• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gothenburg zonal ticket system

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK Tom

Established Member
I'm planning a day trip to Gothenburg and I'm having a nightmare of a time trying to figure out the Vasttrafik website. Is there a single day ticket I can get that will cover travel to/from the airport and trams around the city? Basically all I really want to do is go into the city, ride some trams, have a look around and come back! I'd like to know what tickets I need for that and what it'll cost.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. They don't seem to have a simple zonal fares map anywhere on their site!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I believe not, when I was last there in Oct 14 the airport bus (in britspeak) is a 'premium' product and is outside the local bus/tram tariff structure. But you can get a day card covering the centre of Gothenburg once you are there from the local newsagents (Pressbyran). Be warned that, like London, buses don't sell tickets: most locals get tickets via SMSs sent to their phones but this doesn't work for non Swedish phones. So you have to use the Pressbyran.

Blillpers

The airport coach is run by a separate company so it isn't included in the Västtrafik travel cards. I'm not sure, but it's likely that you could catch a "normal" bus from the airport to the nearest rail station and go into Göteborg (proper Swedish spelling!) that way.

Otherwise my suggestion would be to take the airport coach to the central station and then go to the Västtrafik ticket office (located in the bus terminal next ot the rail station, not the main ticket office in the station) and buy your day travel card there.

There are three different day travel cards, Göteborg, Göteborg+, ++, +++ and the "region travel card". The basic one is only valid within the city. If you are only going to travel on the trams and buses one of the cheaper ones should be enough. I'm not sure about the zones, but I think the tramway extends beyound the central zone. They are priced at between 85 and 250 swedish kronor for one day (7-20 £). The "region travel card" covers the entire region and is good if you are planning to do a rail trip, as it's valid on all trains except the high speed services towards Malmö and Stockholm. That one is 315 sek (26£).

:)

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
Warning:
Public transport in Gothenburg isn’t too expensive. A typical city centre journey will cost you around 25 SEK. It’s not worth trying to avoid paying – the fine is a hefty 1200 SEK and checks are conducted randomly by packs of security guards.

The Göteborg City Card
The Göteborg City Card is available for 24-, 48- and 72-hours during high season and you activate it by filling in date and time on the card. During the period October 1 - April 30, the Göteborg City Card is only available as a 48 hour card. Price: adult SEK 335.

City Card for children

Children are defined as up to and including the age of 16 (i.e. under 17). City Cards for children can only be ordered and used together with an adult Göteborg City Card. You can order a maximum of four child cards per adult card. City Cards for children are only available for families and not for school classes and youth groups.

How do I buy a Göteborg City Card?

A Göteborg City Card can be ordered online at goteborg.com/citycard. When ordering a City Card online, the agreement concerning the purchase is binding once the order is placed and a confirmation has been sent out. The order confirmation is sent to the email address you have provided. Please check that all information in the order confirmation is correct and contact us immediately if you notice any errors.

Price

All prices for the Göteborg City Card can be found at goteborg.com/citycard and are given in Swedish crowns (SEK) including any VAT. There is a delivery charge for cards sent by post.

Payment

Payment of your Göteborg City Card occurs when you place your order. Göteborg & Co only accept payment with VISA or MasterCard. There are no extra fees for paying by credit card.

Delivery of your Göteborg City Card

There is a fee for delivery of your Göteborg City Card. Your card is sent to the address you provided when you placed your order. Delivery time within Sweden is 1-3 working days after you have placed your order. Delivery time outside Sweden is up to 10 working days. We therefore recommend that you order your Göteborg City Card well in advance before you intend to start using it.

You can also choose to collect your Göteborg City Card from one of Gothenburg’s Tourist Information Centres, in which case you pay no delivery fee. To collect your Göteborg City Card, please print out and bring with you your order confirmation. For addresses and opening times, see ‘Gothenburg Tourist Centre’.

Cancellations and refunds

According to Swedish law (Distans- och hemförsäljningslagen, 2005:59) you have the right to cancel your purchase within 14 days after receiving your Göteborg City Card. To exercise your right to a cancellation and refund you must notify us within the 14-day period. You can contact us by email [[email protected]] or by telephone [+46 (0)31-368 42 00].

Any returns are to be sent to Göteborg & Co at address [Göteborg & Co, Mässans gata 8, 412 51 Göteborg, Sweden]. Please write ‘City Card’ on the envelope. Cards must be complete and unused. Any costs for returning cards will not be refunded by Göteborg & Co. After Göteborg & Co has received the cards and approved the return, the refund will be made within 30 days to the bank account you have stated.

Personal information

When you purchase a Göteborg City Card, you will be asked to provide some personal information, such as name, email address, postal address and telephone number. Your information is used by Göteborg & Co to administer your purchase of a Göteborg City Card and will not be shared with any unauthorised party.

According to Swedish law (Personuppgiftslagen, 1998:204), you have the right to see what information we have recorded about you. If such information is wrong, incomplete or irrelevant, you can request that the information is corrected or removed. In such cases, please contact Göteborg & Co. Your details may be used by Göteborg & Co to send you information in the future and as part of anonymous summary statistics. By ordering your Göteborg City Card online at goteborg.com/citycard you agree that Göteborg & Co can use your personal information in the way described above.

