• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central - Additional Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMGitsDAVE

From the website: http://www.grandcentralrail.co.uk

GC said:
Grand Central additional services Friday 27th November & Sunday 29th November 2009

Grand Central will be operating one extra service to and from london on Friday 27th November and Sunday 29th November.

It is also noted about Hartlepool Station Improvements. http://www.grandcentralrail.co.uk/hartlepoolstation
GC said:
Hartlepool Station Improvements

Please be aware that from 22 November to 4th April 2010 there will be major improvements taking place.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Interesting, although I'm now worried the HST will be used on that on Friday instead.

Bit short notice mind innit! At 1404 myself I'll be on the A40 towards Gloucester, so let's hope the HST is kept *as booked* on the 1918 KGX > SUN!

Do wonder why these are on though.

The 1404 path was generally used in July and August for 180 testing and training runs, running the booked 0918 path and returning at 1404, I did speculate at the time that since it was a validated path, GC would seek to use it as the basis for a "fifth" path.

I don't know why they are running these additional services for sure, but I suspect that they might be a sort of prooving run for a fifth path? The times for the new up service shock me slightly, being only 40 minutes ahead of the existing 1A61. I would have thought that commercially a path closer to 0745 allowing a London arrival approx 1120 would have made more sense, but I have no idea if a path would exist for such a departure from Sunderland.

I am also shocked that they have approval from the ORR to run these services, usually an operator can run additional services for a special event, but there is nothing particularly exciting happening that day, and surely if they are running 5 York-London returns this will increase the ammount of revenue they will take from EC, and I would have thought that these paths would need to have gained regulatory approval prior to running.

It's great to see GC expanding further if I am indeed correct in my theory about a prooving run for a 5th path M-F and I suspect a 4th path on a Sunday.

I was on 1A60 on Sunday morning, and I was shocked to see nearly 90 people boarding at Sunderland alone!

amn140174

The additional 1404 London Kings Cross-Sunderland will also operate on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve.

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
It is the St Nicholas Fayre (Christmas Market) in York that weekend which always attracts a large number of visitors - so maybe the extra service is connected to this.

Tin Miner

Will these additional services be classed as `off-peak' on the Fiday?

And out of interest, how is the 16.50 doing since the introduction of the new 19.19 KGX-SUN?

Status
Not open for further replies.