• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central £15 Withdrawn???

Status
Not open for further replies.

embers25

Established Member
I'm heading up to Sunderland today but on looking on the Grand Central webpage the advert for the £15 fare on the 0747 is gone. I know this offer was valid thru to July 24th so what is going on. I assume it has been "unpromoted" due to the horrendous overcrowding but surely they can't refuse to sell me the ticket as that would violate their own terms and conditions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Presumably there is a clause in the terms and conditions which states that "this offer may be terminated/withdrawn at short notice at the promoters discretion" ?

embers25

Established Member
Train not announced until 0744 as they were very late putting out reservations. Only about 15 seats unreserved and 3(!) first class coaches though 2 are declassified. Its now 0747 and train has plenty standing and lots still boarding! East Coast ticket office sold me the £15 ticket no problem so I guess they took the page down to try to control capacity with the York races being on. They are now advising those with Any Permitted tickets to use the 0800 which is smat. To be honest although its packed it's still dead by SWT standards!

TUC

Established Member
Train not announced until 0744 as they were very late putting out reservations. Only about 15 seats unreserved and 3(!) first class coaches though 2 are declassified.

Grand Central often use declassified first class coaches as part of their standard class set. it can be a very cheap way of getting o enjoy first class-style seating!

embers25

Established Member
Given all trains from Newcastle to Middlesborough via the coast are cureently being diverted and running non stop to Thornaby due to an obstruction on the line does anyone know whats happening to the 1629 GC which is currently parked in Pelaw siding?

OMGitsDAVE

Given all trains from Newcastle to Middlesborough via the coast are cureently being diverted and running non stop to Thornaby due to an obstruction on the line does anyone know whats happening to the 1629 GC which is currently parked in Pelaw siding?

Hey, was at Hartlepool Station when this unfolded.

Passengers from Hartlepool+Eaglescliffe were given taxis to Darlington where they met the GC train.

embers25

Established Member
In a bit of VERY uninspired planning we were given a new departure time of 1750 from Darlington to meet these taxis. This meant that despite being a few minutes ahead of our scheduled Northallerton departure time and even in the right order of trains (ie right in front of TPE) as we arrived at Ferryhill we then had to wait over 30 minutes there to await this new Darlington time meaning that because XC and EC were all late we ended up being very late. The icing on the cake was when they held us up 8 extra minutes to allow the 1600 from Edinburgh to pass us despite it being due to arrive after us and being slower. Net result was it delayed us further at Darlo and Peterborough. Our driver did seem VERY p***ed off at this extra previously unplanned delay as he trudged back from his second visit to the signal phone. Highlight was the stupid pathing when they held a freight at Durham to let us pass only for it to be allowed onto the main line behind us and run fast line to Darlo delaying everything including us for a second time. The signalman needs shooting and it's very noticeable that GC got no favours from the signalman anywhere including Peterboro, Newark Crossing or York. Similarly at York we had to dispatch ourselves (including pressing the platform dispatch button). All very bizarre and half ass. The guard was also very poor giving us few updates and clearly not knowing what was happening as she announced Ferryhill was "just outside Darlington station" and as soon as we moved from the signal she announced we were now arriving into Darlington...she then reannounced it correctly when we actually arrived 10 minutes later! To top it off just after we'd crawled thru Peterborough at 2007 following EC she announced our arrival would be 2045 which is completely impossible and even if she didn't know the Darlo diversion she should know PBO-London cannot be done in 38 minutes, particularly from a slow start and following another train. Very very poor. I noticed the GC to Bradford was 90+ minutes late too. All in all not hugely impressed with any aspect of GC except the fare and declassified first. Buffet had low stocks outbound and shut at Eaglescliffe.

