• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Graduate stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Whilst I would broadly agree I would argue that the purpose of University is to study and to learn how to think for yourself, not just to get an education or a pass mark for a job. Most peoples degrees have nothing to do with the job they end up doing, they still need to learn on the job, and that goes for accountants, not just people who did Peace Studies or Multi Media Studies. .

I concur that in order to survive at University you do have to quickly learn to think for yourself, whether that's in terms of lectures or learning how to budget or even how to eat properly. My wife and I made sure that when our little blighters headed off to University that they could at least cook simple meals, sort out their laundry and get used to life in a lecture theatre! We also agreed to pay for their accommodation and make a monthly transfer for modest living expenses. However the monthly transfer amount was set in stone and we made it clear that we would not pay for 'Leo Sayers' or anything approaching that. I have to say that I've been impressed with their budgeting skills and their work ethic, including getting part time jobs.

However, surely studying and an education go hand in hand? My point about trying to avoid Hobby Degrees is that you are far more likely to get a job with a Degree in say Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering than a degree in Countryside Management. I've got a Degree in Physics and yet I've not been in a laboratory since I finished University but it did help me get a job as a currency trader.

I would also agree that in many circumstances you still need to learn on the job. I'm prepared to admit here that I retired at 35 with the intention of having a three year break to help bring up our children and study to become an accountant. Having done that and landed a job I then had to do an awful lot of learning on the job! I would also say and agree that being happy and well counts for an awful lot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
I would say that my degree (in transport management) was incredibly helpful in getting me into the rail industry, and nigh on essential in keeping me within the transport industry at large.

However I also continue to hold the view that probably the most valuable aspect of my degree was the opportunities it gave me to gain experience of working in the transport sector - I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have done nearly so well on coming out of University without that range of prior experience.

ASharpe

I graduated with a degree is Physics and after I started applying for jobs I decided I'd go back and do a PhD. For the jobs I was interested in doing back then it would have been helpful for career progression (but not essential by any means).

But now I'm at the end of my PhD I realised that sat at a desk all day analysing data and report writing isn't for me - only the most junior researchers spend their days in the lab.

But I did enjoy the few hours per week teaching I do at the university so I decided to become a secondary school physics teacher. I spent some time in schools and really enjoyed it. So from September I'll be a teacher. And fortunately I don't have to spend any more time at a university, I'm doing the on the job training.

Last edited:

gswindale

One other thing worth mentioning is time keeping. For many years I worked as a currency trader and was at my desk by 06.00 in the morning, even as a 22 year old. I'm 49 this year and so have been around bit but we still expect our staff to be at their desks by 08.30 and to have had a decent nights sleep. That's not too much to ask is it?
Well I'm glad I don't work for your company then!

I'm generally in the office by twenty five past eight for a 9am start; however there are times when it is unavoidable that you would be late - what is your verdict on someone who gets caught in a traffic jam every so often?

With regards to a decent night's sleep - again whilst good in theory; it isn't always possible due to circumstances outside your own control!

I must also take exception to your comments about those who have worked very hard to get a 2:2 degree. I was borderline 2:2 / 2:1 at the end of my first year. Due to an accident and not really getting the applied side of the course in 2nd year; I scrapped through to the final year by the skin of my teeth. By then picking modules that were interesting and by studying; I was able to graduate with a quite comfortable 2:2 in the end despite the fact that the entire year group took extra lectures to get to grips with one module due to the poor performance of a specific lecturer.

If your company is so arrogant as to only look at the bit of paper given to students; then one day it will come a cropper.

For what it is worth; my mathematics degree has helped with my analytic skills which help in my role dealing with both accounts and database management.

fowler9

Established Member
I concur that in order to survive at University you do have to quickly learn to think for yourself, whether that's in terms of lectures or learning how to budget or even how to eat properly. My wife and I made sure that when our little blighters headed off to University that they could at least cook simple meals, sort out their laundry and get used to life in a lecture theatre! We also agreed to pay for their accommodation and make a monthly transfer for modest living expenses. However the monthly transfer amount was set in stone and we made it clear that we would not pay for 'Leo Sayers' or anything approaching that. I have to say that I've been impressed with their budgeting skills and their work ethic, including getting part time jobs.

However, surely studying and an education go hand in hand? My point about trying to avoid Hobby Degrees is that you are far more likely to get a job with a Degree in say Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering than a degree in Countryside Management. I've got a Degree in Physics and yet I've not been in a laboratory since I finished University but it did help me get a job as a currency trader.

I would also agree that in many circumstances you still need to learn on the job. I'm prepared to admit here that I retired at 35 with the intention of having a three year break to help bring up our children and study to become an accountant. Having done that and landed a job I then had to do an awful lot of learning on the job! I would also say and agree that being happy and well counts for an awful lot.

I probably/definitely worded it badly. I suppose I am of the opinion that when people say "getting an education" they mean getting a pass mark for a job. University should be more, it has very much turned in to a pass mark for pretty poor office/call centre jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.