• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central HSTs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rail-britain

Established Member
I hold several contracts and have various forms of income, one thing I learned from years ago is never base your income on just one job
If I lose one of my jobs now it is more inconvenient than financially threatening
My main employment now is as a Loss Prevention Officer, this pays the most money!
I also work for three other companies in other roles on a part-time basis
At home I run a website hosting company, but that's more of a hobby
Locally I am involved in a computer installation company, through one of the contracts mentioned above

I was invited to the launch of service last year, along with three other people, as part of the press invitation (for another website I am involved in)
This includes me having to read railway press releases on a daily basis
I have also had direct contact with two of the non-Executive directors of Grand Central Railway, but to find out who they are you would need to read the documents at Companies House
One of them would surprise you, and then you will understand the references to the ORR

The on-board Wifi is pre-packaged from Icomera
As a Swedish company they will be supplying and fitting the equipment
Since I will be on the launch services, I offered to supply a small number of mobile WiFi enabled devices to promote and demonstrate the service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pathfinder

I hold several contracts and have various forms of income, one thing I learned from years ago is never base your income on just one job
If I lose one of my jobs now it is more inconvenient than financially threatening
My main employment now is as a Loss Prevention Officer, this pays the most money!
I also work for three other companies in other roles on a part-time basis
At home I run a website hosting company, but that's more of a hobby
Locally I am involved in a computer installation company, through one of the contracts mentioned above

I was invited to the launch of service last year, along with three other people, as part of the press invitation (for another website I am involved in)
This includes me having to read railway press releases on a daily basis
I have also had direct contact with two of the non-Executive directors of Grand Central Railway, but to find out who they are you would need to read the documents at Companies House
One of them would surprise you, and then you will understand the references to the ORR

The on-board Wifi is pre-packaged from Icomera
As a Swedish company they will be supplying and fitting the equipment
Since I will be on the launch services, I offered to supply a small number of mobile WiFi enabled devices to promote and demonstrate the service

Cheers for that ;)

diligentdave

It's good to see formed opinion and speculation based on heresay,rumour,and general guesswork can still generate a lengthy conversation within a discussion topic.
From people who drive,conduct,reimburse and all walks of life within the rail industry.
Grand Central will run its service when all's good and ready, not before, and not after, so keep a hold of those tickets, I'm sure theres plenty of bidders on eBay who'd pay for a souvenier.

To those who have been training on the engine and coaching stock, keep up the good work.The more you know and learn, the better the initial kick off to the service will be. But please, take your rubbish with you when you finish for the day,also,as you are well aware,driving cabs are no smoking areas under law.

To those who wish to prove a point, I'm sure Icomera would rather prove their WiFi installation works well themselves than procure services from a 3rd party.

Yes, the power cars are vinyled,the engines have been overhauled, the trailer cars are painted, and actually the train as a set will look good in this livery.

rail-britain

Established Member
To those who wish to prove a point, I'm sure Icomera would rather prove their WiFi installation works well themselves than procure services from a 3rd party
Icomera are only supplying the equipment, it is being installed during the coach refurbishment process, by yet another 3rd party
The onboard staff will be quite busy with other things on the first few days
Since I am travelling on the inaugural services I offered to assist with the computers and WiFi, since it is a system I am already familiar with

T

Tom

Icomera hardly need to prove themselves - they already provide the WiFi service on GNER Mallard and HSTs.

Pathfinder

It's good to see formed opinion and speculation based on heresay,rumour,and general guesswork can still generate a lengthy conversation within a discussion topic.
From people who drive,conduct,reimburse and all walks of life within the rail industry.
Grand Central will run its service when all's good and ready, not before, and not after, so keep a hold of those tickets, I'm sure theres plenty of bidders on eBay who'd pay for a souvenier.

To those who have been training on the engine and coaching stock, keep up the good work.The more you know and learn, the better the initial kick off to the service will be. But please, take your rubbish with you when you finish for the day,also,as you are well aware,driving cabs are no smoking areas under law.

To those who wish to prove a point, I'm sure Icomera would rather prove their WiFi installation works well themselves than procure services from a 3rd party.

Yes, the power cars are vinyled,the engines have been overhauled, the trailer cars are painted, and actually the train as a set will look good in this livery.

Dave,i take it that you must be in a position of authority within Grand Central then ? ;)

BOSCH

Dave,I took all my rubbish with me and I dont smoke ! :D:D

diligentdave

Dave,i take it that you must be in a position of authority within Grand Central then ? ;)
Dave,I took all my rubbish with me and I dont smoke !

PF:No,I'm not in a position of authority within GC.
Bosch:No problem, please remind your colleagues to clean up after themselves, coffee cups,papers,shoe covers etc,not nice.

Sir_Clagalot

Not GC? Must be Sovereign Trains then ;)
The shoe covers were scattered around the vestibules to begin with... And yes, I took all my rubbish with me, nor do I smoke either!

Ive said before, if it aint nailed down the souvenir hunters will take it all!! I can see them trying to remove the table top vinyls with the board games on... even though they dont have the GC logo on!!

diligentdave

Not Sovereign Trains either. Who's left? :idea:

Anyhow,not worried about trophy hunters.What disappoints me is the inside of the trailers.
I like the tables,seating (reclining seats,havent seen that in a while),and floor/wall trim,very nice.
What disappoints is the re-use of old armrests (quite a few look tatty already),lack of facilities inside the coach toilets (they look very old) and general state of some of the equipment in the cupboards.

rail-britain

Established Member
In the same way Stagecoach Holdings operate different companies to spread the risk, the company that owns GCR have split their operation into about 3 different companies
One will own the rolling stock and lease it back to GCR
Route 26 will provide and operate the catering
Grand Union will be another company and they will operate one of the other franchises

Sir_Clagalot

I know that the sets are leased to GC by Sovereign Trains.
Catering is contracted out to Innovations, not a GC Holdings company
Route 26 is the branding for the catering services and is owned by GC/Innovations, it says so on the sample menus on the GC website
Grand Union will be the West Coast operation, again on the Open Access principles.

BOSCH

diligentdave

Answer to the first:No,not a gaffer,but have a big say in what happens.
Answer to the second...back half of next week(ish)

Donny Dave

Established Member
Sir_Clagalot, I can't go into any detail, but I know who Diligentdave is, and what his job is, because I speak to him quite a lot over MSN. Anyway you have a (another) PM coming your way shortly.

Sir_Clagalot

More than likely, as the drivers need traction handling and we need route knowledge with our stock, not just hired in stock.

rail-britain

Established Member
I'm watching the ORR website for details of non-passenger HST operations
GCR can of course use the paths they already have approval for these

diligentdave

Hmmm,what do I do?
Well,obviously I work at Heaton, yes, it's for Northern.
And yes,I have quite a say in what goes on with GC.
Not going to overstep my bounds here though!!:dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.