embers25

Established Member
I was on from Sunderland. Despite the line having been closed for a while the boards at Sunderland were still showing us calling at Hartlepool and Eaglescliffe even as we left. They did make announcements on the station saying we weren't stopping but you couldn't hear them. The guard only made the announcement AFTER we left Sunderland which was not hugely helpful despite her telling me she knew whilst standing on the platform. It was funny as we arrived at Darlo when she said she hoped that those for the taxis to Hartlepool wouldn't have been too inconvenienced, despite it being an over 2 hour journey from Sunderland to Hartlepool with the delay! I realise the situation was fluid and the stupid EC favouring signalling was out of GC control but I'd love to know who decided on the 1750 Darlo time given we were 1740 from Northallerton originally and whether that was imposed or not by the signallers or some idiot in GC control come up with it and also why no-one informed the on train crew until the driver did. All in all very poor. Similarly on the way up on the 0747 the crew were late arriving to the stock not leaving enough time to put on reservations and also they didn't explain that some reservations from one coach had moved to another due to the 2 1st Class coaches replacing the Standard ones causing yet more chaos and arguments and a delayed departure. They also didn't start checking tickets until AFTER Eaglescliffe and indeed were still doing the initial check as we were nearing Sunderland so god knows how many travelled free. The train was full with standing until York but not that bad and certainly people were getting thru to the buffet so they could have checked very easily. My previous GC trip to Bradford was pretty good so I was expecting even better from the more established Sunderland route.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can understand your frustrations over the delay but I don't understand this...
They also didn't start checking tickets until AFTER Eaglescliffe and indeed were still doing the initial check as we were nearing Sunderland so god knows how many travelled free. The train was full with standing until York but not that bad and certainly people were getting thru to the buffet so they could have checked very easily.
I don't understand what you are trying to say here? The guard could have been busy dealing with other queries, are you suggesting that checking & selling tickets take priority over operations and organising taxis etc? What impact does this have on you, and why are you moaning about it?

Poor regulation is a fairly common problem, it's not always the signallers fault, it could be due to under-staffing & over-reliance on ARS or ludicrous practices and policies forced on signallers by Network Rail (ever met anyone who works for them who thinks they're a great, efficient, well-structured, well-managed organisation? No? Thought not ;))

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Sorry to hear about the delay. I've used GC's cheaper First Class offering five or six times over the last couple of years (all to/from Sunderland) and they're been great. However, I was delayed once and was given a taxi, with two others, from Hartlepool to Darlington to connect with an EC service to London where our tickets were accepted. I think I actually got into London a few minutes earlier than I would have if my train hadn't been delayed!

embers25

Established Member
The lack of ticket check was Northbound and so there was no taxi issue. My point was the guard delayed the departure of the train by being late to the stock and then made the delay worse by failing to make announcements about the moved reservations meaning people couldn't board quickly as corridors were blocked by people unable to find their seats. Then after all the chaos at the start they made no apology for the delay on departure(a fact commented on by several people on the train). I know the train gets loads of padding and so arrived early into York but other pax didn't know that. The reason I highlight the ticket check is that if GC are going to survive they need ticket revenue which requires the guards to actually issue tickets given you can buy on board. Also those needing tickets would have been delayed on arrival at York and the barrier staff would then have had to do her job and sell them tickets. The guard was not dealing with any queries and actually was conspicuous by her absence the few times I walked thru the train and certainly wasn't helping with people finding their moved seats. Maybe their were "operational issues" although I doubt it. It was also noticeable that at Hartlepool they blew the whistle and locked the doors over 2 minutes early although the driver refused to actually leave until dead on time.

Southbound the guard was very efficient at ticket checking but didn't announce the diversion to anyone and announced incorrect locations of the train and frankly impossible arrival times into London. Also no update was given regarding the delays en route so York pax had no idea just how late we were and after leaving York passengers asking her when we'd arrive into London were told that she wouldn't have any idea until after Peterborough which whilst probably true in reality isn't hugely helpful to those thinking we would be over 30minutes late. Also after passing Peterborough she then announced a completely infeasible projected arrival time.

