• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central declining service quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driverd

If Kings Cross is a designated PNB point for GC crews then they should have access to the available mess facilities. If not, then it wants looking into. The train is not an acceptable PNB point, even if some do opt to do so.

In fairness, won't this be dependent on the specific agreement? Some TOCs do allow DBCs to be taken on the train as has been negotiated with the relevant union.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I’m currently going through the process of refunding some AP tickets for tomorrow due to the high temperatures discouraging me from travelling. I purchased my tickets from their website and printed tickets a few days ago from a TVM and it seems like the only way I can get a refund is to fill out a PDF downloaded from their website, but I have no editing tool that will keep the formatting.

The LNER process for the return journey was easy, all I had to do was complete a form online, with one of the options in the Dropbox asking why I was refunding my ticket being ‘Advised not to travel due to adverse weather’.

Edit: I don’t think Grand Central will refund or exchange advance purchase tickets.

Last edited:

Kneedown

Established Member
In fairness, won't this be dependent on the specific agreement? Some TOCs do allow DBCs to be taken on the train as has been negotiated with the relevant union.
I forget the exact wording of our agreement on EMR, but there is provision for short "Cab environment breaks", but full PNBs must be able to be taken away from the train at a location with agreed facilities. That's not to say a Driver can't remain on the train if he/she so desires, but that wouldn't override any requirement to shut engines down. Not an issue on a 222 which keeps the A6 vehicle running in eco mode, but all vehicles shut down on a 180.

class397tpe

I’m currently going through the process of refunding some AP tickets for tomorrow due to the high temperatures discouraging me from travelling. I purchased my tickets from their website and printed tickets a few days ago from a TVM and it seems like the only way I can get a refund is to fill out a PDF downloaded from their website, but I have no editing tool that will keep the formatting.

The LNER process for the return journey was easy, all I had to do was complete a form online, with one of the options in the Dropbox asking why I was refunding my ticket being ‘Advised not to travel due to adverse weather’.

Edit: I don’t think Grand Central will refund or exchange advance purchase tickets.
Try using Microsoft Edge - the PDF viewer on there allows you to add text / writing, and save it as a new pdf file.

deep south

I used them recently, the only good thing was the non-stop run from York to Kings Cross.

I walked to the buffet to buy a couple of teas etc to be told I couldn't pay by card and had to order on the web. I walked back to my seat to order and pay on the web and then had to walk back through two coaches to collect my order.

The host seemed to be a bit surprised when I said that it was ridiculous I couldn't pay by card at the buffet counter.

As others have stated the 180s seem very shabby these days.
I am surprised that you were surprised as there are clear announcements stating this. I think the idea is to minimize the cash handling and encourage people to use the ordering system. It's been like this for a while now.

It's good when you are in 1st class as they still bring your order to you.

AY1975

Established Member
I've used GC between King's Cross and Doncaster a few times and generally found them to be OK, although one thing that isn't so good about the GC 180s' current interiors is that they no longer have curtains in First Class.

I've bought First Class upgrades on GC (and on LNER) a few times using the Seatfrog app. Returning from London to Doncaster on the 19.27 on a Sunday a few weeks ago I got an upgrade using Seatfrog but the First Class coach on my train had been removed for maintenance, but I found a Standard Class seat close to the one that I had originally reserved. I then contacted GC using the online form on their website and explained the situation. I haven't heard back from them yet although it did say that they may take up to 6 weeks to reply. I'm hoping that they will send me either a cash refund of the £9 I paid for my upgrade or a rail travel voucher or e-voucher.

BenBru

GC was my first preference to get from Halifax to London, despite the circuitous and enjoyable route to Doncaster. Staff have always been and still are wonderful.

What's changed since Covid is that the wider network has moved on eons, the other ECML open access operators and the Azuma offer. The stock for GC looks quite shabby as if they are on temporary loan from GWR(?)

The first class offer is now dire. A wider seat, but since there's no first class host there's no onc policing first class so why pay when everyone else just sits in the comfiest seat on the train? What used to be attentive at seat service with endless tea and snacks made up for the long journey times and bad reliability but not any more.

I'd join those saying the service is being run down which would be a great shame.

James90012

Pretty much agreed with the other posters - the ECML has been transformed by Azumas and LNER's broader service offer and the 180s are now the left-behinds. Grand Central used to be the eye-catching, sleek express trains but now they feel like a budget offer.

