• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Got a day to kill in Brighton, ideas by train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Start of April. Been to Seaford (nice seaside town) - where else could be recommended by train?
Hope to have time to do the Volks railway (if open) and then...??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Chichester - historic cathedral city, via Littlehampton and a side trip to Bognor, both of which still has semaphore signals. (Corrected)
Or Rye, stopping off at Hastings (the old bits are nice) and/or Lewes.

Last edited:

Mathieu

A Southern Daysave ticket may interest you if you plan on going on quite a few Southern trains.

Howardh

Established Member
A Southern Daysave ticket may interest you if you plan on going on quite a few Southern trains.
Thanks for that, £20; will consider that alongside booking tickets with a railcard. Could it get me to Ryde/Sandown including ferry, or am I being a bit far-fetched with that one?!

Edit - no as IOW is island trains. That day ticket could get me to Portsmouth (I think) but adding the ferry + Ryde esplanade or Sandown ret makes it more expensive than Brighton - Ryde esplanade @ 26.40 ret with railcard (I think...)

£26.40 gets me Brighton - Ryde Esp; £28.70 to Sandown.

Last edited:

Mathieu

Thanks for that, £20; will consider that alongside booking tickets with a railcard. Could it get me to Ryde/Sandown including ferry, or am I being a bit far-fetched with that one?!

Edit - no as IOW is island trains. That day ticket could get me to Portsmouth (I think) but adding the ferry + Ryde esplanade or Sandown ret makes it more expensive than Brighton - Ryde esplanade @ 26.40 ret with railcard (I think...)

£26.40 gets me Brighton - Ryde Esp; £28.70 to Sandown.
Southern Daysave is only valid on any Southern train. Also keep in mind this ticket has to be purchased a few days in advance online, can't be bought on the day.

Aictos

Established Member
Chichester - historic cathedral city, via Littlehampton and a side trip to Bognor, both of which still IIRC have semaphore signals.
Or Rye, stopping off at Hastings (the old bits are nice) and/or Lewes.

Umm are you absolutely sure about the semaphores?

Last I heard, the ones at Littlehampton got replaced with MAS signalling and indeed Open Train Times also reflects this.

DCFE9104-CE3D-4066-A0A7-F27F47345078.png

3C2816F9-A13C-4BA0-A7BD-A55FE87ADA76.png

Aictos

Established Member
I'm behind the times then. Sorry.

No worries, I don't know if Bognor Regis will lose their semaphones but I feel that is a topic for another day.

It might be a tad further but has the OP ever been to Hastings?

Howardh

Established Member
No worries, I don't know if Bognor Regis will lose their semaphones but I feel that is a topic for another day.

It might be a tad further but has the OP ever been to Hastings?
Very long time ago - possibly for a county cricket match (Sussex outground?) in the early 80's?? If i were down there in later April I'd find a cricket game, but I like the sound of the I O W for a few hours, not been there since 1968. Think - and someone will correct me - the old tube stock is still trundling along, but it's to be replaced by less old tube stock. Might be my last chance...

ChrisC

Established Member
If you are looking for a very long train journey for a very reasonable price you could go all the way along the coast to Bournemouth, Poole or even as far as Weymouth. Only £18 for an Off Peak Day Return with a railcard from Brighton via Barnham and just one change of train at Southampton.

Howardh

Established Member
If you are looking for a very long train journey for a very reasonable price you could go all the way along the coast to Bournemouth, Poole or even as far as Weymouth. Only £18 for an Off Peak Day Return with a railcard from Brighton via Barnham and just one change of train at Southampton.
Sounds good but I want to be back for fiveish, and Poole is in my summer to do list, I'll be having a break down there soon. Viruses permitting...

Veteran Member
I like the sound of the I O W for a few hours, not been there since 1968. Think - and someone will correct me - the old tube stock is still trundling along, but it's to be replaced by less old tube stock. Might be my last chance...
Just check they have at least one set running before you leave. It's not unknown for one of the sets to be stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.