• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central 180 - Three Days Parked at Eaglescliffe. Marooned?

OGLO

A unit has been in the down loop since Saturday (I'm writing this on Tuesday).

If the train needs "fitters attention" (now there's a classic 1970's B.R, phrase...) before it can even limp away, is there any restriction on work taking place from the down cess side? If not, then without the intervention of an RAF Chinook, how might it be moved?

OGLO

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WF4HA5HE

A unit has been in the down loop since Saturday (I'm writing this on Tuesday).

If the train needs "fitters attention" (now there's a classic 1970's B.R, phrase...) before it can even limp away, is there any restriction on work taking place from the down cess side? If not, then without the intervention of an RAF Chinook, how might it be moved?

OGLO
Considering its in the loop i dont see why you couldn't work on the cess side and it is actually going to be limping back home to Crofton depot in about an hour as 5H17 2000 Eaglescliffe Down Loop to Crofton Depot.

OGLO

Ah! Thanks for the update! I've been monitoring Real Time Trains to see if it's planned to move. Then, just at the point that I post on here...

It does raise the question in my mind that, if something mechanically/electrically catastrophic had happened, how would folks get it into a fit state to be towed away without stopping the job on the adjacent line?

OGLO

skyhigh

Established Member
It does raise the question in my mind that, if something mechanically/electrically catastrophic had happened, how would folks get it into a fit state to be towed away without stopping the job on the adjacent line?
If necessary wheelskates and tow it away for attention somewhere else.

WF4HA5HE

Ah! Thanks for the update! I've been monitoring Real Time Trains to see if it's planned to move. Then, just at the point that I post on here...

OGLO
Wheel skated and a very slow tow back to the depot but that would take alot longer to arrange then getting a fitter to attend and pass it fit to run just to the depot presumably at a much reduced speed. Although I think they tried to move it yesterday and couldn't get it going but that only what I read on a Facebook group.

OGLO

I'd guess that there might just be some rusty set of rails at Tees Yard that could have been used. I wonder how fixable a 180 is "in the field". Generally, they seem elderly and fragile these days. I've often seen an anxious and weary riding fitter on board. Meanwhile, the failure rate of toilets and air conditioning is dragging their reputation down, if Trip Advisor reviews are accurate.

5H17 has just passed the end of my garden, and appears to have some flats, with a particularly severe one towards the trailing driving coach.

Last edited:

WF4HA5HE

I'd guess that there might just be some rusty set of rails at Tees Yard that could have been used. I wonder how fixable a 180 is "in the field". Generally, they seem elderly and fragile these days. I've often seen an anxious and weary riding fitter on board. Meanwhile, the failure rate of toilets and air conditioning is dragging their reputation down, if Trip Advisor reviews are accurate.
To be fair i think any train that is stuck away from a depot isn't easy for a fitter to fix. I guess they just need to get it working enough to get it back to the depot. In this case it would definitely be crofton as their would be no point taking it to Tyne yard is it would need to be at Crofton anyway. Crofton depot is were the majority of maintenance of the 180s is completed. Tyne yard and formally Heaton were just for refueling and light maintenance.

twpsaesneg

Considering its in the loop i dont see why you couldn't work on the cess side and it is actually going to be limping back home to Crofton depot in about an hour as 5H17 2000 Eaglescliffe Down Loop to Crofton Depot.

That headcode can't be a coincidence!

Nick82

180103 ECS move to Croften. Potential wheel flats or an issue with one of the wheel sets. Move will be made with a speed restriction

OGLO

180103 ECS move to Croften. Potential wheel flats or an issue with one of the wheel sets. Move will be made with a speed restriction
As per my earlier post, living 20 metres from the line, I can confirm that. One sounded particularly severe. The typical caution of drivers when slowing to a stop in these unfits now makes sense.

("5H17"... hehehe...)