For me, the reasons I no longer use GC are: the fact the tray tables aren't large enough for a laptop, the lack of luggage space due to the tiny overhead racks, being unable to select a seat - or even request airline, the ever changing payment policies from the onboard shop and the diesel engines rattling away.

I'd only now travel with them on the traditionally quieter services from London in the middle of the day/week, the 16.48 Northbound and any train Southbound on a Sunday are just unpleasant.

Towers

Established Member
GC was my first preference to get from Halifax to London, despite the circuitous and enjoyable route to Doncaster. Staff have always been and still are wonderful.

What's changed since Covid is that the wider network has moved on eons, the other ECML open access operators and the Azuma offer. The stock for GC looks quite shabby as if they are on temporary loan from GWR(?)

The first class offer is now dire. A wider seat, but since there's no first class host there's no onc policing first class so why pay when everyone else just sits in the comfiest seat on the train? What used to be attentive at seat service with endless tea and snacks made up for the long journey times and bad reliability but not any more.

I'd join those saying the service is being run down which would be a great shame.
Do their guards not check tickets, then?

I thought GC had refurbed all the 180s, I presume some didn't get the makeover?

deep south

Yes, there are still ticket checks so any "interlopers" will/should be caught. Prior to Covid there was a dedicated host who did regular tea/coffee/biscuit runs who would also go and fetch whatever you ordered from the buffet... They still do an "at seat" delivery service in 1st for orders from the app.

Towers

Established Member
Yes, there are still ticket checks so any "interlopers" will/should be caught. Prior to Covid there was a dedicated host who did regular tea/coffee/biscuit runs who would also go and fetch whatever you ordered from the buffet... They still do an "at seat" delivery service in 1st for orders from the app.
No complimentaries at all now?

driverd

They are all refurbished, just they've been refurbished to a worse state than they started in. From a tired looking first group interior, to what feels to all extents like easytrain (the colour palette is near enough easyjet). The seats are horrendously uncomfortable unless you are short, as they fitted bulky headrests which never used to be there. These force you to either slouch or just accept being uncomfortable. The seat padding is also widely inconsistent/displaced.

The general ambiance has just changed from "up and coming premium operator" to "we don't care, just take our cheap fares". Unfortunately this seems to be reflected in the staff first and foremost.

johntea

Established Member
One thing I've always been desperate to know is who on earth does the automated female voice announcements on board bexause I can't get it out of my head that it's Sarah Millican just because of the strong North East twang (it isn't :D)

Nippy

I am surprised that you were surprised as there are clear announcements stating this. I think the idea is to minimize the cash handling and encourage people to use the ordering system. It's been like this for a while now.

I didn’t hear announcements. I didn’t want to pay cash, I wanted to pay by card. The buffet Bloke said I could have paid cash at the counter.

TUC

Established Member

That seems a system designed for the convenience of staff rather than passengers. It's exactly the kind of trap that Grand Central would have once taken pride in avoiding.

BenBru

Took me a while to spot thge comment below, yes refurbished but somehow downgraded! And for the last two trips I made tickets weren't checked as the service was so full.

Efini92

Established Member
There is one,possibly two GC units which stable overnight in Bradford Interchange and they are left idling all night just for the reason that they might not be able to restart them the following morning
Is that a recent thing? They used to be shut down with all the batteries isolated. I always found it strange that they didn’t need to display a tail lamp.

M1544

GC only regularly stable overnight at Bradford Interchange on a Saturday night in recent years, and yes they DO shut down the trains each time, and start them up again on a Sunday morning. It’s not true they leave them running overnight.

XAM2175

Established Member
The seats are horrendously uncomfortable unless you are short, as they fitted bulky headrests which never used to be there. These force you to either slouch or just accept being uncomfortable. The seat padding is also widely inconsistent/displaced.
And even if you are short, they're far too steeply reclined.

ChilternTurbo

One thing I've always been desperate to know is who on earth does the automated female voice announcements on board bexause I can't get it out of my head that it's Sarah Millican just because of the strong North East twang (it isn't :D)
It is (or was back in 2019) one of the on-board team who was asked to make the recordings. I was trying to place who it was and asked the train manager. The sing song pronunciation of Sunderland stood out to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.