• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Going on a First Class Bash

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJamesBrown

This thursday I have planned a first class bash.
  • Cardiff Central - Crewe on the Arriva Trains Wales Premier Service - What is the food on this service like?
  • Crewe - Birmingham New Street on the 19:01 service - Is this a Pendolino or a Voyager? Also I understand that this a lite bites service, however what alcohol is served on this service?
  • Birmingham New Street - Bristol Parkway on the 20:12 service - Is there a first class provision on this?
  • Finally, the Bristol Parkway - Cardiff Central on the 21:41 service.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
  • Cardiff Central - Crewe on the Arriva Trains Wales Premier Service - What is the food on this service like?
  • Crewe - Birmingham New Street on the 19:01 service - Is this a Pendolino or a Voyager? Also I understand that this a lite bites service, however what alcohol is served on this service?
  • Birmingham New Street - Bristol Temple Meads on the 20:12 service - Is there a first class provision on this?
  • Finally, the Bristol Temple Meads - Cardiff Central on the 21:41 service.

Thanks in advance

I am told the food is excellent on Gerald, as you would expect with Welsh Govt paying for the Premier Service, you wont have any trouble finding a seat.

district

There's first on the BHM to BRI, but I can't find any trains between BRI and CDF at 2141. There are trains at 2119, 2154, 2211 and 2254 I believe.

district

That makes sense!

2141 BPW arriving at CDF 2223 has first class accomadation.

district

Where have you read 'service point seat'? A service point is where a trolley would be kept, or other faclities parked.

wintonian

Established Member
and also have to put up the crew milling around back and forth shuffling coffee pots around.

Too distracting for me.

mralexn

• Birmingham New Street - Bristol Parkway on the 20:12 service - Is there a first class provision on this?
  • Finally, the Bristol Parkway - Cardiff Central on the 21:41 service.

Thanks in advance

From Birmingham, You will have no catering on the 2012, I am led to believe from the amount of times I have got it anyway

Crossover

Established Member

Thanks in advance

According to information on the Frequently Requested Diagrams thread over in the traction section, the 1600 ex Glasgow Central (1901 from Crewe) to Birmingham New Street is booked a Pendo vice Super Voyager - I'd say lucky, others may not.

I have been on services with Lite Bites before and there seemed to be a good choice of drinks- quite a few were having wine. However, given that you are only on from Crewe to New St, the crew will probably be winding down on the final leg of the journey, so how much you'll get offered, I can't guarantee. You could get lucky whereby they want to offload all the leftover items from the journey, as I don't think they can be carried over to another service, so it did once mean me and a friend got told we could have whatever sandwiches we wanted as otherwise they'd go to waste!

MrJamesBrown

According to information on the Frequently Requested Diagrams thread over in the traction section, the 1600 ex Glasgow Central (1901 from Crewe) to Birmingham New Street is booked a Pendo vice Super Voyager - I'd say lucky, others may not.

I have been on services with Lite Bites before and there seemed to be a good choice of drinks- quite a few were having wine. However, given that you are only on from Crewe to New St, the crew will probably be winding down on the final leg of the journey, so how much you'll get offered, I can't guarantee. You could get lucky whereby they want to offload all the leftover items from the journey, as I don't think they can be carried over to another service, so it did once mean me and a friend got told we could have whatever sandwiches we wanted as otherwise they'd go to waste!

Glad that it should be a Pendo...would be nice to see the differences between the two trains.
I doubt I will want too much to eat after the premier service ;)

All Line Rover

Established Member
You can find out more about the food available on the Arriva Premier Service, including pictures, here: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49126. On Thursdays and Fridays this service can (sometimes) get very busy, so it is wise to have a seat reservation.

