• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gold Card & Upgrading to first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibbs

I'm sure I read somewhere that as I have an annual gold card I can upgrade to first class for less on off peak transport. Is this right?

I travel fairly regularly from Waterloo to Dorchester on a Friday evening, either returning Sunday or Monday (if a bank holiday). I've always refrained from sitting in first and asking for an upgrade as I don't know how much it will be. By the time the guard has got to me in std the train is usually full (and therefore too much hassle to move) and/or I've forgotten to ask as he shoots by!

Does anyone know how much it would cost me to upgrade? As I travel at quite shoet notice, I usually just buy an anytime offpeak return @ ~£40inc Gold discount.

I remember when I used to go up to Manchester that Virgin used to announce it over the tannoy for £5 at weekends, which was a great deal.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

benk1342

See here:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/first_class_upgrade.html

Do you hold a Gold Card?
Gold Cards may be able to benefit from the Gold Card First Supplement, if they are not travelling on the journey covered by their Annual Gold Card Season Ticket or Travelcard.
Holders of Annual Gold Cards Season Tickets and Travelcards may buy a special First Class upgrade for £5.00 (children £2.50) when travelling on a Standard Class ticket which has received an Annual Gold Card discount.
This allows travel in First Class accommodation on trains within the Network Railcard area on for the date shown on the supplement ticket. If the return journey is made on another day, a further Supplement ticket must be purchased.
On Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays you may travel in First Accommodation by simply paying the supplement.
The Gold Card First Supplement ticket may be used in First Class after 1000 Monday to Friday and at any time on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays. In addition, the Gold Card First Supplement cannot be used on journeys departing from any London terminal station or any intermediate journey between London and Clapham Junction inclusive between 1600 and 1900 (inclusive).
Gold Card First Supplement tickets are not valid for travel on services operated by CrossCountry, East Coast, East Midlands Trains (Mainline), Heathrow Express and Virgin Trains.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Thank you - I googled it but totally couldn't see it.

£10 for an upgrade to First class there and back is a bargain!

But note you can't do it on your normal route and (I think) has to be bought before you join the train.

benk1342

Thank you - I googled it but totally couldn't see it.

£10 for an upgrade to First class there and back is a bargain!

It's not totally clear but I think it may only be £5 for the whole day, based on the part where it says if you are returning on a different day you will need to buy a new supplement.

/EDIT I see now that you said you are returning a different day, so never mind.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But note you can't do it on your normal route and (I think) has to be bought before you join the train.

But, then what does this mean:
On Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays you may travel in First Accommodation by simply paying the supplement.

How is that different from other days?

IanD

Established Member
My experience is that it's £5 for the whole day and can be bought on the train. Certainly Milton Keynes ticket office won't sell it and direct you to the guard.

I think you can upgrade to first on your season's route at weekends (irrelevant to me as my season covered z1-3 rather than a route) but I seem to recall from previous literature that during the week you could only upgrade when not on your season's route.

philjo

Established Member
You can do the upgrade on the normal route covered by your season ticket at weekends. (Mine is FCC so don't bother just to London unless going further e.g. on SWT or FGW!)

I have done the upgrade on SWT at weekends & just paid it to the conductor when he was doing the ticket checks in 1st class. that was £5 for the day so covered both ways. (Passengers without goldcards doing SWT weekend 1st paid £5 each way)

On weekdays you have to purchase a separate ticket to cover the entire journey you are making to be able to do the upgrade.
e.g. I was coming back from Evesham on a weekday & the £5 1st upgrade covered me on the HST to Paddington but not the FCC section from Kings cross as that is the route covered by my season ticket & was also leaving KX in evening peak hour (but FCC 1st class isn't worth it anyway!)

If using FCC or other service without onboard conductors you do have to buy the ticket in advance.

Last edited:

fgwtt1988

As I work for South West Trains in the ticket office I'm sure I can shed some light on all of this!

WEEKEND FIRST CLASS UPGRADE
  • Costs £5 for both Adults and Children.
  • Weekend First Class Upgrade is valid on South West Trans First Class services on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays (subject to availability)
  • Only available for single journeys on the day of travel and can be bought from the Guard by the holder of any valid rail ticket. (For a return you buy a single upgrade on the outward journey and buy another single upgrade on the return journey)
  • Not available for those with Advance or selected special promotions, eg: MegaTrain tickets.
  • Upgrades are not transferable to another passenger or for use on another service.
  • Upgrades will not be discounted for children or Railcard holders.
  • Ugrades may not be available during times of engineering works.

GOLD CARD FIRST SUPPLEMENT

• Costs £5 for Adults, £2.50 for Children
  • Valid for a return journey provided the journey is completed on the same day as the supplement is dated.
  • Gold Card First Supplements are not available on services operated by East Coast, Heathrow Express, East Midlands Trains, Virgin Trains and Cross Country.
  • Should normally be bought before the start of the journey, but where the ticket office is closed they may be purchased on the train.
  • Is only available from 10am Monday to Friday and at any time Weekends and Bank Holidays.
  • Is not valid on trains departing from any London Terminal station, or intermediate stations between London and Clapham Junction inclusive, between 4pm and 7pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays)
  • Is available to Gold Card holders and each accompanying adult or child for whom discounted travel tickets are bought.
  • And finally, the important one!... For Standard Class Gold Card holders, upgrades are not available from Monday to Friday (except bank holidays) wholly or partly over the route covered by the Gold Card season unless a seperate discounted ticket for the whole journey being undertaken has been bought for use by the Gold Card holder.

Hope this clears some stuff up for you!

The Colonel

As I work for South West Trains in the ticket office I'm sure I can shed some light on all of this!

