• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central Fare Changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Sources tell me that from September Grand Central will stop offering their "Senior" fares, but will introduce Advance fares in line with other operators. Will see if I can get more info, but if anyone else has anything, feel free to post the info here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Might make me travel a bit more with GC now...

I hardly ever buy tickets other than advances or Rovers now (unless it is a short local trip). So that means that GC normally get very little money from me.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Providing the prices are sensible this is a good move. e.g. it could be £15 on the trains that do not have a lot of demand, but for the trains that are always busy there should be no availability. There is currently not enough yield management.

It would be even better if they made their singles half the price of the return (they are currently a little bit more than that), if they did that then they could really push the idea of buying 2 x singles and not being penalised. EC are already doing this when you book online (which undercuts GC!).

Having just read through the olympic ticket thread i wonder if GC had the olympics in mind on this decision, given most people going will book in advance they dont wanna miss the boat

DelayRepay

Established Member
I've just tried to book tickets for 11 September, Doncaster to London, and am being offered a £19 GC advance ticket. £1 cheaper than the equivalent on Hull Trains.

Established Member
Quite annoying a choice of 3 operators to London from Donny, whereas realistically the West Coast has just one :(

....well, for now

HST Power

Established Member
Five to fifteen year old's can also travel free on Grand Central Trains this summer, on journeys to or from London Kings Cross. Up to two children can travel for free when accompanied by an adult (if not, the fare applies). You must also be in Standard, upgrades to First Class are not available, but that's still quite a good offer.

scotsman

Established Member
Five to fifteen year old's can also travel free on Grand Central Trains this summer, on journeys to or from London Kings Cross. Up to two children can travel for free when accompanied by an adult (if not, the fare applies). You must also be in Standard, upgrades to First Class are not available, but that's still quite a good offer.

Sounds similar to ScotRail's "Kids go Free" - just a CDR which allows two free children per adult, any route, any day.

It should be used more, it managed to get my parents, who rarely used trains, on trains when there were roadworks in Edinburgh/Forth Road Bridge

HST Power

Established Member
It should be used more, it managed to get my parents, who rarely used trains, on trains when there were roadworks in Edinburgh/Forth Road Bridge

That's one of the many things I like about train travel. Providing I'm on a fast service (stoppers drive me crazy) it can really pull time out of the bag in comparison to being stuck on a motorway, waiting for lights to change and crawling along at 30mph because some fool has stuck their car in the central reservation....

ALEMASTER

And to think what a big song and dance they made about not offering advance tickets when they first launched....

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
And to think what a big song and dance they made about not offering advance tickets when they first launched....
You're quite right. They did.

However, a lot has changed, and they as Operators now have a few years' hard data to inform their decisions rather than the speculative projections of a new comer.
Their biggest competitor (and it really has been quite agressive competition at times) is, of course, East Coast. EC has put a lot of expenditure into their marketing and, in particular, promoting their headline low-cost advance ticket prices, to the extent that casual pax could be forgiven for believing that the price (the only price) for their long distance journeys are those heavily promoted headline prices (such as £15 London - Newcastle).
These promotions, although disingenuous by misleadng passengers into comparisons which are not comparable, and failing to point out that most journeys are NOT at those prices, have undermined GC's initial advantage of simple and low-cost fares.
Then, EC continued to increase prices overall, and did not provide quotas of their promoted headline cheapies on many services. In fact, they increased the differential (between Anytime and cheapest Advance) and emphasised additional facilities which GC did not offer (free Wi-Fi when GC had little or none), on board meals while GC have none etc. and to put the knife in deeper, management STILL accuse GC of ORCAGTS raids on ECML revenue
while remaining silent on their own gains in that respect with their outer-reaches once-a-day services.

Anyway, my response is that GC did make a song and dance about one of their greatest differences in their initial years, they'd spotted another opportunity to offer a genuine difference. Now that the context (the competition) has changed (partly in response and partly through market opportunities and innovation) they've now produced their own response. Yes, its a 'U-turn'. But why not? While their own prices have been increasing progresively, some on here have been hoping that they'd start to offer Advances.
Its probably exactly the right thing for GC to do right now.

It is likely to persuade me to travel with them more regularly now, following the deterioration in service on EC and the high very prices on EC.
(Prices: today with GC from Sunderland - London £74 - about twice the price at their launch. today with EC from Newcastle - London £143. Both Standard calss singles.)