Its just very very poor in both directions and as I said having used the Bradford train I was expecting better and they made East Coast seem almost good.

cuccir

Established Member
The reason I highlight the ticket check is that if GC are going to survive they need ticket revenue which requires the guards to actually issue tickets given you can buy on board.

I got the Saturday morning northbound £15 train the previous Saturday and had a not-quite-so-hectic experience, but it was still very busy with people standing to York. Its clear that the guard couldn't reasonably be expected to get through the train, but with a buy-on-board system I think GC have cocked-up by setting their fare too low, resulting in over-crowding, resulting in them not collecting fares.

OMGitsDAVE

Thing is, the only problem with this offer is the length of time it's on! If it were cut at the beginning of July, it would have saw a large number of passengers but the amount trains can deal with, whereas due to it finishing towards the end of the month it gives people more of an opportunity and of course, word gets around.

At the start of the promotion it was a small number of passengers using it, and now - as the stories say, there are hundreds. We'll see what happens after the Offer comes to an end...

sjj2112

I caught the 07:47 to Sunderland on Saturday morning and it was certainly chaotic at the start of the journey. I was thrown by the fact that I had a reservation for seat D49 when coach D only had 48 seats. A member of staff took me through to coach E and turfed somebody out of their seat in order to put my reservation ticket on it. Another thing that didn't help was the coach formation was B, D, C, E, F - I struggled to explain to a number of people in coach E that they had to pass through coach C in order to find their reserved seat in coach D.

I was also surprised that, certainly in my coach, there was no check/sale of tickets until after Northallerton. At least 2 people in the now much quieter coach bought tickets so one can only guess how many of those that disembarked at York didn't have a ticket.

embers25

Established Member
I like many others was turfed out of a seat as they finished putting the reservations on the seats at 0746! Also they only moved certain people to coach E and didn't make any announcement so unless you were lucky enough to catch one of the two women putting out the reservations as they passed it was tough. York was barriered for the racing and so the staff there should have caught everyone (although they shouldn't have to do the GC guards job...and yes it is her job along with dealing with "opertaional issues" and certainly 105mins was long enough for her to have made the effort to check) but those travelling beyond York where all stations are unbarriered would've got away free and indeed did in the case of many I spotted who were very happy on getting off. The only upside of the trip was yet again the excellent onboard cleaner. He ws also on the 1629 back and he did a great job keeping things clean. Not quite as good as the Bradford one that even polished the tables but still good.

Is it really the case that GC always self dispatch (inlcuding pressing the "off" light button) at York as that seemed very bizarre and certainly all the EC staff there chatting (and there were many as ever) did not seem interested in helping dispatch.

I also didn't consider that train overcrowded as most trains from Waterlo to Exeter have many more standing in summer and the guard usually always comes through.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Embers, sounds like you've had a right mare with them. For what its worth I've used them about 10 return journeys between London and Sunderland and up to this point, have had no real problems at all.

I have a £15 ticket north next Tuesday and a reservation in coach B... that IIRC is the northernmost coach and therefore may be declassified first, and therefore I wonder if teh reservation may be moved..

I am likely to make it to the platform as early as possible and find the d/c first and sit in an unreserved seat while I can! Alternatively, sit in first and pay the excess...!

embers25

Established Member
The Northernmost coach on the 0747 was the regular 1st class coach and they state that actual 1st is normally the most northern most coach....though given the 1629 reversed at Sunderland and so had it's 1st class coach nearest London that may not be the case now unless GC managed to turn it!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
To answer the original question, I've been assured that GC are honouring the £15 fares on the applicable trains. I will be taking one of these trains in the next couple of weeks and will report back.

Adam_Harrison

One of the HST sets is running around with two declassified first class coaches as coaches A+B and then coach C is Standard class and then coach E. Another set is running around 'backwards' with first class at the London end.

Status
Not open for further replies.