WEEKEND FIRST CLASS UPGRADE
  • Costs £5 for both Adults and Children.
  • Weekend First Class Upgrade is valid on South West Trans First Class services on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays (subject to availability)
  • Only available for single journeys on the day of travel and can be bought from the Guard by the holder of any valid rail ticket. (For a return you buy a single upgrade on the outward journey and buy another single upgrade on the return journey)
  • Not available for those with Advance or selected special promotions, eg: MegaTrain tickets.
  • Upgrades are not transferable to another passenger or for use on another service.
  • Upgrades will not be discounted for children or Railcard holders.
  • Ugrades may not be available during times of engineering works.

GOLD CARD FIRST SUPPLEMENT

• Costs £5 for Adults, £2.50 for Children
  • Valid for a return journey provided the journey is completed on the same day as the supplement is dated.
  • Gold Card First Supplements are not available on services operated by East Coast, Heathrow Express, East Midlands Trains, Virgin Trains and Cross Country.
  • Should normally be bought before the start of the journey, but where the ticket office is closed they may be purchased on the train.
  • Is only available from 10am Monday to Friday and at any time Weekends and Bank Holidays.
  • Is not valid on trains departing from any London Terminal station, or intermediate stations between London and Clapham Junction inclusive, between 4pm and 7pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays)
  • Is available to Gold Card holders and each accompanying adult or child for whom discounted travel tickets are bought.
  • And finally, the important one!... For Standard Class Gold Card holders, upgrades are not available from Monday to Friday (except bank holidays) wholly or partly over the route covered by the Gold Card season unless a seperate discounted ticket for the whole journey being undertaken has been bought for use by the Gold Card holder.

Hope this clears some stuff up for you!

Well put that man - there is a big difference between Weekend First and
Goldcard First Supplement. Was a question in my assesment.

LondonJohn

I have been told that Southern Trains do not do the Gold Card £5 upgraded ticket is this correct.

I have asked for an upgrade a few times and told they do not do them and say for example someone had a Bournemouth-Gatwick Airport ticket and paid a SWT £5 for a Gold Card Upgrade the Southern Guard said this would not be valid on the Southampton or Clapham to Gatwick journey. I have always been told you can stay in First Class but I am not responsible if a RPI boards the train.

John @ home

Established Member
I have been told that Southern Trains do not do the Gold Card £5 upgraded ticket
Do you mean they do not sell these tickets on their trains, or they do not honour these tickets even if purchased prior to travel?

Tibbs

Well my very first trip in first class was a success!

Got my upgrade no problem at the station and was one of 4 in 1st class at the back of coach 5.

Got busy at Southampton when half of the people in the rear carriages trooped forward to the front 5 ready for detachment, but aside from that very peaceful.

It had been mentioned to me how much quieter the Dorchester line is compared to the Exeter line due to electrification, and I really noticed it.

barrykas

Established Member
I have been told that Southern Trains do not do the Gold Card £5 upgraded ticket is this correct.

Gold Card First Supplements are available from ALL Train Companies participating in the Gold Card scheme except CrossCountry, East Coast, East Midlands Trains, Heathrow Express and Virgin Trains, so whoever told you that was misguided (at best).

I have asked for an upgrade a few times and told they do not do them and say for example someone had a Bournemouth-Gatwick Airport ticket and paid a SWT £5 for a Gold Card Upgrade the Southern Guard said this would not be valid on the Southampton or Clapham to Gatwick journey. I have always been told you can stay in First Class but I am not responsible if a RPI boards the train.

There are two different supplements that may be in play here:

South West Trains offer a Weekend First supplement at £5.00 per person per journey. This would not be valid on Southern.

The Gold Card First Supplement (£5.00 Adult, £2.50 Child, valid for Return same day) is valid on Southern.

HTH,

Barry

LondonJohn

Gold Card First Supplements are available from ALL Train Companies participating in the Gold Card scheme except CrossCountry, East Coast, East Midlands Trains, Heathrow Express and Virgin Trains, so whoever told you that was misguided (at best).

There are two different supplements that may be in play here:

South West Trains offer a Weekend First supplement at £5.00 per person per journey. This would not be valid on Southern.

The Gold Card First Supplement (£5.00 Adult, £2.50 Child, valid for Return same day) is valid on Southern.

HTH,

Barry

Interesting as I have been told this a number of occasions. I will try next time and see what happens.

Tibbs

I'm travelling with 3 friends in a couple of weeks and I'm getting them all a discount via my Annual Gold Card.

I'd also like to take advantage of the upgrade for £5 option on London Midland. However the wordins on the website says:

Do you hold a Gold Card?

Gold Cards may be able to benefit from the Gold Card First Supplement, if they are not travelling on the journey covered by their Annual Gold Card Season Ticket or Travelcard.

Holders of Annual Gold Cards Season Tickets and Travelcards may buy a special First Class upgrade for £5.00 (children £2.50) when travelling on a Standard Class ticket which has received an Annual Gold Card discount.

This allows travel in First Class accommodation on trains within the Network Railcard area on for the date shown on the supplement ticket. If the return journey is made on another day, a further Supplement ticket must be purchased.

The Gold Card First Supplement ticket may be used in First Class after 1000 Monday to Friday and at any time on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays. In addition, the Gold Card First Supplement cannot be used on journeys departing from any London terminal station or any intermediate journey between London and Clapham Junction inclusive between 1600 and 1900 (inclusive).

Gold Card First Supplement tickets are not valid for travel on services operated by CrossCountry, East Coast, East Midlands Trains (Mainline), Heathrow Express and Virgin Trains.

Can I buy 1st class upgrades for everyone that's travelling on my discount? The wording isn't clear to say that everyone is eligible, not just me.

Any ideas?

/edit

The line from London Midland is that it's only for the card holder, but other opinions would be welcome!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.