• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good Samaritan at a cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

A good Samaritan who gave shelter to two people following an accident had the roof cut off her car after they started complaining of neck pains

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-20953506

BBC News said:

Good Samaritan's car destroyed after pair given shelter

Firefighters cut the roof off a woman's undamaged car to extract two people she gave shelter to following an accident.

Janice Dunlop narrowly avoided the crash on the A27 near Arundel.

She allowed people from the crash to wait in her car, but they started to complain of neck pains and paramedics needed to move them.

BBC South Today's Sean Killick report

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roverman

So these people owe her a Vectra now because I very much doubt that her insurers will touch this claim with a barge pole. If they were well enough to get in the car then they should have got out the car the same way.

Bungle73

On Moderation
So these people owe her a Vectra now because I very much doubt that her insurers will touch this claim with a barge pole. If they were well enough to get in the car then they should have got out the car the same way.

Not really. It's not been unknown for a person to walk around with a broken neck and not know anything about it. I'm quite sure the emergency services wouldn't have done something so drastic as to remove the roof of the car unless they thought it was absolutely necessary.

Flamingo

Established Member
Ouch! No good deed goes unpunished.

I think in a similar situation, my response would be to tell the paramedics to come up with a plan B, or go to hell.

Bungle73

On Moderation

I think in a similar situation, my response would be to tell the paramedics to come up with a plan B, or go to hell.

And what if there was no "plan B"? You'd put your car above someone else's mobility or life?

AndyLandy

Established Member

Either those responsible for the decision should have the means to "make good" the damage by repairing/replacing her car, or we continue to promote the viewpoint that you shouldn't help those in need. I'd far prefer to see my taxes cover the former...

Flamingo

Established Member
And what if there was no "plan B"? You'd put your car above someone else's mobility or life?

There is always a plan B, and I'd take a lot of convincing that somebody who had managed to walk as far as my car and got in the door suddenly required treating as an unstable spinal injury (as opposed to "We've got our treatment algorithm and we've got to follow it regardless", which is what this smacks of).

Bungle73

On Moderation
Either those responsible for the decision should have the means to "make good" the damage by repairing/replacing her car, or we continue to promote the viewpoint that you shouldn't help those in need. I'd far prefer to see my taxes cover the former...
The emergency services shouldn't have to worry about having to pay out for someone's new car when they're dealing an emergency. That should be paid for the person's insurance.
There is always a plan B.

Really? You think they decided to cut off the roof for what reason.....for the hell of it? As I stated previously they wouldn't have done it unless they thought it was necessary.

Flamingo

Established Member
Really? You think they decided to cut off the roof for what reason.....for the hell of it? As I stated previously they wouldn't have done it unless they thought it was necessary.

I love your confidence (not to say naivety).

Bungle73

On Moderation
I love your confidence (not to say naivety).

Oh really? So what are your qualifications in dealing with a medical emergency that you feel give you the right to second guess the professionals who were there at the time and had to make a difficult decision.

fgwrich

Established Member
Not really. It's not been unknown for a person to walk around with a broken neck and not know anything about it. I'm quite sure the emergency services wouldn't have done something so drastic as to remove the roof of the car unless they thought it was absolutely necessary.

Exactly. When it comes to back and neck injuries, whilst it's always best to stay as straight as possible, its not a good idea to get into the back of a car - your bodies adrenaline can hide potentially serious injuries.

It's one of the reasons why your advised to lie down as keep as straight as possible until you've been checked over by a person of the medical profession, and why you don't end up sitting in the back of Police vehicles at RTCs - Unless you've been checked out and your completely fine.

It's an unfortunate case, but she's only really got herself to blame in the case, especially as she wasn't directly involved in the accident.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
There is always a plan B, and I'd take a lot of convincing that somebody who had managed to walk as far as my car and got in the door suddenly required treating as an unstable spinal injury (as opposed to "We've got our treatment algorithm and we've got to follow it regardless", which is what this smacks of).

Agree totally. If that happened to me, I'd be telling them to politely go away. I highly doubt there was a spinal injury here - they'd been walking around fine before (probably whipcash). The probability is that the c-spine could have been cleared on scene.

Even if the neck couldn't be cleared, you can still get someone out a car without having to take the roof off. There is a growing body of evidence that spinal immobilisation is more detrimental than it is beneficial. Collars and boards are not the answer to everything.

Anon Mouse

Established Member

Didnt a former Man City goalkeeper play a full match with a broken neck in the 1950's?

ReverendFozz

Didnt a former Man City goalkeeper play a full match with a broken neck in the 1950's?

That would Bert Trautmann, in the 1956 FA Cup Final against Birmingham City, he broke his neck with about 17 minutes to go and managed to finish the game, apparantly his neck was visibly crooked as he recieved his medal

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Nick W

Established Member
I'm glad that there's still people in this world that value a person's health over a metal box. I am sad to see many family members that disagree, or indeed believe they know more about dealing with causalities than trained ambulance staff.

