• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

got a job interview tuesday for northern rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

boro10

hell guys and girls got a interview with northern on Tuesday could anyone give me any advice ?

also in the email I received to confirm my interview I had attached work uniform order forms to fill out before my interview , is this normal for northern ? just never had anything like that do to before a interview so found it slightly strange

thanks in advance for any advice its much appreciated :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

red2005

Be yourself and make sure you've done plenty of research on the role and the company and you'll be fine!:)

Andrew32

As above really.

What role is it for?

Alot of the interview will be example based, give us an example of when you've given good customer service or solved a difficult situation.

Do your research on the company as they will want to guage your understanding of northern itself.

Regarding uniform, this is quite normal, if your successful they have the info at hand to order your uniform already as it takes time to come through.

Once you get to 5 posts inbox me.

CatfordCat

Alot of the interview will be example based, give us an example of when you've given good customer service or solved a difficult situation.

while I've no experience of Northern Rail, I'd say be ready for this.

May be worth a bit of web searching on "competency based interviews" which a lot of transport organisations now use.

i.e. rather than the more traditional "what would you do if X happened" sort of question, the questions are often now "give an example of a time you did X"

Re-read the stuff in the job advert / description / person spec (or whatever you saw before you applied) and if they have listed skills / experience they are looking for, then think in advance about a good example you can use for each one - trying to think of one during the interview is less good.

If it's a customer facing role, then things like dealing with difficult / challenging customers, providing good customer service, dealing with multiple and conflicting demands are likely to come up. As (depending on the role) may following rules / procedures, reacting to emergencies, something safety related - e.g. dealing with a safety related incident / potential incident. And either team working, or working on your own (or maybe both.)

May be worth researching the 'STAR' concept here - Situation, Task, Action, Result (i.e. quick description of the overall Situation? What was the Task that YOU did? What Action did YOU take? What was the Result?) - and they may also ask what you learned from the experience, and / or what you would do differently another time.

Bear in mind that the 'situation' bit is about the organisation / team, but for the task / action bits this is largely about you as an individual.

At its best, it's little more than talking about your past work experience. (and don't forget that if you have gained any of the relevant skills either through study, voluntary work or caring responsibilities, these can be just as valid as examples in your past employment.)

Some interviewers are more flexible than others here - some will happily accept a couple of examples, some will accept an answer based on "I've not done something that exactly fits your description, but I have a lot of experience doing something very similar" (and then describe that.)

At its worst can consist of very narrow questions asked by someone who knows nothing about the job, and if you don't use all the right buzzwords (right in this concept being the ones they have written down already) then you are likely not to pass.

Hope all goes well.

boro10

thanks everyone its for a train cleaning job ( night shifts ) anyone know what hours are night shifts like start time /finish time ?

darren111

I was a temp Train Presentation Operative (Nights) at Leeds station during Tour De France. Your shift will start at 8pm till 6am. You will do 7 nights on and have 7 nights off.
There are 2 night shift teams, so whilst you are off during your 7 nights off, other team will be working. At Leeds the shifts run from Thursday to Wednesday.
Booking holidays are great according to permanent staff, because if you book a weeks holiday in between weeks you are not working, you would have 3 weeks off altogether.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I am sure you are aware that you will get a night shift allowance on top of your salary.

Wolf

They will likely use an example based interview. I not sure what kind of questions they wud ask for this role , possibly about times when you have dealt with customers face to face or handled levels of responsibly because I suppose they need people who have a responsible attitude because working on any depot is technically a dangerous environment and anyone working on a depot must be ppe trained and act responsibly around train movements. Have a good look at the info they sent you and practice answering example based questions. With regards to the uniform it's usually comes through in bits when when u start, a company up near Newcastle is responsible for it I believe.

Nevillehill

thanks everyone its for a train cleaning job ( night shifts ) anyone know what hours are night shifts like start time /finish time ?

What depot are you working at?

Don't forget to wear shirt and tie, and shoes are nice and clean, get yourself down to Greenwoods for some nice clobber.

"Dress to Impress"
while I've no experience of Northern Rail, I'd say be ready for this.

May be worth a bit of web searching on "competency based interviews" which a lot of transport organisations now use.

i.e. rather than the more traditional "what would you do if X happened" sort of question, the questions are often now "give an example of a time you did X"

Re-read the stuff in the job advert / description / person spec (or whatever you saw before you applied) and if they have listed skills / experience they are looking for, then think in advance about a good example you can use for each one - trying to think of one during the interview is less good.

If it's a customer facing role, then things like dealing with difficult / challenging customers, providing good customer service, dealing with multiple and conflicting demands are likely to come up. As (depending on the role) may following rules / procedures, reacting to emergencies, something safety related - e.g. dealing with a safety related incident / potential incident. And either team working, or working on your own (or maybe both.)

May be worth researching the 'STAR' concept here - Situation, Task, Action, Result (i.e. quick description of the overall Situation? What was the Task that YOU did? What Action did YOU take? What was the Result?) - and they may also ask what you learned from the experience, and / or what you would do differently another time.

Bear in mind that the 'situation' bit is about the organisation / team, but for the task / action bits this is largely about you as an individual.

At its best, it's little more than talking about your past work experience. (and don't forget that if you have gained any of the relevant skills either through study, voluntary work or caring responsibilities, these can be just as valid as examples in your past employment.)

Some interviewers are more flexible than others here - some will happily accept a couple of examples, some will accept an answer based on "I've not done something that exactly fits your description, but I have a lot of experience doing something very similar" (and then describe that.)

At its worst can consist of very narrow questions asked by someone who knows nothing about the job, and if you don't use all the right buzzwords (right in this concept being the ones they have written down already) then you are likely not to pass.

Hope all goes well.

Buzzwords!
Buzzwords

These applications don't get easy, can someone explain the meaning thanks.

Last edited:

Nevillehill

Nevillehill,
Do you have an interview for TPO at Nevillehill?

Yes this Thursday, don't know how I got through the online application, I reckon working temp for the Tour de France helped.

Don't know how I will get through the interview lol

darren111

Yes this Thursday, don't know how I got through the online application, I reckon working temp for the Tour de France helped.

Don't know how I will get through the interview lol

Well done mate. Working for Tour de France and being on the books of NRG, would have helped. I didnt apply because of the low salary but hey, thats less competition for you.
You will get through interview stay positive, do your homework and just blow them away on your interview. Sell yourself and give them the wow factor x

Status
Not open for further replies.