• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gpr roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

iWantIn

Sup people. I recently got a job for SWT the title has GPR in it. i phoned them up and the explained that it basically means that i will not have a 3 week rotating rota. more like 1.

Is anyone else on here a GPR? if so how does your rota look? how many days back to back do you work? how many days off do u get....

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

choo~choo

General Purpose Relief is usually used to cover others annual leave and sickness.. Not sure what your job will be tho..

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The GPR's where I used to work were usually to cover for A/L an dknown absences such as sickness, jury service and training, though they could also be utilised to add additional resource for special events.

As such, they usually found out what they would be working the following week on a Wednesday or Thursday. The GPR staff were usally rostered in a similar way to the rota staff - they would cover vacant turns for the entire week where possible and would pick up the R/D's for that turn.

Efforts were made to give them the same long weekends as other staff, and the same numbe rof days off overall, but of course, some liked to work overtime anyway. Naturally the usual rules about breaks between turns were applied as well.

BHXDMT

The two posts above sum it up pretty well. I'm GPR with another TOC, and whilst I don't know what role you are GPR for or what your contracted hours are, this is my experience so far;

Essentially, as stated, the role is to cover Annual Leave and other planned absences. Wherever possible I get a full 35 hour week, although currently I am 'spare' (i.e. no absence or leave to be covered) so I am assisting at one of the two stations that I cover.

My roster is planned on a weekly basis, with the roster out every Thursday so if it's the same where you are they are indeed correct that you will only find out on a weekly basis what your next weeks hours are. I work 5 x 7 hour shifts a week where possible, for a 35 hour week, so I get two days off somewhere in that week. It entirely depends what I am rostered to cover as to what days off I will get - this week I have Sun/Sat, next week is Sun/Wed.

It might be possible to work out where you'll be covering if you have a plan of your colleagues Annual Leave - I, for example, know there are 4 weeks Annual Leave coming up soon so will likely be covering their rosters for those weeks. It's not 100% set in stone but it's quite easy to work out where you'll be needed.

Again I can't comment for your TOC, but as GPR I don't work Sundays unless I am asked and agree to them. It's nice to have one day a week I can plan something around! I think that is the limit of what I can say about my GPR experience - I'm still relatively new to the industry and this position, so I'm sure others may have more to input!

Last edited:

iWantIn

Thank you all for the replies. From what im hearing and have read, GPR's rota is the worst. you can only plan ahead for 1 week whereas others who are not GPR's get a 3week roster, and long off days back to back within those turns.

Ah well. At least im in now. i can always change roles after 6months if im still with em.

Once again thank you all for the reply.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Where I worked the GPR roels were entry level. That is, they were the junior positions on the link. When someone was sacked, resigned or got promoted, the a GPR relief took their place until a replacement was recruited. Absences were covered on overtime or by spares (or left unflled) until a replacement was recruited.

So it was only temporary, and as we had a high turnover of staff, I don't remember any oen individual being on GPR for more than about 4 months.

iWantIn

Greenback...hmmm my contract is a permanent one ( im assuming because it does not say temp.) i start on monday so ill find out then...To be honest with you i just want to be a train driver lol...thats what im after i wont lie. i need that.

So what position do you currently hold?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Greenback...hmmm my contract is a permanent one ( im assuming because it does not say temp.) i start on monday so ill find out then...To be honest with you i just want to be a train driver lol...thats what im after i wont lie. i need that.

So what position do you currently hold?

I no longer work in the rail industry! I was in the booking office/information desk/travel centre. All of the GPR's I can remember were permanent, they simply moved into the proper links when there was a vacancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.