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ian Yeowart decided the original policies, of course he has been gone for a while now, and there was certainly some fallout after that.

Anyway GC have blundered many times with their fare policy. It's not perfect now, but having AP tickets is a step in the right direction.

Their original claim was you'd pay the same price for any train, but a supplement would apply on peak trains, they tried to word that as a good thing, but it was absurd and went down like a lead balloon. After a few weeks only one guard was reportedly charging the supplement and it was quietly dropped. Then they changed their tickets to Anytime and Off Peak. Yet the morning train from KGX was valid on an Off Peak ticket if routed GC Only, but not an Any Permitted, and the morning train to KGX was not valid on an Off Peak ticket if routed GC Only, but was valid on an Off Peak ticket if routed GC Only. As far as I know these ludicrous restrictions still exist, and the rail industry has the cheek to call it "simple" and make the false claim that the ticket names "describe when you can travel".

I got the Chieftain to King's Cross (1355 from York) a couple of days ago, we only left York 1 minute before the GC was due to depart, and I took a look at the loadings, it wasn't very well loaded, because anyone looking for cheap tickets would have gone with EC's 1401 departure. Yet GC trains at certain times are wedged. Clearly they need yield management. We did the journey in 1 hr 44 mins, departing about 8 mins late and arriving 7 early, but the GC took about 20 minutes longer. It would have cost me a lot more to take GC, as no cheap ticket was available.

GC tried to be different, and in many ways that was to be admired, however they have to be realistic. Given that every other comparable company is using Advance tickets to manage demand, then they would have remained at a serious disadvantage if they did not follow suit. Especially now, with the new EC timetable, more trains, and more chance of getting cheap tickets on the York terminators.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It is likely to persuade me to travel with them more regularly now, following the deterioration in service on EC and the high very prices on EC.
(Prices: today with GC from Sunderland - London £74 - about twice the price at their launch. today with EC from Newcastle - London £143. Both Standard calss singles.)
I agree, but if you book far in advance EC remains very cheap. But on the day at the station (or on board) GC is much more affordable than EC. But another thing EC has done, that could damage GC, is introduce half-price Off Peak Singles online. The price of an off peak single bought on the EC website is conveniently lower than the GC only off peak single (and valid on GC).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yorkie,

I am getting the 1401 off York on Monday because it is the cheapest ticket on the market. However I often get no notice on travel and agree that GC are the cheapest on both turn up and go and short notice tickets. If I can book in advance i tend to get GC on the down and EC on the up, often because of timings AND cost. The 1601 off York is often the cheapest ticket of the day so I often come back on this service. If I can wangle an overnight the 1649 GC off the Cross is the train I aim for because it is a flying machine. The last one i got was into York at 1832!

However the 1918 especially, but not limited to , a Friday is a nightmare. I have often had to stand to York. People stood throughout the length of the train are not unusual. Clearly there is scope for yield management!

That half price single effort form EC is going to cause GC a few headaches. The competition between the two is STILL aggressive to say the least. However i think GC being there does force EC to be more competitive

scotsman

Established Member
That's one of the many things I like about train travel. Providing I'm on a fast service (stoppers drive me crazy) it can really pull time out of the bag in comparison to being stuck on a motorway, waiting for lights to change and crawling along at 30mph because some fool has stuck their car in the central reservation....

They were converts as soon as they got the receipt for £7.40...and the 30 minute queue for the bridge

spionkop64

The GC offers on the West Riding route appear to have paid dividends. Throughout this weekend all the Bradford services have been well loaded, some even execptionally busy with few if any seats available. It is notable that EC have taken lots of bus adverts out in the Bradford area highlighting London single tickets 'from' £11.

When the school holidays end that will be when GC will discover whether their offers have enticed regular repeat journey's.

On another note, due to engineering work their services have this weekend been routed via Hare Park. On the Saturday it didn't make much difference as restricted paths kept the journey time virtually the same, Sunday was different with end-to-end journey times that completed with EC.

The gloves are off!

DelayRepay

Established Member
I must admit I have switched to GC for my last few trips home from London to Doncaster. I usually go with East Coast but on a Friday evening it's difficult to get a cheap ticket unless you book ages in advance, and I'm not organised enough to do that for every trip home. The only drawback is having to wait longer at Kings Cross but the financial saving more than makes up for it.

When I've been on the train, it seemed many of my fellow passengers had done the same thing. Last week everyone at my table had the £15 tickets and commented what good value they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.