I imagine the insurers are debating who should pay instead of whether or not the damage is covered.

Flamingo

Established Member
That would Bert Trautmann, in the 1956 FA Cup Final against Birmingham City, he broke his neck with about 17 minutes to go and managed to finish the game, apparantly his neck was visibly crooked as he recieved his medal

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

They don"t make them like that any more! (my record is playing 40 minutes at tighthead prop with broken ribs - not an experience to be recommended!)

ReverendFozz

They don"t make them like that any more! (my record is playing 40 minutes at tighthead prop with broken ribs - not an experience to be recommended!)

I once went about 15 minutes with a bad neck and back in a rugby match when I was 14, got to the point where I couldnt bend over to get into the scrum and could just say stand on my own 2 feet, not pleasant

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Flamingo

Established Member
I'm glad that there's still people in this world that value a person's health over a metal box. I am sad to see many family members that disagree, or indeed believe they know more about dealing with causalities than trained ambulance staff.

I imagine the insurers are debating who should pay instead of whether or not the damage is covered.

Don't assume people don't know what they are talking about...

455driver

Veteran Member
It's an unfortunate case, but she's only really got herself to blame in the case, especially as she wasn't directly involved in the accident.

I agree,ever since the case in Plymouth of the (off duty) doctor who helped the cardiac arrest victim but broke his ribs doing CPR (easily done) and ended up in court on ABH charges I have been a staunch supporter of "eff all to do with me guvna" and walk away, if they die because you didnt do anything you cant be sued!

Dont you just love Britain where you are damned if you do (help) but fine if you dont.:roll:

Flamingo

Established Member
I agree,ever since the case in Plymouth of the (off duty) doctor who helped the cardiac arrest victim but broke his ribs doing CPR (easily done) and ended up in court on ABH charges I have been a staunch supporter of "eff all to do with me guvna" and walk away, if they die because you didnt do anything you cant be sued!

Dont you just love Britain where you are damned if you do (help) but fine if you dont.:roll:

I was always under the impression this was an urban myth...

Bungle73

On Moderation
I was always under the impression this was an urban myth...

Most probably, welcome the wonderful world of rumour and misinformation.

And how heartless and can you be to be more concerned about "getting sued" than actually helping someone who might even die if you don't.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I know maybe a little off topic, but it seems most people adopt the "nowt to do with me" attituide and its very sad and shows a decline in society. As an example yesterday we witnessed a group of Girls surrounding a poor girl on the floor getting viciously assaulted by non stop blows to her face by another girl in the middle of Eldon Square (the actual square, not inside the mall) and everybody was just looking on (including a group of lads who were finding it funny). We were a bit too far away to even attempt to try and stop it....thankfully a Security Guy sprinted over and broke it up. It shocked by me and the Wife who found it quite distressing. Nobody cares and the ones who are interested see others misfortune entertainment. Is this what we have became?

Bungle73

On Moderation
What if I injure the casualty?

A person who administers First Aid will only be liable for damages if negligent intervention directly causes injury which would not otherwise have occurred, or if it exacerbates an injury.

If First Aid is administered inappropriately or negligently and a consequential injury can be proved to have arisen from that procedure, a First Aider may be held liable for substantial damages if the standard of care he employed fell below that which could be expected of him in the given circumstances. This applies whether they are a healthcare professional, a non-professional volunteer first-aider, or simply an unskilled member of the general public.

For example, if a person inappropriately administered chest compressions where a casualty was not in cardiac arrest, which caused damage to the chest wall or underlying organs, they would be causing damage which would not otherwise have been suffered and, given that the casualty was not in need of emergency resuscitation, would by his intervention be leaving them in a worse position.

If, however, CPR is performed on a casualty in cardiac arrest, It is difficult to see how a persons intervention could leave someone worse off since a victim would, without immediate resuscitation, certainly die. Furthermore, if an AED is being used, it will only permit the administration of a defibrillatory shock when it detects a shockable rhythm and, since patients in this state are clinically dead, it is unlikely that any intervention with this device could make the situation worse.

http://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/dutyofcare/

theboywho

Unfortunately many in the UK choose to sue as a result of incidents that were merely accidents in the past.

The same peoeple then complain about 'red-tape' or 'health and safety gone mad'.

We can't have it both ways!

michael769

Established Member
Network Q have kindly donated a replacement second hand car for the samaritan.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Glad to hear she's got a replacement.

As an aside, about the legal side of things, no layperson has ever or will ever be sued or charged for doing chest compressions. No layperson or first aider (unless specifically contracted) have a duty of care to help anyone in need. The only people who do have a duty of care are healthcare professionals who are identified as such. That's why whenever someone falls over every HCP slinks away in the hope they haven't been seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.