• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Govia Thameslink Notice Of Intention To Prosecute

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyMateMorris

Hi All,

About a month ago I was caught evading a fare from Epsom to Horsham. I purchased a ticket from Epsom - Ashtead (first station after Epsom) then planned on purchasing another ticket from Little Haven to Horsham (first station before Horsham). In addition to this, I had a 16-17 saver card that had expired the week before as I had just turned 18 and had genuinely forgotten to remove it from my Train-line account. It’s a stupid mistake and I should have just purchased a ticket from Epsom to Horsham. I’m a student though and just didn’t really think about any of the consequences that would follow if I was caught. But hay hoe we move. Lessons are learned.

So yesterday I received the Notice Of Intention To Prosecute in the post. This was concerning, to begin with however from what I’ve read on here already it’s not as bad as it sounds. (Correct me if I’m wrong)

My question to you is what should I do next. I plan on replying to the letter it’s just how do I go about it.

Stupidly, when being questioned about the situation I said my intentions weren’t to evade the fair, my plans just changed while I was on the train and I planned to get a new ticket if I saw a conductor. However, I’d much rather be honest about the whole thing but not sure if that’s the best idea. I don't think the issue is with the 16-17 saver card as it wasn't listed in the alleged offenses.

Any help will be much appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Welcome to the forum. I will refer you to the excellent advice given on previous occasions to posters in similar circumstances by @Hadders:
You might want to include the following in your reply:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Make sure your reply is short and concise, don't give a sob story - they've heard it all before. Most train companies are usually prepared to offer an administrative settlement (commonly known as an out of court settlement) for people who engage with the process and who haven't come to their attention before. There is no guarantee of this and the train company would be well within their rights to prosecute you in the magistrates court.
I doubt that explaining that you said one thing while doing another will make any difference to the outcome, and you can word your letter to avoid either case.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi All,

About a month ago I was caught evading a fare from Epsom to Horsham. I purchased a ticket from Epsom - Ashtead (first station after Epsom) then planned on purchasing another ticket from Little Haven to Horsham (first station before Horsham). In addition to this, I had a 16-17 saver card that had expired the week before as I had just turned 18 and had genuinely forgotten to remove it from my Train-line account. It’s a stupid mistake and I should have just purchased a ticket from Epsom to Horsham. I’m a student though and just didn’t really think about any of the consequences that would follow if I was caught. But hay hoe we move. Lessons are learned.

So yesterday I received the Notice Of Intention To Prosecute in the post. This was concerning, to begin with however from what I’ve read on here already it’s not as bad as it sounds. (Correct me if I’m wrong)

My question to you is what should I do next. I plan on replying to the letter it’s just how do I go about it.

Stupidly, when being questioned about the situation I said my intentions weren’t to evade the fair, my plans just changed while I was on the train and I planned to get a new ticket if I saw a conductor. However, I’d much rather be honest about the whole thing but not sure if that’s the best idea. I don't think the issue is with the 16-17 saver card as it wasn't listed in the alleged offenses.

Any help will be much appreciated
As a student, you may be able to access some extra practical help via your Student Union welfare office / advice service too - which may be worth asking them about (eg they may check any replies you need to send etc).

skyhigh

Established Member
Stupidly, when being questioned about the situation I said my intentions weren’t to evade the fair, my plans just changed while I was on the train and I planned to get a new ticket if I saw a conductor.
They will likely check your trainline account, and will notice if you've made a habit of this.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum!

The advice I normally give in these situations has already been linked to and I suggest following it when writing your reply. Feel free to post a copy of your draft reply in this thread and I'm sure forum members will be happy to proof read. It would also help if you could post a copy of the letter you have received with personal details redacted.

To be clear this is a serious matter and the train company would be within their rights to prosecute you in the Magistrates Court. Hopefully this can be avoided but it is important that you send a suitable reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.