As others have said, the [19:01] VT service from Crewe to Birmingham is a Pendolino. I consider this to be a good thing, as there are quadruple the number of First Class seats and it is a much more pleasant travelling environment. However, being a Pendolino at that time of the evening does reduce the chance of you being served, so I would sit in Coach K and, if the staff do not take your order within 10 minutes, ask them for the complimentary food and drink. You should be served a Light Bites sandwiches, crisps, cake, tea/coffee, soft drinks and alchohol. (On the [10:01], which is also a Pendolino, staff immediately take your order on departure from Crewe - either for the full English or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs - even though this service starts at Edinburgh, so it is certainly inappropriate to say that staff have usually started to "clear up" by Crewe).

There is no First Class provision on the [20:12] XC service from Birmingham to Bristol, as First Class food is only served on XC until 20:00. However, if there is a Standard Class trolley service, this may continue through to First Class with free drinks and light snacks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I doubt I will want too much to eat after the premier service ;)

Very true! :)
Any idea what a service point seat is?
No worries if you dont

I've never seen staff use that "service point," so I think they are redundant. Staff always get tea/coffee from the kitchen.

MrJamesBrown

You can find out more about the food available on the Arriva Premier Service, including pictures, here: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49126. On Thursdays and Fridays this service can (sometimes) get very busy, so it is wise to have a seat reservation.

Thankyou, that food looks amazing :) what soft drinks were available??

As others have said, the [19:01] VT service from Crewe to Birmingham is a Pendolino. I consider this to be a good thing, as there are quadruple the number of First Class seats and it is a much more pleasant travelling environment. However, being a Pendolino at that time of the evening does reduce the chance of you being served, so I would sit in Coach K and, if the staff do not take your order within 10 minutes, ask them for the complimentary food and drink. You should be served a Light Bites sandwiches, crisps, cake, tea/coffee, soft drinks and alchohol. (On the [10:01], which is also a Pendolino, staff immediately take your order on departure from Crewe - either for the full English or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs - even though this service starts at Edinburgh, so it is certainly inappropriate to say that staff have usually started to "clear up" by Crewe).
As long as I have a drink I am good ;)

There is no First Class provision on the [20:12] XC service from Birmingham to Bristol, as First Class food is only served on XC until 20:00. However, if there is a Standard Class trolley service, this may continue through to First Class with free drinks and light snacks.

I've never seen staff use that "service point," so I think they are redundant. Staff always get tea/coffee from the kitchen.

Are they the places where the water is kept in fridges??

MrJamesBrown

James I think everyone has covered your requests as well as possible,tell us all about it after your journey , I would welcome the numbers in first class on leaving Cardiff.

Bob

Yes of course I will, I was already planning on writing a 'review' of the niceties on offer similar to the one that was linked further up the thread :D
This is one of the reasons why I love this forum so much, because I know that if I have a question it will be answered. I just don't post as much as I should

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

mralexn

on this service there is no trolly after Birmingham

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Yes of course I will, I was already planning on writing a 'review' of the niceties on offer similar to the one that was linked further up the thread :D
This is one of the reasons why I love this forum so much, because I know that if I have a question it will be answered. I just don't post as much as I should

Thanks James, out of interest WAG1 Gerald(the one you will be on) left Cardiff 38 minutes late this evening, almost 50 down at Shrewsbury.
I presume more 57 problems. Hope its on time on Thursday http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/ldbdetails/AM6ik90OgdmJeMJnqYdH#g==

Bob

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
(On the [10:01], which is also a Pendolino, staff immediately take your order on departure from Crewe - either for the full English or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs - even though this service starts at Edinburgh, so it is certainly inappropriate to say that staff have usually started to "clear up" by Crewe).

When I did GLC - STA last year, taking the first service as far as Crewe, by Crewe they were offloading spare supplies onto people who wanted them. That said, it was a booked Super Voyager working which had been set swapped on the previous working, so that could have had an effect on things

MrJamesBrown

6 people from Cardiff, however one is only going to Newport. Currently 13 down in Cardiff due to the 15.55 FGW to London Paddington being Cancelled
James

Status
Not open for further replies.