Contact

For general questions about the Göteborg City Card, please contact Gothenburg Tourist Information Centre via email [[email protected]], or telephone [+46 (0)31-368 42 00]. If you have any questions regarding the product Göteborg City Card or concerning how we handle your personal information, please contact Göteborg & Co via email [[email protected]], or telephone [+46 (0)31-368 40 00].

Gothenburg Tourist Centre +46 31 368 42 00 [email protected]

MK Tom

Established Member
The airport coach is run by a separate company so it isn't included in the Västtrafik travel cards. I'm not sure, but it's likely that you could catch a "normal" bus from the airport to the nearest rail station and go into Göteborg (proper Swedish spelling!) that way.

Otherwise my suggestion would be to take the airport coach to the central station and then go to the Västtrafik ticket office (located in the bus terminal next ot the rail station, not the main ticket office in the station) and buy your day travel card there.

There are three different day travel cards, Göteborg, Göteborg+, ++, +++ and the "region travel card". The basic one is only valid within the city. If you are only going to travel on the trams and buses one of the cheaper ones should be enough. I'm not sure about the zones, but I think the tramway extends beyound the central zone. They are priced at between 85 and 250 swedish kronor for one day (7-20 £). The "region travel card" covers the entire region and is good if you are planning to do a rail trip, as it's valid on all trains except the high speed services towards Malmö and Stockholm. That one is 315 sek (26£).

:)

Yeah the airport website showed the coach service and a Vasttrafik local bus - I was wondering if I could get the regional ticket from the airport and use that? The coach seems to require advance booking which troubles me as you never know if your flight might arrive late.

What I'm looking to do is ride the trams in the city centre and possibly take a boat trip if there's time, as I understand the boats form part of the same ticketing system much like the ones I rode in Olso did.

Blillpers

That's correct. If I remember it correctly you take tram line 11 to Saltholmen and a boat from there. That will take you a few miles out to sea and offer some nice views of the many small islands. Otherwise you also have the "Älvsnabben" which is a local ferry that goes up and down the Göta älv river in the city centre. You get some nice views of the city, but I would go for the longer-distance ferries from Saltholmen if I were you.

MK Tom

Established Member
I only have 6 hours or so though. It'd be really helpful to see a map of where the various ticket zones actually are, so I can see which trams/boats/buses/trains I can ride with each one!

MK Tom

Established Member
That's brilliant, thank you!

Now I just need to figure out if I can travel to/from the airport on Vasttrafik buses and use the same ticket to ride the trams and boats!

sheff1

Established Member
The coach seems to require advance booking which troubles me as you never know if your flight might arrive late.

If you coming into Landvetter airport there is no need to book the coach in advance. There is a ticket machine at the stop.

Don't know about City airport as I have never used it.

WestCoast

Established Member
If you coming into Landvetter airport there is no need to book the coach in advance. There is a ticket machine at the stop.

Don't know about City airport as I have never used it.

Gothenburg City Airport recently closed to commercial flights, all flights depart now from Landvetter.

TheEscapist_

I used the express coach from city airport (Flygbus(?)) I think it was. Did advance book but didn't have to select a time, just a date. You print your ticket and scan the qr code on board. The driver was also selling tickets. That was two years ago though.

MK Tom

Established Member
Can anyone confirm for me how far the basic city zone day ticket is valid on the trams/boats/trains? A zonal map would be really helpful! Thanks.

dutchflyer

Established Member
In SE these are nearly always identical to the official boundaries of the cities''kommuner'' (local council for you). This also to have them pay for travel inside those areas. They are often much larger as the neat built-up city-limits where special traffic rules may apply. However, from what I remember for the trams some lines go to M"olndal and that is another council.
Note that what groningen copies here is a CITY TOURIST pass, which includes more as just local transport-for transport only visit the Vasttrafik and buy on the spot. THis may explain the different prices. Its should in principle be possible to buy somewhere at airprot-most likely also the Pressbyran- (thats the svenska WHSMith) BUT then you would also need the local Oyster-lookalike smartcard first.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Yes, it's not based on zones, it's based on local authority areas.

Göteborg (i.e. local authority area)
28 SEK single
85 SEK day ticket

Source single: https://www.vasttrafik.se/#!/biljetter-priser/enkelbiljett/enkelbiljett-forsaljningsstalle/

Source day ticket: https://www.vasttrafik.se/#!/biljetter-priser/turist---besokskort/endygnsbiljett/

Göteborg + 1 (Ale Södra, Göteborg, Helenedal, Härryda Väst [West], Kungälv, Mölndal, Partille and Öckerö local authority areas)

40 SEK single
125 SEK day ticket

Source single: journey planner on Västtrafik website

Source day ticket: https://www.vasttrafik.se/#!/biljetter-priser/turist---besokskort/endygnsbiljett/

You can use this ticket to/from Härryda, 3 km from the airport, but there don't appear to be any local buses to/from the airport itself. From Härryda you can reach Göteborg by bus to Landsvetter (a town, not the airport), then by train, it takes about 40 minutes.

Airport bus (every 15 minutes, takes 30 minutes)

95 SEK one-way
185 SEK return

Source: http://www.flygbussarna.se/Landvetter

Swebus (every 2 hours or so, runs between Göteborg and Stockholm via airport)

59 SEK one-way, non-amendable, non-refundable
69 SEK one-way, amendable, non-refundable
89 SEK one-way, amendable, refundable

Source: swebus.se

The airport website states that these are the two bus lines which serve the airport: http://www.swedavia.se/landvetter/till-fran/buss/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.