reused for a completely different purpose in less than a year.
I disagree. Times have moved on and while the 12 might have been a good fit for nostalgic purposes, it is IMO much better suited to a suburban route. The route in question is being numbered 80 anyway to fit in with More’s Breezer numbering protocol.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I disagree. Times have moved on and while the 12 might have been a good fit for nostalgic purposes, it is IMO much better suited to a suburban route. The route in question is being numbered 80 anyway to fit in with More’s Breezer numbering protocol.
I tend to agree with you. The 12 may be of significance to transport enthusiasts but to what is a transient holiday crowd (rather than locals)?

Might add that if that’s the greatest issue with such a recast, then they’re probably doing fairly well!